ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration Certificate for EU Citizens

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

salman_zahid
Newly Registered
Belgium

Registration Certificate for EU Citizens

Post by salman_zahid » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:09 pm

Dears,

I am a Belgian Citizen planning to move to UK in March.
Can anyone assist if its still possible to apply for Registration Certificate for EU citizens and how long the process takes. Also Is it possible to apply for the residence certificate as a job seeker?

Looking forward to your advice.

Salman

kamoe
European Union

Re: Registration Certificate for EU Citizens

Post by kamoe » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:44 am

If you intend to arrive in the UK before 29th March:

You can apply for either

a) a Registration Certificate as a job seeker (but this is not a legal requirement).
Difficult to tell how long this takes, as very few people apply for this, it is usually done as a joint application as the same time as Residence Cards for Family members, whose timelines you can check here eea-route-applications/eea-fm-eea2-time ... -1180.html

b) Pre-Settled status.
The outcome in your case will likely be very straightforward, you will receive email confirmation within 48 hours.

If you intend to arrive in the UK after 29th March, the situation is much more uncertain, as:

If The UK leaves the EU with a deal, you have until the 31st December 2020 to come to the UK, and until 30th June 2021 to apply for Pre-Settled Status only (no Registration Certificate).

If the UK leaves the EU with no-deal, you you will not be eligible to apply for any of the above. You will need instead to apply for the proposed European Temporary Leave to Remain route, which will not entitle you to stay in the UK more than 3 years, after which you need to apply to stay through a new immigration system.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

salman_zahid
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by salman_zahid » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:58 pm

Hi Kamoe,

Thanks for your input, If its not necessary for us to apply the registration certificate, what document do the EU nationals need to have, to start living and working in the UK. What will be the evidence we will need to produce after 5 years of residence to prove we had live in the UK for a continuous 5 years.

I am actually not really understanding where to start with? Can you please help and advise the first few steps we need to be able to start living in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:15 pm

My reply above was meant to make you realize that your arrival date is extremely important, and it can change your options considerably. When exactly in March are you planning to arrive in the UK?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

salman_zahid
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by salman_zahid » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:23 am

kamoe wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:15 pm
My reply above was meant to make you realize that your arrival date is extremely important, and it can change your options considerably. When exactly in March are you planning to arrive in the UK?
My planned date of arrival into the UK is 01/March/2019.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:53 am

salman_zahid wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:23 am
You need to get a National Insurance number when you arrive. Besides that, you do not need anything else to start legally living and working in the UK.
Application info for a National Insurance Number is here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

You can apply for Pre-Settled Status anytime between your arrival date and the hard deadline:
If the UK leaves the EU with no deal: Deadline is December 31st 2020
If the UK leaves the EU with a deal: Deadline is June 30th 2021.

Again, having Pre-Settled status is not legally necessary immediately after you arrive, it only becomes compulsory from the applicable deadlines above. But there is nothing stopping you from applying straight away once you have a National Insurance number.

According to the Settlement Scheme, after you have completed five years in the UK (in your case March 1st 2024), you can then apply for Settled status.

All information regarding application to Pre-Settled and Settled status via the Settlement Scheme, including documents to supply, can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families

salman_zahid
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by salman_zahid » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:29 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:53 am
salman_zahid wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:23 am
You need to get a National Insurance number when you arrive. Besides that, you do not need anything else to start legally living and working in the UK.
Application info for a National Insurance Number is here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

You can apply for Pre-Settled Status anytime between your arrival date and the hard deadline:
If the UK leaves the EU with no deal: Deadline is December 31st 2020
If the UK leaves the EU with a deal: Deadline is June 30th 2021.

Again, having Pre-Settled status is not legally necessary immediately after you arrive, it only becomes compulsory from the applicable deadlines above. But there is nothing stopping you from applying straight away once you have a National Insurance number.

According to the Settlement Scheme, after you have completed five years in the UK (in your case March 1st 2024), you can then apply for Settled status.

All information regarding application to Pre-Settled and Settled status via the Settlement Scheme, including documents to supply, can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families
Thank you very much.

Clear now! I will make an application for National Insurance as soon as we arrive in the UK. Just one more stupid question, from the website, i see that we can only make an application on the phone, is this a strict rule or we can just walk into a job center plus office nearby our place or residence and make an application?

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:25 pm

salman_zahid wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:29 pm
from the website, i see that we can only make an application on the phone, is this a strict rule or we can just walk into a job center plus office nearby our place or residence and make an application?
Haven't tried that, but if it says on the website that you need to apply by phone, then that's probably the only way you can do it.

salman_zahid
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by salman_zahid » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:25 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:25 pm
Haven't tried that, but if it says on the website that you need to apply by phone, then that's probably the only way you can do it.
Hi Kamoe,

I got an appointment for me and my wife for NI number, how will my children be considered as UK residents?
The officials told me that there will be no NI numbers for children?
Thanks in advance

Salman

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:33 pm

salman_zahid wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:25 pm
how will my children be considered as UK residents?
Via their school registration.

salman_zahid
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by salman_zahid » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:08 pm

HI Kamoe,

Thanks for your help, i was able to apply for my NI number.
I will apply for Pre settled status soon.
I still have one question, my dad is visiting Belgium and I want him to travel to UK with me, At the moment he does not have a UK Visa. Can he travel with me to UK as a family member of the EU citizen. Just to add that he is visiting on a Visitor Visa and does not hold the Residence card. Can we request a Stamp Code 1A for him at Calais?

Thanks in advance.

Salman

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:31 am

What's his nationality?

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:49 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:31 am
What's his nationality?
Kamoe, the father is just visiting - what does it matter where he comes from? If he were from the U.S. or Australia, or such, he wouldn't even need a visa to come to Europe. The father obviously has no status in Belgium.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:54 pm

NatCam wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:49 pm
kamoe wrote:
What's his nationality?
Kamoe, the father is just visiting - what does it matter where he comes from? If he were from the U.S. or Australia, or such, he wouldn't even need a visa to come to Europe. The father obviously has no status in Belgium.
It is useful to have the full picture in most cases. Sometimes it is irrelevant, sometimes not. See similar post: eea-route-applications/could-you-please ... 77404.html

salman_zahid
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by salman_zahid » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:23 am

kamoe wrote:
What's his nationality?
Hi is from Pakistan

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:14 am

salman_zahid wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:08 pm
I still have one question, my dad is visiting Belgium and I want him to travel to UK with me, At the moment he does not have a UK Visa. Can he travel with me to UK as a family member of the EU citizen. Just to add that he is visiting on a Visitor Visa and does not hold the Residence card. Can we request a Stamp Code 1A for him at Calais?
He needs either a visitor visa or a family permit:
https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/paki ... ism/yes/no

If your dad is dependent on you, then he can apply for a family permit: https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/eu-set ... ily-permit

If he is not dependent on you, then he needs to apply for a visitor's visa: https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa