ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 - referees for 3+ year old born in UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pm107
Newly Registered
India

Confusing declaration in MN1 online form

Post by pm107 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:28 pm

I am registering my child (who is just above 3 years) as a British citizen.
The declaration form has the following two options:

I confirm that: (Required)
* I am the applicant
* I am a representative of the applicant and have been authorised to act on their behalf and have discussed and confirmed the contents of this application with them

Which one should I choose? I as a parent am acting on my child's behalf but obviously I can't discuss the application with a 3 year old.
I am not the applicant.

pm107
Newly Registered
India

Referees for MN1

Post by pm107 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:29 pm

The latest MN1 guide (March 2019) doesn't talk about referees at all. However, the online form seems to expect referees. Clearly, there's a gap.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... de_MN1.pdf

katanayi
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Confusing declaration in MN1 online form

Post by katanayi » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:27 pm

pm107 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:28 pm
I am registering my child (who is just above 3 years) as a British citizen.

I confirm that: (Required)

* I am a representative of the applicant and have been authorised to act on their behalf and have discussed and confirmed the contents of this application with them
This one

pm107
Newly Registered
India

MN1 - referees for 3+ year old born in UK

Post by pm107 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:41 am

This is about referees for a 3.5 year old, born in the UK applying for BC (entitlement).

The requirements stated in the online application are as below. That a referee must know the applicant who is 3.5 years old for more than 3 years is rather strict. Only referees I can think of are health workers or GPs who may not be willing to provide personal information. What do you suggest I do? Is it okay to get a referral from a pre school teacher who may have known the applicant for less than 3 years?

Also, there seems to be no clause that states that one of the referees must have engaged with the child in professional capacity (is this no longer required?)

Referees must:
not be a relative, solicitor or agent of the applicant
not be related to the other referee
not be employed by the Home Office
know or have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years
they are willing to give full details of their knowledge of the applicant
advise the Home Office of any reason why the applicant should not be registered
Referees must also not have been convicted of an imprisonable offence. A single non-custodial sentence may be disregarded if:
it did not occur within the last 12 months
there is strong evidence showing that the referee is of good character

Give your first referee's details. This referee must be the holder of a British Citizen passport (and either a professional person or over the age of 25)

Give your second referee's details. This referee should be a person (of any nationality) who has professional standing. This can include a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body such as an accountant or solicitor (who is not representing you with this application).