ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP - Applying thru Solicitator/Representative Vs Self

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ashok71
Newly Registered

HSMP - Applying thru Solicitator/Representative Vs Self

Post by ashok71 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:26 pm

Hi HSMP Gurus,

I'm an IT Professional with over 12 years of experience in IT and hold a Bachelors in Computer Science and working for an MNC in India. I'm planning to apply for HSMP. I did my point calculation and my score is about 100. I have gone thru this website and found very very useful information. I have gone thru the documentation available on the Home Office website and started preparing my application and the documents.

Here's what I'm looking for some help from this group.

1. Will it make a difference if applying thru a Solicitator/Representative as against self ? If so, which Solicitators are recommended and what is the average fees ? Will it make any difference in terms of processing time ?

2. I also wanted to check if we need to send Photographs of the applicant and Dependents (wife and children) along with the application. If so, is there any specific size for the same.

3. I have got some prints from Job Websites about possible jobs opening and salaries. Is it necessary to get this information authenticated also ? If so, how ?

Suggestions and tips are most welcome.

Thanking you all in advance and looking forward to hearing from you all.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:08 pm

1. Using a a solicitor wont speed up the actual process (that is once the application is recieved by the HSMP team). it might help you get the correct information in order much quicker than you would if you were sourcing for the information yourself. but if you spend some time on a forum like this and also talking to friends who have applied for HSMP b4 you might actaully be able to gather all the infor by yourself quickly and for free.

2. No you dont have to send photos of wife and dependent or of yourself for that matter. check the guidance notes as well as the application form for details

3. it is not necessary to get the job advert cuttings certified, infact some might say it is not really necessary to send them with your initial application

peter_hsmp_2005
Newly Registered

Post by peter_hsmp_2005 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:53 pm

1. I agree with f2k. In terms of cost, I asked a couple of places and fees ranged from about 800 GBP to 1200 GBP. But if you fill out the form and read the guidance notes carefully then you can probably do it just as well by yourself. Note that there are a couple of things they ask for in the guidance notes that aren't part of the application form - ie evidence that you won't rely on public funds.

2. I agree f2k.

3. I don't completely agree with f2k here. You have to show what your potential income might be, so job cuttings might be good for that. Also, many recruitment firms publish annual salary surveys on their websites. For my application, I printed off a couple of those, and sent them in - they weren't authenticated in any way - and I was approved.

ashok71
Newly Registered

Post by ashok71 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:27 am

Thank you f2k and peter_hsmp_2005.

Having gone thru this website in more detail, I have found that it is very important to have these three things in order to succed in HSMP.

1. All documents related to your work expereince clearly showing 'Graduate' level experience. Most of my employer reference do not even have a mention of 'Graduate' in them. Do you think I should go back to my previous employers and ask for another letter with more details and mentioning 'Graduate' level responsibilities in them. I have worked in over 4-5 companies in my career and I will have to go back to all of them. That is going be a bit of a pain and a bit difficult at this point in time. Do u guys have any other alternative plans ? Maybe the IT guys can comment on this.

2. Educational certificates. I hold a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science from a recognised University (University of Mysore) in India. Do I still need to get this Assessed from NARIC ?

3. Past Earnings : I have payslips for the last 12 months and the tax details for the previous year. I am hopeful that would suffice.

Please let me know your thoughts. Also, I would appreciate if the guys who applied from India can comment on some of the things to watch out for at the time of applying.

technician

Post by technician » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:31 am

Hi,

No need to go to the agent. It is a simple form. But be very crisp and precise. Strictly on the guidelines. Give no chance to the case worker to put any objection.

See it is advisable to get your degrees certified by NARIC UK. This helps even in job search in UK. Many agencies ask for this information. This is my personal experience.

Job advts matching your qualification and experience are a must in order to convince the case worker that your skills are very much demand in UK and the expected salary range can be earned.

If you still want to avail the services of agent. Then I give you one very good information. Currently in India there is one UK agent who in collobration with some indian firm is currently in INDIA and he is charging just GBP 200/= approx pupees 16000/= to put your case. The HO fees is extra.
If you like I will forward that mail to you. I was not interested in his offer as I have already filled my case to HO since 8th july.

In case PM me your email and I will forward the email to it.
Or therwise see the Economics times the advertisements are comming regularly in Delhi edition.

TECH
Team work- Nurturing Talents

peter_hsmp_2005
Newly Registered

Post by peter_hsmp_2005 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:28 pm

1. Graduate level work experience: from what I've read of other people's posts, it seems that this is a common stumbling block. I think some professions require more proof than others. For example, my reference letters didn't expressly say that it was graduate level experience, and I didn't have any trouble - but then I'm a lawyer and I think it's a world-wide fact that you can't be a lawyer unless you're a graduate. But I think it might be different for IT - eg I know a few IT professionals who are self-taught. If in doubt, it might be a good idea to go back to your employers. Alternatively, another suggestion I've seen on this forum is to include job advertisements for jobs similar to the ones you've held - usually these job ads will specify that you need a degree.

2. NARIC - no idea sorry. I would guess that the HSMP people should just be able to look up the NARIC database to see whether your degree is recognised - but that's just a guess.

3. past earnings - All you need is two forms of evidence, and payslips and tax certificates (which I assume show your income) sound good.

ashok71
Newly Registered

Post by ashok71 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:32 am

Thanks a lot Peter_hsmp_2005.

I agree to your thoughts on 'Gradualte level' experience. I am planning to go back to my previous employers and get new letters from them. Hopefully I should get them. Also, as suggested, I'm going to look out for job advts for similar jobs.

I am going ahead with getting my qualification assessed with NARIC. I have applied for it online last night and faxed the documents to them today morning. I hope to hear from them in a week or 10 days.

I think I'm ok on the Past earning section.

Thanks for all your help and suggestion guys. Really appreciate it.

I'm planning to send in my application by the last week of March. Hope to make it before the price hike. :)

narveer

Post by narveer » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:18 am

Hi Ashok,

Is it possible to fax the documents to NARIC? What is the Fax Number ? Are you going for Fast Track Review?

ashok71
Newly Registered

Post by ashok71 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:11 am

Hi Narveer,

It is possible to Fax your documents to NARIC. Once you finish your online application, you will be automatically provided with the details of the Fax/post. Anyway, for the benefit of the group, the NARIC Fax number to which I faxed my documents were +44 (0)124 2258611.

I'm going for the regular track. As per the webiste, they take about 2 weeks for regular applications and about 48 hours for Fast track. The cost is double for Fast track (GBP 60, I think).

Hope this helps !!!

narveer

Post by narveer » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:24 am

Thanks Ashok. The cost for Fast Track Application is 150£. I think I should also go for it. By the way when are you sending your application?

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:32 am

Well, I taught Bachelor of engineering students in an Engineering college for nine months and it seems they havnt considered that experience as graduate level. I guess this is basically understood that if you are teaching graduate classes then it is a graduate level experience. isnt it?
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

ashok71
Newly Registered

Post by ashok71 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:33 am

Most of my other documents are in place. I'm waiting for the NARIC Assessment. Once I get that, I should be sending it off. I'm targetting the last week of March, which gives me about a week's time to receive the NARIC Assessment. Fingers crossed.and hoping for the best.

narveer

Post by narveer » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:34 am

Thats funny. I guess they blindly go by book. Was it mentioned in your Letter that the position requires a Graduate?

narveer

Post by narveer » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:35 am

Ashok. It shouldnt take more than a week for NARIC to send you the letter. I will be applying on 18th of this month.

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:51 am

No, it was not in my letter that the position requires a graduate.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:53 pm

ashok71 wrote:Most of my other documents are in place. I'm waiting for the NARIC Assessment. Once I get that, I should be sending it off. I'm targetting the last week of March, which gives me about a week's time to receive the NARIC Assessment. Fingers crossed.and hoping for the best.
Just bear in mind that Fees will be going up from the 1st of April so you might not want to hang on to your documents for too long.

technician

Post by technician » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:27 am

Hi ashok,

AS discussed on my mobile, I have mailed to you the required documents to your mail box. Regarding that person in Bangalore I will inform as I get his contacts.

Thanks

TECH
Team work- Nurturing Talents

narveer

Post by narveer » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:55 am

Hi Ashok,

Have you recieved NARIC Assessment Letter ? I have also applied for the same 2 days after you applied. Any idea when we will be getting the letter? Did you ever call them?

ashok71
Newly Registered

Post by ashok71 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:23 am

I had asked my friend in UK to check with NARIC about my assessment application. I'm given to understand that they have completed the assessment and have mailed the results. Since I'm in India, I guess it might take a week of so to receive the same.

You can call NARIC and ask for your assessment results I guess.

narveer

Post by narveer » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:45 am

Hi Ashok,

I called them up and I was told that I would be getting a letter only by April First Week. It seems it takes 3 weeks for the assessment. They suggested me to go for Fast Track.

ashok71
Newly Registered

Post by ashok71 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:33 pm

I really don't know. It was my friend who spoke to NARCI. Hence I'm not sure of the conversation he had. I can only confirm it once I get the letter from NARIC.

BTW, did u send all your documents to them, I mean the transcripts of you Degree ? How did u send it to them ? Fax or mail ?

narveer

Post by narveer » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:49 pm

Hi Ashok,

I had faxed them all the transcripts. I spoke to NARIC and they advised me that if I need it before April 1st week then I have to go for Fast Track.

I had no other option, so I went for Fast Track. I was charged 176£. They faxed me the letter for assessment this afternoon. The Original letter will reach me by Wednesday morning.

I would suggest you should also go for fast track,otherwise it wont reach you before 1st April.

ashok71
Newly Registered

Post by ashok71 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:21 pm

Hi.. Good to hear u got your assessment. I think in my case since the asseessment is already done, it is just a matter of getting the letter. If I don't get the letter in the next 2-3 days, I will ask them to fax me the letter. I hope that should work fine with them as well.

narveer

Post by narveer » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:36 pm

Ashok,

Have you applied for HSMP? Did you recieve letter from NARIC ?

ashok71
Newly Registered

Post by ashok71 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:57 pm

Narveer,

I applied for HSMP last weekend. The application reached the HO on 30th March. Now the long wait starts...

Yeah, I received the letter from NARIC last week.