ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CAN MY NON-EU PARTNER APPLY FOR PRE-SETTLE STATUS IF I AM SETTLED UNDER THE EU SCHEME?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sundazed_
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

MARRYING SOMEONE WITH UK RESIDENCE PERMIT

Post by sundazed_ » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi all,

I am 21 and have been living in the UK for 10 years. My mum was married to a EU national when we applied for our first residence permit, but they got divorced after 7 years, before we applied for our second visa, which was granted in 2014. We have had two permits, each valid for 5 years, and we are on the process of applying to get a permanent visa (ILR). I have been in a relationship with a Brazilian national for a few years now (I am also from Brazil), and we spend a lot of time together since we always travel. He spent 6 months visiting me in the UK on a tourist visa, but we plan on getting married in a few months so we can start our lives together, but that will be after renewing my visa. My question is, would I be able to apply for a spouse visa for him after we get married, even with me having a a residence permit of a dependant of an EEA national? (i'm not too sure on the subject but that status can change). I meet the financial requirements, and we have substantial proof that our relationship is genuine. I can't seem to find much information for my specific situation, so if anyone could shed some light on that I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: MARRYING SOMEONE WITH UK RESIDENCE PERMIT

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:58 pm

You can only sponsor a partner or spouse once you have PR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

wahi66
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by wahi66 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:03 pm

You can only sponsor him once you got ILR.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:11 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:58 pm
PR as advised by CR001... not ILR :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sundazed_
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sundazed_ » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:06 pm

Casa wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:11 pm
CR001 wrote:
could I sponsor him if I'm settled though the EU settlement scheme? Is that the same as PR and ILR?

wahi66
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by wahi66 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:27 pm

sundazed_ wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:06 pm
Casa wrote:
CR001 wrote:
could I sponsor him if I'm settled though the EU settlement scheme? Is that the same as PR and ILR?
yes it is PR and after that you can sponsor your spouse

sundazed_
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sundazed_ » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:48 pm

wahi66 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:27 pm
sundazed_ wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:06 pm
Casa wrote:
CR001 wrote:
yes it is PR and after that you can sponsor your spouse
thank you for your help!:)

sundazed_
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

CAN MY NON-EU PARTNER APPLY FOR PRE-SETTLE STATUS IF I AM SETTLED UNDER THE EU SCHEME?

Post by sundazed_ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:57 am

Hey!

I am planning on applying for settled status through the EU settlement scheme. My partner is a non-EEA national, and lives in another country outside of Europe, but we ultimately want to live together. I currently hold a residence permit as a family member of an EEA national but will apply for settled status soon. So, I am not a EAA citizen myself, which I know would allow for any dependants to apply, but what about a person with just a settled status? Could my partner come to the UK then?

secret.simon

Re: CAN MY NON-EU PARTNER APPLY FOR PRE-SETTLE STATUS IF I AM SETTLED UNDER THE EU SCHEME?

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:50 am

Only EEA citizens and their non-EEA family members can apply under the EU Settlement Scheme.

If you are a non-EEA citizen with settled status, you cannot sponsor your non-EEA partner under the Settlement Scheme, but would need to meet the same tougher requirements for non-EEA spouses of British citizens, such as the minimum earnings requirements, English language requirements, etc and pay the full fees (more than £1000 per application) and IHS(£400 for every year the spousal application is valid for).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.