ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 application question for Present Nationality

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Satish1986
Newly Registered
India

MN1 application question for Present Nationality

Post by Satish1986 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:21 pm

Hi,

I really need your help as I’m getting more confused and unable to complete MN1 online application.

My son was born in UK in November 2017. At that time I was on Tier 2 (General) visa. In February 2019 I applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in UK and received it. As per UK rule my son is now eligible to apply for a British citizenship as one parent acquired ILR after his birth. I did a little research and found out that I have to apply using MN1 form (form application for registration of a child under 18 as a British citizen). In that form I need to write child’s nationality. Initially I thought that my son would become Indian citizen automatically because both the parents are Indian. And my son does not have an Indian passport, visa and any other documents except UK birth certificate.

Kindly let me know what should fill in item 1.9 (MN1) - Present Nationality through online application?

Application is incomplete if I leave it as a blank for the Present Nationality section.

Thank you,
Satish

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: MN1 application question for Present Nationality

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:12 am

Indian - as baby by default takes parents nationality at birth.

I applied for my daughter in the same situation as yours. I put Pakistani and all was good. She does not have any Pakistani Passport/Visa/Any Pakistani Document or never had one.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:56 am

If the child was not registered with the Indian authorities (relevant High Commission/Consulate, etc) as an Indian citizen, the child is stateless. That can be stated on the application form.
tier11417 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:12 am
Indian - as baby by default takes parents nationality at birth.
Not always true. For instance, Indian and Australian children born outside those countries do not automatically acquire their parents' citizenship, but must be registered with the diplomatic authorities of those countries in order to acquire citizenship.
Similarly, children born abroad to British citizens by descent do not automatically acquire British citizenship, but can be registered if certian conditions are met.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:38 am

Thanks for the clarification. I did as stated above but it worked for me. Good to learn something new.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.