ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP thru winston taylor consulting

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rem_aru
Newly Registered

HSMP thru winston taylor consulting

Post by rem_aru » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:21 pm

Friends,

I am currently based out of Bangalore and was planning to file my HSMP through winston taylor consulting, wherein I would be on their rolls in UK. After reaching UK, I should be looking out for a contract job and they will be providing me the support/assistance for the same.

Does anyone has any similar experience or details abt this consutling company in the UK? Any details on this front would be very helpful in taking a decision.

Best Regards
Raj

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:23 pm

What do you mean when you say "you would be on their rolls in UK"?? If you have to find jobs (contractual or permanent) on your own, what are -they going to do ?? - other than take your precious money for nothing more than filing an application on your behalf.

By the way, if they told you they will help you with HSMP, ditch them without wasting a second. HSMP ceased to exist in India as of 01-Apr. It is now Tier 1. :lol: :lol:

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:32 pm

"file my HSMP through winston taylor consulting, wherein I would be on their rolls in UK"
What does that mean??

rem_aru
Newly Registered

Post by rem_aru » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:18 am

Means, I would be an employee of Winston Taylor Consulting, UK. They would take care of my accomodation and expenses till the time I find a job in UK, for which they will arrange for the interviews also.

Once I land on a job, it is going to work on a 70-30 profit sharing basis. And sorry abt the HSMP thing; They mentioned Tier 1 only.

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:50 am

That sounds a bit fishy, what visa are they intending to obtain for you to enter the UK?
________
Thc Finder
Last edited by WoodieG on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rem_aru
Newly Registered

Post by rem_aru » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:18 am

Tier 1 General

ABPI
Newly Registered

Charges!

Post by ABPI » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:48 am

Just out of interest how much are they charging you for such a noble service!

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:53 am

sushdmehta wrote:What do you mean when you say "you would be on their rolls in UK"?? If you have to find jobs (contractual or permanent) on your own, what are -they going to do ?? - other than take your precious money for nothing more than filing an application on your behalf.
I don't find anything suspicious here. This is business. And mentioned by OP in his later post, they are going to take care of his start up expenses (which includes plane tickets, I assume), and don't know if it covers visa fee as well.

And this is normal practice. Many people from India don't want to take risk of leaving current job and comming here on their own. It's specailly difficult, if you don't have any friend/relatives here. And considering living cost in UK, it's not bad, if you don't have risk apetite.

And such agenices find these peoples. Many people in past have used such agencies to start in UK. Not everybody has opportunity to come here through current employer, and find employement / switch visa. For others, it is like insurance.

In case of H1B, majority of "employers" are such agencies, and acts in same as mentioned in above post.

rem_aru
Newly Registered

Post by rem_aru » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:13 am

Visa fees is not covered. I have to take care of that on my own. However, they will put together my application & represent my case to the Home office.

Add on to that a INR 50K caution deposit that i need to pay them (returnable upon reaching UK) upon accepting the offer letter. Also there is a bond of 1 year of service with them. It looks to me more like the way the consulting companies in the US works.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:24 am

rem_aru wrote:Visa fees is not covered. I have to take care of that on my own. However, they will put together my application & represent my case to the Home office.
:), There is nothing like representing, you should able to do this on your own.

Add on to that a INR 50K caution deposit that i need to pay them (returnable upon reaching UK) upon accepting the offer letter. Also there is a bond of 1 year of service with them. It looks to me more like the way the consulting companies in the US works.
Yes, it looks same as US bodyshoppers work. decision is yours. If you don't have risk apetite, then you can go for this. But, it depends on agenices reputation as well.

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:34 am

This looks atrocious. Did they inform you about:
- What type of accommodation will they provide?
- How much money will they provide as "other expenses"? Would that include travel money for going to interview locations, ?etc.

On the face of it 50K INR caution money is nothing to worry about, if they would provide you "free accommodation", and "other expenses", because these expenses would exceed your caution money in first month itself.

The worrying part of this contract is 1 year bond. Have you researched the contract rates of your field? (for example in Java/J2EE et al. the usual rates are 200-300 GBP per day for contract jobs).

Being represented for Tier 1 application by that consultancy will not benefit you in major way nor add any advantage to your application. (other than taking the responsibility of making Tier 1 application off your shoulders)

Accepted that UK market is nowadays a bit cold, but you should assess all the pros and cons (the probability of you getting your own job in 2-3 months, the (profit from consultany)/(investment in consultancy) profit ratio, etc.), before you accept the contract.

As a hint, any signed contract is taken very seriously in UK as compared to India(where you can ditch any employers without notices, etc.)

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:41 am

It is 6 of one and a half dozen of anohter.
Normally, they should get you a work permit and they sponsor you.
What they are trying to do is to minimize their risk because if they get you a work permit, they have to give you a contract with a minimum salary but if they don't find work with their clients, then obviously you would be dead weight for them
By using hsmp, they will be like your employer and take care of the startup costs and such until you on your feet with assignments from them. Once you get there, there is no way they can force you to work for them only since hsmp or tier 1 is an open visa. So I could see what they are doing and why and it could be very innocent.
After all it will do them no good to get you there and leave you on the streets.
Don't know if I'd be comfortable with this but technically this is not the way tier 1 is to be executed.
Anyway, you need to find other people who have worked for them with this arrangement, ask them to provide you references.

hussainkothari
Member of Standing

Post by hussainkothari » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:46 am

And after sharing your 30 % salary with them, I doubt if your savings would be more than your indian savings!

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:49 am

Once you get there, there is no way they can force you to work for them only since hsmp or tier 1 is an open visa. So I could see what they are doing and why and it could be very innocent.
Agreed, but innocence of this consultancy would also depend on the other clauses of contract related to termination, eg. what happens if you leave them before one year, (they could demand the initial expenses back form OP), etc. It pays to be pragmatic.

rem_aru
Newly Registered

Post by rem_aru » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:56 am

I have done research on that and on an average the contract rates are GBP 300-400 per day for my kind of profile. So, I guess I would be able to save enough even after deducting 30% + tax + my expenses in the UK.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:01 pm

rem_aru wrote:I have done research on that and on an average the contract rates are GBP 300-400 per day for my kind of profile. So, I guess I would be able to save enough even after deducting 30% + tax + my expenses in the UK.
That 30 % is normal for consultants getting assignments through agencies. I'd be very interested in the wording of the contract. Are you expected to pay back living accommodations once you get on your feet?
Good point about the hsmp expenses but you know what, so what, the visa belongs to him so he should pay it at the end of the day.

MORBULOUS_PRIME

Re: HSMP thru winston taylor consulting

Post by MORBULOUS_PRIME » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:23 pm

rem_aru wrote:Friends,

I am currently based out of Bangalore and was planning to file my HSMP through winston taylor consulting, wherein I would be on their rolls in UK. After reaching UK, I should be looking out for a contract job and they will be providing me the support/assistance for the same.

Does anyone has any similar experience or details abt this consutling company in the UK? Any details on this front would be very helpful in taking a decision.

Best Regards
Raj
By all means AVOID! As previously stated sounds fishy

chakde23

Post by chakde23 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:07 pm

My friend £ 400 per day for Java is only if you are a team lead . architect profile or perhaps have excellent proven experience in BFSI ( investment banks , etc ).......Dont go by the rates you research on internet.

With regards to this consultancy asking you money for Tier 1 processing , this is quite standard but in all fairness you need to avoid them and research this forum which is quite effective and "FOC" ( free of cost )

No agency / consulting can force you to sign BOND - its not applicable in UK . I know few of them , who do mention these clauses but you need not worry even if you have signed them !

My experience is these consulting agencies unless they gurantee you atleast initial 3 / 6 months of contract - its futile taking their services.........and I can assure you the name you have mentioned ring no bells to me in this part of world as someone who has major clientele...

w.r.t 70 / 30 % - yes this is quite common with various umbrella / consulting companies who normally sponsor your workpermit - BUT BUT ....there is no need for you to agree this if you are on HSMP / Tier 1 ....unless they place you on contract .........though most of the candidates from India agree to this 70-30 split even though they tend to get contracts directly here....assuming it sounds "too comfortable" to share 30 % as you are told about accomodation , initial support etc - which I can gurantee , you can still stay cheaper than their support !

One another interesting fact, the company you have said is a very new entity in UK , hardly registered in UK last year May ......you can check in companies house free webcheck !

rem_aru wrote:I have done research on that and on an average the contract rates are GBP 300-400 per day for my kind of profile. So, I guess I would be able to save enough even after deducting 30% + tax + my expenses in the UK.

rem_aru
Newly Registered

Post by rem_aru » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:30 am

Oh yes, You are right, and thanks for that information on companies house free webcheck.
BTW, Java is not my skillset. I am on EAI and have 8 years of exp. Now working as a Tech Lead.