ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mabsa_guy
Newly Registered
Portugal

Question

Post by Mabsa_guy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Hi all,

I am an EU citizen and have moved to the UK in September 2014 to take a 1-year MSc programme. Since July 2015 I am working in the UK. Since I have completed over 4 years in the UK, I was thinking of applying to PR. However, I have a few questions:

1. Am I only allowed to apply for it from September 2019 onwards or can I start the application process some months before?

2. I was a student for 1 year. Does that pose any barriers to this process? I am assuming it will count towards the 5 years.

Many thanks for your help.

sfljiaf
European Union

Re: Question

Post by sfljiaf » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:59 pm

1. Correct, you will only get PR from 5 years after your arrival. By that time, if Brexit goes ahead, it'll be "settled status" rather than PR.

2. For PR, if you were a student you would have to show that you had comprehensive health insurance. (NHS doesn't count. EHIC card from your home country does though, I think.) I think for settled status this isn't a requirement anymore though.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:59 pm

Mabsa_guy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:48 pm
1. Am I only allowed to apply for it from September 2019 onwards or can I start the application process some months before?
You can start preparing the application and gathering the required documents in advance, in fact, it is a good idea not to leave things for the last minute. But you will only be granted PR when you can demonstrate 5 years; send your application after that date.
2. I was a student for 1 year. Does that pose any barriers to this process? I am assuming it will count towards the 5 years.
Your student time can only count toward the 5 years if you held Comprehensive Sickness Insurance throughout that time.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:01 pm

sfljiaf wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:59 pm
1. Correct, you will only get PR from 5 years after your arrival. By that time, if Brexit goes ahead, it'll be "settled status" rather than PR.
Also, this.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.