ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fvigaud
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by fvigaud » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:51 pm

I sent via Fedex yesterday to Balbriggan from Washington, DC. I do find it curious that so many posters seem to have worked through their local consulates. I followed the online instructions and I haven't a clue which is the correct procedure...

and 13 months? ugh...

BecomingIrishCitizen
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by BecomingIrishCitizen » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:59 pm

[/quote]Wouldn’t you have needed to send your application to the embassy?
[/quote]

That’s what I thought but when I called the FBR in Ireland to query something, they told me I need to send it to Balbriggan in Dublin, which was the address stated on my application form.

Hopefully it all goes to plan either way!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:01 pm

fvigaud wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:51 pm
I sent via Fedex yesterday to Balbriggan from Washington, DC. I do find it curious that so many posters seem to have worked through their local consulates. I followed the online instructions and I haven't a clue which is the correct procedure...

and 13 months? ugh...
That is the correct way of shipping for newer applications. Mine was to the street address in Dublin from USA as that was the protocol at the time, recent applicants are told to send to the PO box as you have done. Yea, 13 months! A few people that applied 2 weeks before me had been approved in Dec, but apparently they office moved and this has somehow managed to add a serious amount of time to anyone who applied from the US after Aug 10th or so.

fvigaud
United States of America

Post by fvigaud » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:33 pm

thank you Michael

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:34 am

Michael

I don't think it was just (or even mainly) the office move that added to the wait times of US applicants. The relocation occurred at the start of 2019 and may have impacted me in terms of certificate printing times. However, for applications that had not yet been reviewed, the effect was likely negligible.

More probable, was that things came to head between the Irish embassy in London and the FBR section. The London embassy had been complaining for some time about the burden that the immense amount of applications they were receiving was placing them under. Evidently, they won on this and the FBR section had to accept responsibility for processing applications submitted in the UK directly rather than via London. It is plausible that the backlog of applications that had built up in London was also transferred to Dublin. This, of course, meant that some applications received in the UK a long time ago (April / May 2018) had not been touched, whereas others that originated from the US and arrived in July / August were already under processing.

At some stage, a decision was taken to re-calibrate things and clear up this perceived unfairness. This involved sorting all applications by date order received and then proceeding on that basis. In terms of FBR, application volume from the UK has been dominant over the past few years. This meant that the addition of the UK applications into the system led to a pronounced slowdown in processing times for other direct to Dublin applicants.

Applications that came through embassies elsewhere may not have been adversely influenced by this change, as there may be different streams within the FBR section when it comes to dealing with direct applications and those previously reviewed by embassy staff.

This is the only way I can think of to explain what has happened. It also explains why I was able to apply after Spav and Sean but make it onto the FBR register before either of them. We were not in the same queue.

fvigaud
United States of America

Post by fvigaud » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:44 am

Sulla,

You and others have studied this very closely, clearly. Is there any reason to believe (from the move, the increase in staff, the direct handling of UK apps, the new certificates) that they have finally managed to work out what facilities and systems they need to handle this tremendous increase in applications, and perhaps get back on track with the 6-month window? (I know I am asking you to look into a crystal ball, in part!) And there is no option (beyond pregnancy) to solicit/pay for an expedited review, correct?

thanks,
F

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:26 am

fvigaud

There is no method to expedite an FBR application, with the exception of a pregnancy. Similarly, there is no method to track an FBR application.

We have seen some signs of progress of late, with Richard, Me and Brawn all receiving our certificates. However, all of us applied quite some time ago. With reference to direct to Dublin applications recapturing their previous (sub-6 month) processing times, I think we are now some distance from that point. In contrast, it appears from the language the DFA are using on their website that they are now trying to temper expectations of rapid turnaround times.

Certainly, from what Michael and others have been told over the phone, there is little cause for immediate optimism. To be candid, I doubt we will see processing times revert to within 6 months until application volume tapers off. Recent data points have not suggested that is occurring as yet. Therefore, I would expect any improvements in wait times to be marginal until that situation alters.

fvigaud
United States of America

Post by fvigaud » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:31 am

thank you Sulla.

Wims
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Wims » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi there,

I am currently seeking FBR for my children (submitted last September – still waiting)

Both of my sisters would like to do the same for their own children but are waiting for the return of the supporting documents (parents and grandparents marriage certificates etc.) from my application before they can start their own.

I am looking ahead to when I eventually got the supporting documents back and was wondering whether both of my sisters could submit the hard copies of their children’s applications together in one pack so that each of the applications draws from the same supporting information at the same time. Otherwise one of my sisters will have to apply for their children first while the other will need to wait potentially in excess of a year before they can apply (and will then need to wait a further 12 months themselves potentially for it to complete).

Has anyone here applied for FBR jointly like this before? Is this likely to cause any issues do you think?

I will obviously direct them to contact the embassy directly on this first but I know there is a lot of real life experience on these boards that I hoped might help,

Thanks

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:13 pm

Wims wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:03 pm

I am looking ahead to when I eventually got the supporting documents back and was wondering whether both of my sisters could submit the hard copies of their children’s applications together in one pack so that each of the applications draws from the same supporting information at the same time.

Has anyone here applied for FBR jointly like this before? Is this likely to cause any issues do you think?
Wims

Yes, this can be done. Two application forms need to be submitted and of course two fees paid. This covers siblings, but it is logical that it extends to any joint application, for instance cousins. It is covered in the FAQ found here:

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenshi ... cent-faqs/

Can my sibling and I apply for Foreign Birth Registration jointly?

Yes, you can use the same set of papers and supporting documents for both applications. Just enclose the two separate application forms in one envelope and send it to us with a letter saying that some of the documents apply to both applications. This only applies if you are resident in the same country when applying.

Wims
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Wims » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:23 pm

excellent, thanks so much, with hindsight we should have all applied together but I never thought it would be this arduous,

at least I don't have to choose between which sister to give the supporting info to first now!

thanks again

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:03 pm

Court2 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:53 pm
What exactly did your DFA confirmation of approval say?
Hey Court

Here’s what the email confirmation said:

Congratulations you are now an Irish Citizen. Your recent application for Foreign Birth Registration has been successful and your certificate is currently awaiting printing.
Your original documentation and your certificate will either be sent to you by registered post in 2-3 weeks or our mission will be in touch with you directly to arrange collection/delivery.

I had some days to take off work before end of April otherwise I lose them, so I figured A good use of one would be to make my way to Liverpool to do the passport express service.

Was a painless experience. One thing is my witness had stamped and signed all four of my passport photos and the chap in the post office said they only want 2. Luckily I had one non-stamped photo left from my batch of 5, and he cleaned off the stamp and signature from the back of one of the photos with Jif cream cleaner! - worked a treat though! 😂

Liverpool post office said that the passport express can take up to 3 weeks, maybe a month. I’ll keep you all updated

Good luck to everyone else still in the waiting phase!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:09 am

brawn401 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:03 pm

Was a painless experience. One thing is my witness had stamped and signed all four of my passport photos and the chap in the post office said they only want 2. Luckily I had one non-stamped photo left from my batch of 5, and he cleaned off the stamp and signature from the back of one of the photos with Jif cream cleaner! - worked a treat though! 😂
Brawn

When I submitted my passport application in person, I was told that the 2 passport photos that are signed and stamped are the ones that are actually used for the purposes of making the passport. The others are just for backup in case there is an issue with the signed and stamped pair. It struck me as a bit strange that the photos that had been written on would be the ones that were used. I thought that writing on the reverse might subtly alter the image. However, I am certainly no authority on photography and was informed I might get the other two photos back if they were not needed.

I still have just under 3 weeks left of estimated wait time. Thus far, the passport tracker has not moved from "processing application". With the benefit of passport express, (which I could not use) you might actually get your passport first.

fvigaud
United States of America

Post by fvigaud » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:55 am

Sulla et al,
When I sent in my application the other day, I had my witness sign and date the back of two of the four passport-sized photos. Was that a mistake??? (If I've correctly understood your message Sulla, you had photos signed on the photo side?)

thank you,
F

Laurie9434

Post by Laurie9434 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:55 am

Michael123 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:20 pm
BecomingIrishCitizen wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:23 pm
Michael123 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:52 pm
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:01 am
Did any of you send your FBR to Balbriggan, Dublin or London Embassy of Ireland(?).

I sent my application direct to Dublin from thr USA via Fedex next day international air service. Dublin confirmed reciept via email on Aug 21, 2018
Thanks. That’s where I have also sent it to. I have got the receipt to track the parcel and signature.

Same here, Fedex showed delivery on 8/20/18 at 9am and Dublin showed delivery on 8/21/18.. I paid just under 100.00 for shipping when the waiting time was 4 months. I was most recently told 13 months after calling Dublin. I basically drove 100mph to slam on my brakes for the longest red light in history.

Where from? Boston, MA here
Me, too. Mine was received in Dublin. I received an email stating such on August 15, 2018. The red light is agonizing! 13 months? That’s absurd!!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:01 am

Laurie9434 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:55 am
Michael123 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:20 pm
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:23 pm
Michael123 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:52 pm

I sent my application direct to Dublin from thr USA via Fedex next day international air service. Dublin confirmed reciept via email on Aug 21, 2018
Thanks. That’s where I have also sent it to. I have got the receipt to track the parcel and signature.

Same here, Fedex showed delivery on 8/20/18 at 9am and Dublin showed delivery on 8/21/18.. I paid just under 100.00 for shipping when the waiting time was 4 months. I was most recently told 13 months after calling Dublin. I basically drove 100mph to slam on my brakes for the longest red light in history.

Where from? Boston, MA here
Me, too. Mine was received in Dublin. I received an email stating such on August 15, 2018. The red light is agonizing! 13 months? That’s absurd!!

At least we dont have a residency requirement.

Where from Laurie?

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:09 am

fvigaud wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:55 am
(If I've correctly understood your message Sulla, you had photos signed on the photo side?)
Fvigaud

No, the photos were signed and stamped on the reverse in all cases - both for the FBR application and for the passport. You have not made a mistake. The obverse should be pristine and free of creases or ink marks.

You have to understand that I am a person who knows nothing about how photography works or how the image from the photo is transferred to the passport. When I look at a passport photo with writing on the reverse and hold it up to the light, I can see the writing. I just assumed that would be a problem for whatever machine they use. Definitely more of a problem than new, untarnished photos.

This is especially the case when you see how they deal with the photos they get for the passport. There are two spaces for the photos at the base of the passport application form. One signed photo is glued onto the application form with the image inwards and the other with the image outwards. The remaining two were just left in a bag. Yet, I was told, it's the signed / stamped ones that are used to create the passport image. It just struck me as odd, that's all. Sorry for any confusion.

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:38 am

Still nothing to report from me.....

I am coming up to 3 months since I applied

Not heard anything back from the embassy after my asking for confirmation of receipt - that was 2 and a half weeks ago now, I probably should ask again after all I am asking them to confirm they have them (even though I tracked it and have a signature)

I do agree with Michael on the figures for 2018 when they are still processing from July of last year that it cannot possibly 88% of applications completed.

I keep being asked if I have my passport yet.... I haven't even got citizenship yet! Getting fed up keep being asked now, I think it is because documents are wanted back because I have had them for so long already and others want to apply also but obviously cannot do so until I have all the documents back after receiving the passport which is way, way, way down the line yet.

I think their move of office did impact things but that was was long enough ago that it shouldn't be impacting on things now and really should have been accounted for in the move/everything from UK being sent direct. Hopefully they will start to get back on track and complete applications within the stated 6 month timescale but if they are still working on half way through last year I don't think that is really going to be any time soon unless they take on a huge amount of extra staff, especially when people like Michael who applied in August is being told September.

nic123
Newly Registered
England

Post by nic123 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:57 am

Ahhh....found you all finally!
Thought you'd all been approved & left...lol

Today marks 10 months & no news (went for approval Nov 15th). :(

nick1066
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nick1066 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:41 pm

My passport application arrived in Cork on Valentine's Day and the estimate was 23rd March, when that date passed (the date bar having miraculously moved backwards in time) I looked at the page which gives all the estimates for various scenarios. During Feb & March I hadn't actually noticed this page. It was fairly shocking to see that for first timers from the UK it gave a timescale of 50 working days (minimum!). Seemingly I had looked away for a few days and it went up to 55 days, then 57 days and now (after Easter) went to 62 working days.
Effectively, you are seeing the DFA grinding to a halt in real time. Now, a lot I am sure has to do with Brexit and the assumption probably that a good number of Brits are not actually passport-free so there is no real rush. How Civil Servants are distributed through various department is anyone's guess but I had a look at their Twitter feed and although this is awful from a selfish point of view (I assume they have to suddenly drop day-to-day work), it it quite amusing. A great number of Irish citizens who are renewing passports appear to wait until just a few days or a week before travel to get round to applying. The consequence is that they pay for express service or inundate the phone lines and Twitter feed in sheer panic. It goes on for pages and pages and includes the chap who is offering free beer to the passport official who can speed his application up!
This made me a little less grumpy about the dimming light at the end of my tunnel and serves as a good piece of knowledge for those contemplating living in the country.

ben321
Newly Registered
Sweden

Post by ben321 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:04 pm

Still nothing about my FBR. I applied online in June 2018 and I know that my local embassy had received my forms by mid July 2018. I guess I'm on for about 10 months now.

Celtic1967
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Celtic1967 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:13 pm

A wee update for me today- my online passport tracker has now reached in the end of the progress bar, and my application is now apparently complete and has been dispatched.

My updated timelines are as follows:-
FBR TIMELINE:
Application and Supporting Documents sent to Edinburgh Consulate: 09 May 2018
Email from Consulate requesting additional documentation: 16 May 2018
Additional documentation sent to Consulate: 23 May 2018
Congratulations email: Never received
Date of FBR Entry (as per certificate): 12 December 2018
Receipt of returned documents and certificate: 30 March 2019

PASSPORT TIMELINE:
Application and supporting documents sent (using Passport Express Service): 02 April 2019
Application received by DFA (according to online tracker): 08 April 2019
Application complete and passport dispatched (according to online tracker): 24 April 2018
Receipt of passport and return of supporting documents: pending

Gennart Meehan
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Gennart Meehan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:22 pm

Gennart Meehan wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:32 pm
Hello everyone - here is my (as yet inconclusive) timeline:

Application to be entered on to the FBR acknowledged as received at London Embassy - 7th February 2018
Email from Dublin, 'Unable to proceed as baptismal certificates are not acceptable' (rule changed in January unbeknownst to me) - 19th June 2018
Application to register birth of Grandmother (1879) sent to General Register Office - 24th August 2018
Birth registered - 15th September 2018
Application to be entered on to the FBR acknowledged as received at London Embassy - 1st October 2018
Nothing received since then.

GM
Now received the following, after posting a query at the six month point - 11th of April (my emphasis):

Your application was received on 01/10/2018. An acknowledgement email was sent to the email address provided by you on the application. Unfortunately, it is not possible at present to give you an indication of the timescale in which your application will be processed. An officer will contact you by email if any documents or clarification is required to complete your application.

Yours sincerely

fvigaud
United States of America

Post by fvigaud » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:37 am

Starting my FBR timeline!

22 April 2019: Sent priority international from Washington, DC.
26 April 2019: DFAT acknowledged receipt today, via email, stating "Applications can take up to 6 months to process"
.......and the wait begins.......

Cheers,
F

LesMalouinettes
Mood:
France

Post by LesMalouinettes » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:33 am

fvigaud wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:37 am
.......and the wait begins.......
Yup, apparently they've never heard the phrase, "Under promise and over deliver". I think it's more along the lines of, "We have your money now, F-you!".