ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit Visa for Parents - confusions

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sumayyahhai
Newly Registered

Visit Visa for Parents - confusions

Post by sumayyahhai » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi,
I'm applying for a Standard Visitor Visa for my father (retired) and mother (housewife). This is the first time they are coming and have sufficient funds to fund their trip and support their application.
They also have strong ties to their home country as they have their friends and families there. And have to maintain their house as they have sublet it. Plus my siblings and I stay with them every time we travel to Pakistan from the different countries we stay in.

However I have 3 confusions for their application.

1. They financially support my brother (22) for his tuition fees and accommodation in UAE, as he is a student. However, he doesn't live with them. Should I mention him in the application under the question:
Does anyone rely on you for financial support?
Include both those travelling with you and those who are not. (Required)
This could include:
  • children under 18
  • children over 18 who live with you at home
  • children who you look after all the time
  • older relatives who need you for accommodation or other support
2. I have read in forums that overstays in previous visits causes subsequent visit applications to be rejected. So I want to enter the duration of their visit as 6 months, just in case they have to stay long. However,
a. How much money would they have to show that they can support themselves here for 6 months (even though they'll be living with me)? I read somewhere that visitors should show around 80-120 GBP per day. That sums up to quite a lot of money to keep for 6 months. :shock: is that correct, or they could show a lower amount??
b. How will they be showing this amount or proving it? Of course they have it in their banks in their home country but how would they be showing proof that they have it here? Do they need to bring all that money in cash? Or transfer it somewhere? They don't have bank accounts here.

3. They own the house they live in back home, but they have named it after my sister. Just so they can pass it on to her. the house deed would mention her as the owner even though he paid for it and maintains it and lives in it. Therefore I have answered the following question with "Other" and gave explanation. Would this affect the application negatively?
How long have you lived at this address? (Required)
8 Years

What is the ownership status of your home? (Required)

- I own it
- I rent it
- Other
Give more details about your living situation, such as who you live with and who owns the property

Thanks for your help in advance!

If this goes well I'll be uploading all details to help others with similar queries.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Visit Visa for Parents - confusions

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:09 pm

They are coming for the first time as you said. UK gives a minimum tourist visa for 6months (If I am not wrong?). But when the application form asks how long will they stay in UK do NOT mention they will stay here for 6 months. They dont like people staying here for longer periods on tourist visa (no tourist stays here for 6 months?) although one can stay up to 180 days in a single entry. But if that becomes a norm they will likely question or cause a refusal. You should just mention 2/3 weeks or so.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:11 pm

To be honest, they have to show strong ties with home country. Owning your own house, having healthy bank balance, work, business property etc can be bonuses. Your father is retired and mom a house wife plus all kids are settled abroad. You need to prove some authentic connection to home country as the first worry Case Worker has is that they wont return back (unfortunately) .

Have they travelled before to some other country? Do they have valid visa for any other country?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:19 pm

Are you or your husband or children British Citizens?

sumayyahhai
Newly Registered

Post by sumayyahhai » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:37 pm

Hey tier11714,

Yes my husband is a British citizen
You need to prove some authentic connection to home country as the first worry Case Worker has is that they wont return back (unfortunately) .

Have they travelled before to some other country? Do they have valid visa for any other country?
Yes they used to live in KSA until last year, and recently moved to Pakistan. They have their friends and family there in Pak who they don't want to leave. However how can I give proof of this?
But when the application form asks how long will they stay in UK do NOT mention they will stay here for 6 months. They don't like people staying here for longer periods on tourist visa (no tourist stays here for 6 months?) although one can stay up to 180 days in a single entry. But if that becomes a norm they will likely question or cause a refusal. You should just mention 2/3 weeks or so.
That makes sense, however if I mention 2 or 3 weeks and they end up staying for 3 months, the next time they apply for visit, wouldn't overstaying previous visit hinder their chances of getting visa accepted again? I don't want to close the doors for them visiting in the future. How much time should I mention in this case, 3 months?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:49 pm

sumayyahhai wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:37 pm
Hey tier11714,

Yes my husband is a British citizen
You need to prove some authentic connection to home country as the first worry Case Worker has is that they wont return back (unfortunately) .

Yes they used to live in KSA until last year, and recently moved to Pakistan. They have their friends and family there in Pak who they don't want to leave. However how can I give proof of this?
But when the application form asks how long will they stay in UK do NOT mention they will stay here for 6 months. They don't like people staying here for longer periods on tourist visa (no tourist stays here for 6 months?) although one can stay up to 180 days in a single entry. But if that becomes a norm they will likely question or cause a refusal. You should just mention 2/3 weeks or so.
That makes sense, however if I mention 2 or 3 weeks and they end up staying for 3 months, the next time they apply for visit, wouldn't overstaying previous visit hinder their chances of getting visa accepted again? I don't want to close the doors for them visiting in the future. How much time should I mention in this case, 3 months?
The minimum tourist visa UK gives is 6 months anyways (check?)
Even if you mention 3 weeks, once the visa is accepted, its upto the tourist how much he wants to stay. Can stay upto 180 days in a single entry.

If a tourist goes back within the given time frame, thats a good signal. Should not have problems in securing a visa again.

Having said that, if a tourist is always staying for 3/4 months or longer in every entry to UK, the immigration officer highly likely will ask questions and put notes in the system.

Given your parents situation, you can just do your best as one is retired and one is a house wife. Just try to list all the assets (if any), any bank accounts, you can list the family connections on a cover letter. Anything else that would connect them to Pakistan.

Apply for the visa and hope for the best. I pray they get the visa!

The documents you should provide them:
1) Include a copy of your husband’s British Passport
2) Your passport/BRP copy
3) Tenancy agreement etc
4) Council Tax
5) Bills
6) Any bank account/s you have in UK showing your financial situation
7) Add a cover letter that highlights your circumstances in UK and that you can take care of them and they can live with you. For example someone having a 1 bedroom flat is less likely to host parents compared to someone having a 3 bedroom house.

sumayyahhai
Newly Registered

Post by sumayyahhai » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks for the answer.

However can you or someone answer my initial questions?

They financially support my brother (22) for his tuition fees and accommodation in UAE, as he is a student. However, he doesn't live with them. Should I mention him in the application under the question:
This could include:
children under 18
children over 18 who live with you at home
children who you look after all the time
older relatives who need you for accommodation or other support
2. How much money would they have to show that they can support themselves here for 3 months (even though they'll be living with me)? I read somewhere that visitors should show around 80-120 GBP per day. That sums up to quite a lot of money to keep for 3-4 months. :shock: is that correct, or they could show a lower amount??
3. How will they be showing this amount or proving it? Of course they have it in their banks in their home country but how would they be showing proof that they have it here? Do they need to bring all that money in cash? Or transfer it somewhere? They don't have bank accounts here.
4. They own the house they live in back home, but they have named it after my sister. Just so they can pass it on to her. the house deed would mention her as the owner even though he paid for it and maintains it and lives in it. Therefore I have answered the following question with "Other" and gave explanation. Would this affect the application negatively?
8 Years

- I own it
- I rent it
- Other
Give more details about your living situation, such as who you live with and who owns the property

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:04 pm

sumayyahhai wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:23 pm
Hi,
I'm applying for a Standard Visitor Visa for my father (retired) and mother (housewife). This is the first time they are coming and have sufficient funds to fund their trip and support their application.
They also have strong ties to their home country as they have their friends and families there. And have to maintain their house as they have sublet it. Plus my siblings and I stay with them every time we travel to Pakistan from the different countries we stay in.

However I have 3 confusions for their application.

1. They financially support my brother (22) for his tuition fees and accommodation in UAE, as he is a student. However, he doesn't live with them. Should I mention him in the application under the question:
This could include:
  • children under 18
  • children over 18 who live with you at home
  • children who you look after all the time
  • older relatives who need you for accommodation or other support
2. I have read in forums that overstays in previous visits causes subsequent visit applications to be rejected. So I want to enter the duration of their visit as 6 months, just in case they have to stay long. However,
a. How much money would they have to show that they can support themselves here for 6 months (even though they'll be living with me)? I read somewhere that visitors should show around 80-120 GBP per day. That sums up to quite a lot of money to keep for 6 months. :shock: is that correct, or they could show a lower amount??
b. How will they be showing this amount or proving it? Of course they have it in their banks in their home country but how would they be showing proof that they have it here? Do they need to bring all that money in cash? Or transfer it somewhere? They don't have bank accounts here.

3. They own the house they live in back home, but they have named it after my sister. Just so they can pass it on to her. the house deed would mention her as the owner even though he paid for it and maintains it and lives in it. Therefore I have answered the following question with "Other" and gave explanation. Would this affect the application negatively?
8 Years

- I own it
- I rent it
- Other

Thanks for your help in advance!

If this goes well I'll be uploading all details to help others with similar queries.
2) You just have to show home bank statements for visa sake. You dont have to transfer it or bring it all with you. You should carry some cash yes otherwise immigration officers might question that how will you fund your visit.

3) This can actually be seen like this that they are giving up their assets and less connection to Pakistan now.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:06 pm

sumayyahhai wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:04 pm
Thanks for the answer.

However can you or someone answer my initial questions?

They financially support my brother (22) for his tuition fees and accommodation in UAE, as he is a student. However, he doesn't live with them. Should I mention him in the application under the question:
This could include:
children under 18
children over 18 who live with you at home
children who you look after all the time
older relatives who need you for accommodation or other support
2. How much money would they have to show that they can support themselves here for 3 months (even though they'll be living with me)? I read somewhere that visitors should show around 80-120 GBP per day. That sums up to quite a lot of money to keep for 3-4 months. :shock: is that correct, or they could show a lower amount??
3. How will they be showing this amount or proving it? Of course they have it in their banks in their home country but how would they be showing proof that they have it here? Do they need to bring all that money in cash? Or transfer it somewhere? They don't have bank accounts here.
4. They own the house they live in back home, but they have named it after my sister. Just so they can pass it on to her. the house deed would mention her as the owner even though he paid for it and maintains it and lives in it. Therefore I have answered the following question with "Other" and gave explanation. Would this affect the application negatively?
8 Years

- I own it
- I rent it
- Other
1) The question asks that so yes be truthful.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:09 pm

2) They should not mention 4 months in the form at the first place. Just saying with my experience and perception. Just calculate the money for 3/4 weeks. But its upto you.

sumayyahhai
Newly Registered

Post by sumayyahhai » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:40 am

Thanks for your help. Will post the outcome here.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:07 am

tier11417 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:09 pm
2) They should not mention 4 months in the form at the first place. Just saying with my experience and perception. Just calculate the money for 3/4 weeks. But its upto you.
Don’t lie about the length of stay. If they are coming for 4 months say so because if they say a period less than they will actually stay then the next visa application is going to be difficult.

sumayyahhai
Newly Registered

Post by sumayyahhai » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:58 pm

Yes I've heard many rejection stories on the visa being rejected because previous visa was overstayed.
I think I'll put a safe duration of 3.5 months.