ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job in an embassy abroad to get a residancy?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

plt22

Job in an embassy abroad to get a residancy?

Post by plt22 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:19 am

Hello, I have a question.
A family friend has offered me a good paying job in an Israeli Embessy abroad.
I would like to know if I will get a working visa OR because the job is in the Israeli Embessy I don't need a visa and I can work there with my Israeli Passport alone.

I would like to know if after few years working there I could ask for residancy and eventually get an EU passport. Is that possible doing so?

Thank you very much for the help.

vin123
Member of Standing

Re: Job in an embassy abroad to get a residancy?

Post by vin123 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:38 pm

I dont know whether you are slightly confused here.

From your post two aspects as far I see here:

a) woking in the country where Israel embassy is situated (EU country )
b) qualifying for a Isreali diplomatic passport

Working for an embassy is treated differently and based on the diplomatic relationship that the respective countries hold, there is normally special arrangements inplace within each country' foriegn office staffs to obtain a visa for travel unless the post you hold qualifies for a diplomatic passport.

Whatever be it, you still do need to have a visa to work with your Israel passport, no matter where is it. Normally they issue a limited term visa. And yes, if you stay 5 years you are eligible for ILR.
plt22 wrote:Hello, I have a question.
I would like to know if I will get a working visa OR because the job is in the Israeli Embessy I don't need a visa and I can work there with my Israeli Passport alone.

I would like to know if after few years working there I could ask for residancy and eventually get an EU passport. Is that possible doing so?

Thank you very much for the help.

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:52 pm

vin123 wrote:And yes, if you stay 5 years you are eligible for ILR.
Are you sure? I thought time spent for diplomatic reasons was ineligible.
--
Mark Y-M
London

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:24 pm

I think diplomatic visas does not quality for ILR. But normal embassy workers (non-diplomatic) do qualify basedon their work permit.
mym wrote:
Are you sure? I thought time spent for diplomatic reasons was ineligible.

plt22

Post by plt22 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:06 pm

vin123 wrote:I think diplomatic visas does not quality for ILR. But normal embassy workers (non-diplomatic) do qualify basedon their work permit.
mym wrote:
I hope that you are right, if so, I just found a door the the European Union !
If there is someone here that can confirm it - that will be great.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:18 pm

10 years for diplomatic staff in UK according to this:

http://www.immigrationlawyers.co.uk/leg ... lomats.php

Dunno about rest of EU...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

plt22

Post by plt22 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:02 pm

I'll get a diplomatic passport? I am not the ambassador, its just a simple job in the Embassy with a good salary, thats it..

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:09 am

Depends on the country involved ... most "locally engaged positions" in embassies require that the person be a citizen or legal resident of the host country.

If on the other hand you are there as a diplomat, you would be unlikely to qualify for citizenship of the host country, but again this varies. Some countries do have special schemes for senior diplomats from other countries who would like to stay on in retirement.

plt22

Post by plt22 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:13 am

JAJ wrote:

Depends on the country involved ... most "locally engaged positions" in embassies require that the person be a citizen or legal resident of the host country.

If on the other hand you are there as a diplomat, you would be unlikely to qualify for citizenship of the host country, but again this varies. Some countries do have special schemes for senior diplomats from other countries who would like to stay on in retirement.
Thank you.
There is someone who is trying to arrange this job for me, I'm not a legal resident or a citizen of the host country but he said that its not a problem.

If I'm working there in the Mail Room for example it counts as a diplomatic job and I would be unlikely to qualify for citizenship of the host country? What counts as a diplomatic job in the embassy?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:39 am

In which EEA State does this job exist?

plt22

Post by plt22 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:48 am

Wanderer wrote:In which EEA State does this job exist?
Oh, its in Denmark.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:15 am

Well it's seven years legal residence for Danish citizenship but to be honest I'm with JAJ on this, I'd expect a requirement that general staff are recruited locally, only the actual Diplomats can benefit from any foreign residency.

And in any case do diplomats ever stay in one country long enough? U'd expect they'd rotate people to stop them 'defecting'.

plt22

Post by plt22 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:27 am

Ok, thank you.
And another question, do you know how long it takes to get residancy in Denmark if its not a job in the embassy? how long I need to work on a working visa before I can ask for a residancy (if its a regular job).

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:40 am

Just a small correction to Wanderer's posting. It takes NINE years of residence to qualify for citizenship in Denmark:

http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/citizens ... isfied.htm

(See "Residence" about a 1/3 of the way down)

To get a permanent residence permit in Denmark, you have to have been employed with a temporary permit for seven years.
In order to qualify for a permanent residence permit, you must normally have held a temporary residence permit for seven years, as well as completing an integration programme and passing a Danish language test. Additional requirements may apply.
There are provisions to apply for permanent residence after five years or even three, but both involve unusual circumstance (e.g., asylum claim) and/or having performed a "significant, tangible contribution to Danish society".

http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_t ... ension.htm

By the way, Denmark is probably the most reluctant state in the EU when it comes to accepting immigrants. You'll have to jump through a lot of hoops, wait a long time and have to give up your Israeli citizenship in the end to become Danish. You're probably better off having a look at Belgium which has much shorter waiting times for citizenship (3 years) and you'll be allowed to stay Israeli if you become Belgian.

plt22

Post by plt22 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:56 am

RobinLondon wrote:Just a small correction to Wanderer's posting. It takes NINE years of residence to qualify for citizenship in Denmark:

http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/citizens ... isfied.htm

(See "Residence" about a 1/3 of the way down)

To get a permanent residence permit in Denmark, you have to have been employed with a temporary permit for seven years.
In order to qualify for a permanent residence permit, you must normally have held a temporary residence permit for seven years, as well as completing an integration programme and passing a Danish language test. Additional requirements may apply.
There are provisions to apply for permanent residence after five years or even three, but both involve unusual circumstance (e.g., asylum claim) and/or having performed a "significant, tangible contribution to Danish society".

http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_t ... ension.htm

By the way, Denmark is probably the most reluctant state in the EU when it comes to accepting immigrants. You'll have to jump through a lot of hoops, wait a long time and have to give up your Israeli citizenship in the end to become Danish. You're probably better off having a look at Belgium which has much shorter waiting times for citizenship (3 years) and you'll be allowed to stay Israeli if you become Belgian.
7 years on a working visa to get a residancy? and then another 9 years to get a citizenship? together its 16 years! and then they want me to give up my Israeli passport. Wow, they really don't want people to imigrate to their country.
I though that in the US its the hardest (5 years), I was very VERY wrong.

You have any idea how long it takes to get residancy in Holland when working there on a working visa? I'm curious to know.

Soon there will be a war with Iran here, its obvious, what the deal with getting an asylum? who can qualify?

And thank you very much for your help! you helped me alot.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:46 am

plt22 wrote:7 years on a working visa to get a residancy? and then another 9 years to get a citizenship? together its 16 years! and then they want me to give up my Israeli passport. Wow, they really don't want people to imigrate to their country.
I though that in the US its the hardest (5 years), I was very VERY wrong.

You have any idea how long it takes to get residancy in Holland when working there on a working visa? I'm curious to know.

Soon there will be a war with Iran here, its obvious, what the deal with getting an asylum? who can qualify?

And thank you very much for your help! you helped me alot.
You've misunderstood. 7 years for permanent residency + another 2 to qualify for nationality. So that's a total of nine years. And it takes quite a while for the naturalisation application to be approved, so expect to spend at least ten years in Denmark before you become Danish, if that's what you want to do.

For information about each country, just use Google. For instance, "Netherlands immigration" will generate "www.ind.nl", the Dutch government website. All the info you need is there.

Just because Israel and Iran might come to blows does not mean instant asylum for Israelis. I know you're desperate for any way into Europe, but I'm not sure anyone here can give you 100% the answers you want.

plt22

Post by plt22 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:48 pm

Oh, I see now, its 9 years, I misunderstood... its still a long time though.

Yes, I'm desperate for any way into Europe, I might be able to get a job with a work visa in Denmark, so even that its a long way maybe this something that worth doing.. spending 10 years out of my life to get an European passport is too long, and there are other ways, shorter ways to do that.

I understand this subject better now, I got 100% of the answers I wanted.

Maybe I should go to Denmark and work with the working visa until I figure out what I'm going to do next..
Belive me, if you could live only in Israel you would be looking for any way into Europe yourself :) Alot of young Israelis are looking for ways to get out of here, some to the US , some to Europe.

Thanks for all the help, you helped me alot.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:00 pm

Belive me, if you could live only in Israel you would be looking for any way into Europe yourself Alot of young Israelis are looking for ways to get out of here, some to the US , some to Europe.
You should be glad my forebears didn't have that attitude when Herr Hitler was knocking, or their would be no Europe to duck out to.....

pencillin

Post by pencillin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:56 am

Wanderer wrote: You should be glad my forebears didn't have that attitude when Herr Hitler was knocking, or their would be no Europe to duck out to.....
Or is it:

I hope all German forebears had this attitude 70 years ago, we would have saved millions.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:08 pm

pencillin wrote:
Wanderer wrote: You should be glad my forebears didn't have that attitude when Herr Hitler was knocking, or their would be no Europe to duck out to.....
Or is it:

I hope all German forebears had this attitude 70 years ago, we would have saved millions.
WW2 made America great!