ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport for child born outside country.Father got ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

space265

British passport for child born outside country.Father got ILR

Post by space265 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:10 am

Hello
I got ILR and what about the child born outside country after my ILR?can we apply british passport for child and what is the process?Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British passport for child born outside country.Father got ILR

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:38 am

Children born abroad are expected to hold ILR before they can apply for British citizenship, which is the process before they can apply for a passport.

Children born abroad can also only apply for citizenship when one aren't is also apply or is British already and the other holds ILR.

Children born abroad have no entitlement to register as britishm
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

space265

Post by space265 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks cr001.so u mean only thing i can do is take the child there as dependent and get ilr first.then apply for citizenship after certain time then apply for british passport?
I can't apply for british passport directly from home country?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:26 am

I can't apply for british passport directly from home country?
No, the child is not British if born abroad and if you only hold ILR.

The child would only be British if born in the UK after you got ILR.

A child born abroad would only be automatically British (by Descent) if you were British otherwise than by Descent when the child was born.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:38 pm

If the child was born in the UK after you got ILR, s/he would have been a British citizen automatically and could have applied for a British passport directly.

Children born abroad to non-British citizen parents (including those on ILR) follow the same immigration pathway as the less-privileged parent and can be registered as a British citizen when one parent is applying for or has acquired British citizenship AND the child and other parent have ILR.

By having the child born outside the UK, you have added at least £3500 to the cost of the child acquiring British citizenship (child's ILR at about £2500 and registration at about £1000). That does not include the cost of any further intermediate dependent visas that may be required for both the child and the mother.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

space265

Post by space265 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:25 am

Thanks CR001 and secret.simon...got your point.so child will only get citizenship outside country if i got citizenship before child s birth.am i right?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:56 am

space265 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:25 am
so child will only get citizenship outside country if i got citizenship before child s birth.
Correct. If the child is born abroad, the date of birth of the child must be on or after the date of the naturalisation certificate of the naturalised British parent for the child to acquire British citizenship by descent automatically.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

space265

Post by space265 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:40 pm

Thanks secret.simon