ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ceremony within 90 days

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pumen1983
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Travel after certificate / before UK passport is issued

Post by pumen1983 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:04 pm

Thanks a lot to this forum for such great coverage of UK immigration issues. I browsed the forum, but couldn't find any clear response to my issues, so will really appreciate if someone advises on the below.

My application for the British citizenship has been approved on Monday. I have not scheduled my ceremony yet because I am unsure whether I can travel on my old passport (USA) while I am awaiting my UK passport. I travel quite a lot for work, so it might be a bit tricky for me if I am not allowed to travel. I heard receipt of the passport can take ages and there is no fast track.

My questions are:

- What happens if I do not attend a citizenship ceremony within 90 days of approval date? Does the approval get rescinded and do I become ineligible for the citizenship? Can 90 days be extended?

- Can I apply for the UK passport prior to attending a ceremony? I can see some forum members submitted their passport applications together with their naturalisation applications? My solicitor told me that I cannot do it, so I did not apply.

- Do I have to submit my original US passport together with the application for UK passport or can I keep it?

- Do I have to apply for UK passport immediately after receiving the naturalisation certificate, or can I apply within 1-2 months, for example, once my travel schedule is not as busy?

- and the key question: once I attend the ceremony and obtain a naturalisation certificate, can I still enter / re enter the UK on my US passport? I obviously do not need any visa to enter the UK and can stay for six months. My naturalisation certificate will be my confirmation for lawful residence / work rights in the UK. Does the UK law require British citizens to enter the UK on a British passport only? I could not find any clear information on this. For example, US citizens cannot enter US on any other passport, even if they have dual/multiple citizenships, does UK also have this requirement? Can there be any issues at the border if I show my US passport / UK citizenship certificate and explain to the immigration officer that I am in the process of obtaining UK passport due to recently becoming British citizen?

Many thanks for responses.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Travel after certificate / before UK passport is issued

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:21 pm

answer to some of the questions ....
pumen1983 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:04 pm
Thanks a lot to this forum for such great coverage of UK immigration issues. I browsed the forum, but couldn't find any clear response to my issues, so will really appreciate if someone advises on the below.

My application for the British citizenship has been approved on Monday. I have not scheduled my ceremony yet because I am unsure whether I can travel on my old passport (USA) while I am awaiting my UK passport. I travel quite a lot for work, so it might be a bit tricky for me if I am not allowed to travel. I heard receipt of the passport can take ages and there is no fast track.

My questions are:

- What happens if I do not attend a citizenship ceremony within 90 days of approval date? Does the approval get rescinded and do I become ineligible for the citizenship? Can 90 days be extended?

- Can I apply for the UK passport prior to attending a ceremony? I can see some forum members submitted their passport applications together with their naturalisation applications? My solicitor told me that I cannot do it, so I did not apply. Solicitor is right - the option is no longer available.

- Do I have to submit my original US passport together with the application for UK passport or can I keep it? You must submit original passport and certificate

- Do I have to apply for UK passport immediately after receiving the naturalisation certificate, or can I apply within 1-2 months, for example, once my travel schedule is not as busy? Passport is not compulsory - you can apply any time after your ceremony.

- and the key question: once I attend the ceremony and obtain a naturalisation certificate, can I still enter / re enter the UK on my US passport? Probably - but best to carry your certificate as wellI obviously do not need any visa to enter the UK and can stay for six months. My naturalisation certificate will be my confirmation for lawful residence / work rights in the UK. Does the UK law require British citizens to enter the UK on a British passport only? No, but it's easiest with a British one.I could not find any clear information on this. For example, US citizens cannot enter US on any other passport, even if they have dual/multiple citizenships, does UK also have this requirement?No Can there be any issues at the border if I show my US passport / UK citizenship certificate and explain to the immigration officer that I am in the process of obtaining UK passport due to recently becoming British citizen? don't see an issue there but have no experience with the scenario.

Many thanks for responses.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

pumen1983
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Travel after certificate / before UK passport is issued

Post by pumen1983 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:39 am

Thank you very much for the responses. Anyone tried to enter UK on a foreign passport after naturalization? Will appriaciate if someone shares their experience.

pumen1983
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Ceremony within 90 days

Post by pumen1983 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:23 am

Hi all

I was approved for the citizenship but it appears can’t make the ceremony within 90 days. What happens if I can’t attend one within 90 days? Is there any way to request extension from the Home Office? Will the approval be rescinded? Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Ceremony within 90 days

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:13 am

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ooklet.pdf
The current guidance (page 31) is silent as to whether you can request an extension. Personally, I would make every effort to attend the ceremony. You might consider a private ceremony - it's an extra charge of £150-£200 to arrange separately with the council, but you may be able to get an appointment of your choosing.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:03 am

See Pages 22-23 of the Nationality Policy: general information – all British nationals.

Postponement of the citizenship ceremony is granted only for certain reasons and only for short periods of time (less than six months from the approval letter). You may have to make time (take time off work, etc) for the citizenship ceremony.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

pumen1983
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by pumen1983 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:11 am

The problem is that my council does not have many available dates. Only two are available within my 90 day period, but I cannot do both due to work travel plans which I simply cannot change. The council told me that I should contact home office.

I understand there is an email address to contact relevant team and some people managed to get extensions. Can anyone please write the appropriate email address as I can’t find one on their website.

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:14 am

No private ceremonies either?

Citizenship and nationality enquiries:
nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk
Telephone: 0300 123 2253
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4:45pm
Friday, 9am to 4:30pm