ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

overstay

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Rosh2018
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

overstay

Post by Rosh2018 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:30 pm

Dear everyone,
could someone advice me on my overstay, my visa was expired in Sep2010. I have applied for asylum in october2010, have granted in Feb2011, now I applied for nationality, HO send me a form asking, what did I do to regularise my stay during October2010 to Feb 2011. I do not know how to answer, I have my life in danger in my home country since august 2010, i was a student, when I came to I have problem in my home country, I was on college holidays, my college was to resume in end of september, i was planing to renew by then, but right after that incident in my home country, i couldn't concentrate on anything, i didn't go to work, i was depressed, went to my GP in October, was talking medication, I mentioned and submit a letter from GP to HO when I have interviewed, Ho also asking "how did I support my self financially, i was staying with my family friend during that time, I wasn't paying any rent but shared bills, because i had money, I brought with me, when I come back from holidays in May2010. my life was in danger in my home country when i was legally in the UK, but I didn't ask asylum in my since i don't know what to do,. also HO send me letter on 26th of March and dated. but they asked me to reply by 9th of March. I think that is a typo error. I don't how to give right answer to HO, can someone advice me please,
thank you in advance.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: overstay

Post by zimba » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:06 pm

Overstaying generally in the last 10 years of your stay in the UK will lead to refusal of the BC. Discretion is applied in rare cases.
HO also needs to ensure you did not work illegally when you had no right to work during the period your overstayed. You need to honestly answer all as you explained here to HO. They will decide whether to grant citizenship or not
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Rosh2018
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Rosh2018 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:06 pm

thank you sir, is it ok to tell home office I wasn't aware of UK immigration laws, literally i wasn't aware of it when i was over staying.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:21 pm

No. Ignorance of the rules is not a defence
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

seselwa5
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by seselwa5 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:34 am

Will anyone be able to tell me whether a 1 month and a half overstay 7 yrs ago affect my bc application if I left the country on my own to apply for ILE which was successful.

Scorpio111
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by Scorpio111 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Please read discretions for overstayer on Home office for case worker https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance

Scorpio111
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by Scorpio111 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:45 pm

Published on 4 April 2019 on home office website.

seselwa5
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by seselwa5 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:39 am

I read it but not sure if I’m understanding right. I am an ex soldier and I don’t know if they do give a little bit more lee way to ex members of the British army. I am hoping that is so as when I left the army, that’s when I had a few day overstay before I left the country and went abroad to do my ILE back home due to a few things I was going through then.