ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Query

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

talha1611
Newly Registered

ILR Query

Post by talha1611 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Dear All,
When my wife got her work permit we were living at a rented property. Then we bought our house a month later. We stayed there for three years and now moved to other house that we bought a year ago. Even though she informed her employers about change of address so that they inform Home office but we are not sure if they have done so.
She will be applying for ILR shortly. Would this make any difference as the address written on her work permit is not same where we are living now.

2. How long you have to wait for your appointment at PEO after passing your life in the UK test. In guidance notes it says 2 weeks, but test centres say they send test straight away and it is online so you could go next day..

Sammie

Post by Sammie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:28 pm

I would advise asking for a copy of your file from the home office and seeing if the notification for the updated address was received and if the address has been recorded.

Have a look at this.. >>
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/navigation/foi/

You can also write to:

Immigration and Nationality Directorate (IND)
Subject Access Bureau (SAB)
10th Floor
Sunley House
Bedford Park
Croydon
CR0 2AP

Include your full name as on your IND documents, Port Reference and/or Home Office Reference numbers and address where you are living or detained.

Entitle the letter "Data Protection Act 1998 - Subject Access Request". Then write:...

"I would be grateful if you could disclose the entire contents of my file. I enclose a cheque for £10".

Sign the letter and send the original but keep a copy, and send by recorded post. Enclose a cheque for £10 made payable to 'Home Office Accounting Officer'.
Visa: Spouse
Submitted: 12/03/08 (Mirpur VAC, PAkistan)
Time Elapsed:10 Working Days
Result: VISA ISSUED 28/03/2008
ILR App: 18/03/2010-28/03/2010
ILR App Sent: 25/03/2010
ILR Received: 30/07/2010 - YAY!!

talha1611
Newly Registered

Post by talha1611 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks for your reply
SAB requests could take more than 4 weeks and her 5 years on WP are almost completed; if we wait for 4 more weeks it would be too late

Also what about PEO appointment immediately after passing life in the UK test.

Talha

desperado

Re: ILR Query

Post by desperado » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:09 pm

talha1611 wrote:Dear All,
When my wife got her work permit we were living at a rented property. Then we bought our house a month later. We stayed there for three years and now moved to other house that we bought a year ago. Even though she informed her employers about change of address so that they inform Home office but we are not sure if they have done so.
She will be applying for ILR shortly. Would this make any difference as the address written on her work permit is not same where we are living now.
My wife got her ILR yesterday, she got ILR as spouse visa holder. I can give you my experience and will leave the final decision to you to see if it makes any sense in your scenario.

When we produced documents, we were asked to give documents year by year. They were keen on checking name, address and date/year on each and every document. We moved recently to new flat. The immigration officer asked her have you stayed in the same address for the last two years. We said no, we recently moved to that new address. In the application form there is a section to put previous stayed address. The document we produced were of both address.

I wouldn't worry about it if you ask me. When I applied for ILR few years ago as work permit holder. They didn't worry about change of address. The address on my work permit was not the same address I lived when I applied for ILR. If they ask you can tell them about it.

talha1611 wrote: 2. How long you have to wait for your appointment at PEO after passing your life in the UK test. In guidance notes it says 2 weeks, but test centres say they send test straight away and it is online so you could go next day..
Ring up PEO number now! Don't worry about waiting for two weeks etc. When you ring for appointment they will ask the following question:

1. What category you are applying ILR?
2. Date arrived in the UK
3. Date visa expiry (in this case your wp expiry)
4. Did you pass the Life in the UK test? If yes, when did you pass it?
5. Where do you want the appointment? Croydon, Birmingham etc

Based on the date you passed Life in the UK exam, they will give you an appointment. The two weeks to wait after passing Life in the UK is just guidelines. My wife was given appointment within 1 week and 2 days of her passing Life in the UK test.

Hope this information helps! All the best!

talha1611
Newly Registered

Post by talha1611 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Dear Desperado,

Many thanks for providing me all the info.
Yes I have taken the appointment and will visit HO shortly.

What about the status of our child who was born in UK and is now almost 5 years old. I believe she will get ILR as well but some one told me that we can apply for her British Passport immediately after ILR stamp. Is this true and if yes what is the process to do it....

desperado

Post by desperado » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:01 pm

talha1611 wrote:Dear Desperado,

Many thanks for providing me all the info.
Yes I have taken the appointment and will visit HO shortly.

What about the status of our child who was born in UK and is now almost 5 years old. I believe she will get ILR as well but some one told me that we can apply for her British Passport immediately after ILR stamp. Is this true and if yes what is the process to do it....
If child is born in the UK and if one of the parent holds ILR or British Citizenship then the child will automatically be eligible for British Citizenship.

I'm not sure whether you need to apply ILR for your child first along with you. I think if you both get ILR then apply for British Citizenship for your child. That's what I think. I'm not sure.

All the best!