ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

More than 450 days outside the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

daqm
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

More than 450 days outside the UK

Post by daqm » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:03 pm

I have been in the UK since 2004, I studied here and my home and wife (she's EU) is here. I'm from EU as well. I have been working in the UK since 2008, on and off, before I did another MSc for a year in London. Now I have my own Ltd and continue working in the UK. I hold a residency card since 2011.

However in 2018, I spent 8 months on and off travelling to Belgium (usually Mon-Thu or Mon-Fri) and was employed through an umbrella company to work for a Belgian company. I'm pretty sure I've exceeded the 450 days in 5 years, if I take into account all my holidays the the rest of the 4 years.

Would that be regarded as exceptional circumstance, instead of me working in a Belgian company?
Shall I go ahead and spend the £1000 for my application? Should I verify with someone?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: More than 450 days outside the UK

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:28 pm

Have you reviewed the AN Guidance? Page 10 onwards gives details of what is acceptable.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

daqm
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by daqm » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:43 pm

Thanks for your reply, however this is the most recent booklet to anyone readind this post:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... oklet_.pdf

I have read the clause regarding the days out, and from what I infer, it can be regarded as exceptional circumstances and is to the discretion of the HO to grant citizenship or not. And I don't want to spend £1000 and leave it to some person's discretion... :roll:

MsSteel
BANNED
Belgium

Post by MsSteel » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi, you mentioned holding a residency card...do make sure the Type of Document section in your blue card lists it as Document Certifying Permanent Residence (PR) and NOT Registration Certificate. This is a common mistake made by many who got their AN application refused. Thought I'd throw it out there in case you're unaware :)
daqm wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:03 pm
I have been in the UK since 2004, I studied here and my home and wife (she's EU) is here. I'm from EU as well. I have been working in the UK since 2008, on and off, before I did another MSc for a year in London. Now I have my own Ltd and continue working in the UK. I hold a residency card since 2011.

However in 2018, I spent 8 months on and off travelling to Belgium (usually Mon-Thu or Mon-Fri) and was employed through an umbrella company to work for a Belgian company. I'm pretty sure I've exceeded the 450 days in 5 years, if I take into account all my holidays the the rest of the 4 years.

Would that be regarded as exceptional circumstance, instead of me working in a Belgian company?
Shall I go ahead and spend the £1000 for my application? Should I verify with someone?

daqm
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by daqm » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:56 pm

MsSteel wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:48 pm
Hi, you mentioned holding a residency card...do make sure the Type of Document section in your blue card lists it as Document Certifying Permanent Residence (PR) and NOT Registration Certificate. This is a common mistake made by many who got their AN application refused. Thought I'd throw it out there in case you're unaware :)
Good point, thanks. It's the residency card. It's the blue one that reads UK RESIDENCE DOCUMENTATION FOR A NATIONAL OF AN EEA STATE. Like this one: eea-route-applications/eea2-form-where- ... 83561.html

MsSteel
BANNED
Belgium

Post by MsSteel » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Well in that case you haven't got PR.
daqm wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:56 pm
MsSteel wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:48 pm
Good point, thanks. It's the residency card. It's the blue one that reads UK RESIDENCE DOCUMENTATION FOR A NATIONAL OF AN EEA STATE. Like this one: eea-route-applications/eea2-form-where- ... 83561.html

daqm
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by daqm » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:08 pm

Nice one thanks, I wasn't aware of the group. I'll go check.

Also, I just checked the link and it turns out I have a "Registration Certificate" and not a "Document Certifying Permanent Residence". Damn! :cry:

MsSteel
BANNED
Belgium

Post by MsSteel » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:34 pm

Looks like your options are to either pay £65 to apply for PR and if the HO deem you to have acquired it over a year ago (they'd list this date in the PR approval letter), you can then proceed with your naturalisation application
or
Apply for Settled Status for free and wait a year before applying for citizenship.

In any case, I'd consult an immigration lawyer due to your absences issue.
daqm wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:08 pm
Nice one thanks, I wasn't aware of the group. I'll go check.

Also, I just checked the link and it turns out I have a "Registration Certificate" and not a "Document Certifying Permanent Residence". Damn! :cry:

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:05 pm

daqm wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:43 pm
Thanks for your reply, however this is the most recent booklet to anyone readind this post:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... oklet_.pdf
straight from the gov.uk website:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
Published 22 March 2019
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.