ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jaxx22
Finland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Jaxx22 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:50 am

fvigaud wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:37 am
Starting my FBR timeline!

22 April 2019: Sent priority international from Washington, DC.
26 April 2019: DFAT acknowledged receipt today, via email, stating "Applications can take up to 6 months to process"
.......and the wait begins.......

Cheers,
F
At least you have acknowledgement, you actually then are ahead of me and I applied in February! I sent my documents to the embassy, have asked the embassy to confirm receipt and heard nothing from them either.
LesMalouinettes wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:33 am
fvigaud wrote:
Yup, apparently they've never heard the phrase, "Under promise and over deliver". I think it's more along the lines of, "We have your money now, F-you!".
^ I think that about sums it up. :lol:

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:34 am

[qquote=Jaxx22 post_id=1773422 time=1556351408 user_id=212506]
fvigaud wrote:
Starting my FBR timeline!

22 April 2019: Sent priority international from Washington, DC.
26 April 2019: DFAT acknowledged receipt today, via email, stating "Applications can take up to 6 months to process"

Cheers,
F
At least you have acknowledgement, you actually then are ahead of me and I applied in February! I sent my documents to the embassy, have asked the embassy to confirm receipt and heard nothing from them either.
LesMalouinettes wrote:
fvigaud wrote:
Yup, apparently they've never heard the phrase, "Under promise and over deliver". I think it's more along the lines of, "We have your money now, F-you!".
^ I think that about sums it up. :lol:
[/quote]

Hi Jaxx
I seen on one of your older post that you said your dad was a proud Irish man so are you not Irish under Irish law from your dad?

Also did you apply for the FBR February 2018 or Feb 2019?

Lee

My status so far
Online FBR application - 28/12/18
Documents received Balbriggan - 06/02/19
Confirmation e-mail - pending
Certificate printing - pending
Certificate receive - pending

Marwin
Newly Registered
Germany

Mistake on Foreign Birth Registration application form

Post by Marwin » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:22 pm

I have managed to enter my parents birth registration date instead of birth date on the FBR form. Has anyone had experiences with correcting errors on the FBR application form while they are being processed by the DFA?

Here is my FBR timeline so far.

15 October 2018: FBR application submitted to the Embassy of Ireland in Berlin, Germany
24 October 2018: Embassy of Ireland requested additional supporting documentation
[19 November 2018: Documentation requested from another country]
[07 April 2019: Documentation received from another country]
07 April 2019: Additional documents submitted to the Embassy of Ireland in Berlin, Germany
10 April 2019: Email acknowledging the receipt of the FBR application and supporting documentation

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:34 am

Lee2521 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:34 am

Hi Jaxx
I seen on one of your older post that you said your dad was a proud Irish man so are you not Irish under Irish law from your dad?

Lee

My status so far
No because he was born abroad also (army barracks) to Irish parents so he has to also sent documents every time he has to renew passport, I think that is why he keeps asking about it even though he doesn't have to renew for a while - luckily! So I have to then go through the FBR process.

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:07 pm

Jaxx22 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:34 am
Lee2521 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:34 am

Hi Jaxx

Lee

My status so far
No because he was born abroad also (army barracks) to Irish parents so he has to also sent documents every time he has to renew passport, I think that is why he keeps asking about it even though he doesn't have to renew for a while - luckily! So I have to then go through the FBR process.
Fair enough, It's a pain in the butt having to go through the FBR route but it's worth it and hope you get your documents received e-mail very soon

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:26 am

LesMalouinettes wrote:

When I read the statements on the DFA website regarding estimated FBR processing times, I always get the same feeling as when I listen to a Tesla conference call. It sounds great - as though progress is being made and things are headed in the right direction. At the back of your mind though, you know something just doesn't seem right and everything isn't going to be OK.

For inefficiency, poor customer service, and a tendency to lay blame for under-performance at the feet of exogenous events, the DFA is certainly deserving of censure. With that said though, I have to excuse them of being mercenary in their outlook. On balance, the cost of the FBR process is not that elevated compared to other citizenship programs. Moreover, they will refund your application fee if you fail to qualify for citizenship or withdraw your application - that's quite rare. Aside from this, they have made precisely no effort to establish a lucrative fast track processing system. If they did, it would doubtless net them a significant sum. My conclusion is that as a department the DFA cares little for FBR and certainly does not perceive it as a the goose that lays golden eggs. Equally, I think the FBR section employees resent doing more work for the same pay. Many of them are probably yearning for the days of yesteryear, when the FBR department was a stress free sinecure.

Therefore, I do not think the source of the poor service or general slowness is at all attributable to the attitude that "we have your money now, so you have no leverage and we are happy." I would think that "We don't want your money, take it back, leave us alone and let us go back to processing far fewer applications for the same salary" is closer to the mark. Admittedly, either view is disappointing.

LesMalouinettes
Mood:
France

Post by LesMalouinettes » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:49 am

Sulla wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:26 am
Therefore, I do not think the source of the poor service or general slowness is at all attributable to the attitude that "we have your money now, so you have no leverage and we are happy." I would think that "We don't want your money, take it back, leave us alone and let us go back to processing far fewer applications for the same salary" is closer to the mark. Admittedly, either view is disappointing.
Fair comment. I guess I'm just very frustrated at not knowing whether I'm going to be stuck here in Australia or getting married in France next year. We've been together since 2015 and were hoping the FBR would all be wrapped up by now, but it isn't and not knowing is very hard on our relationship.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:15 am

LesMalouinettes wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:49 am
Fair comment. I guess I'm just very frustrated at not knowing whether I'm going to be stuck here in Australia or getting married in France next year. We've been together since 2015 and were hoping the FBR would all be wrapped up by now, but it isn't and not knowing is very hard on our relationship.
I can imagine and I fully sympathize with what you and so many others are going through. I could not tolerate it myself and lost my patience with them at about the six month mark. This was because I knew I was on the FBR by then and it had taken them months to simply print and post the certificate. Therefore, the excuses about how many new applications they had and how rigorous their review process was, no longer had relevance or held water. Unlike you, I was not in desperate need of the citizenship or the passport. However, it easily passed the point that I could tolerate. I can only imagine that this is amplified in your case and I am deeply sorry that you have been so badly let down.

I wonder, if you intend to marry and move to France, have you explored other avenues such as reunification with EU family members as a possibility, while your FBR process is pending? I am no expert in this area, but I believe it is possible for spouses to bring their non-EEA husband or wife into the EU on that basis.

LesMalouinettes
Mood:
France

Post by LesMalouinettes » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:05 am

Sulla wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:15 am
I wonder, if you intend to marry and move to France, have you explored other avenues such as reunification with EU family members as a possibility, while your FBR process is pending? I am no expert in this area, but I believe it is possible for spouses to bring their non-EEA husband or wife into the EU on that basis.
Unfortunately, I'm claiming citizenship through my Grandfather who was born in Belfast but has lived in Australia since he was 18 months old (He's now 96!) and I have no other relatives in the EU. My fiancé wants to live together for a little while before we get married, which I completely understand and even in our most desperate moments, we agree that marriage isn't something we should rush into just to secure my citizenship. Like everyone else, I'll just have to tough it out. Babies are definitely not on our agenda, so I won't be looking to expedite the FBR that way!! :D

fvigaud
United States of America

Post by fvigaud » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:24 pm

Sulla wrote:

Aside from this, they have made precisely no effort to establish a lucrative fast track processing system. If they did, it would doubtless net them a significant sum. .
Very good point. And I, for one, would most definitely pay a much larger sum to expedite this, given personal circumstances at the moment.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:45 pm

I know expectant parents are given a fast track to the FBR, I wonder if a health concern would allow the same? Past heart attack... any thoughts??

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 am

Michael

There is no policy in place for expediting applications based on health. It only covers pregnancies. This is simply due to the fact that a parent needs to be a citizen in order to pass this right down to his or her offspring. Thus, allowing a child to be born to a parent, whose FBR application was still languishing at the back of the processing queue, would deprive that child of citizenship rights. It would also not be a particularly good look for the DFA. Taking things away from newborns has never really played well.

Illness of the applicant, however, impacts only that person in citizenship terms. While "make me Irish before I die" might seem like a moving sentiment to some, it's fundamentally emotional, without any practical ramifications - unlike pregnancy. Added to this, very few people probably get pregnant during the FBR application process, making the expedition workload manageable. In contrast, giving preference to those with serious illnesses, would probably produce quite a few more.

In actuality, I am not in favor of expedition of any kind. I still have a very British addiction to the concept of queuing in an orderly fashion. Cutting in line of any sort is to be frowned upon and for some, constitutes a serious social solecism. That though is not the main reason why I don't favor accelerating the applications of people in certain categories. Instead, it's because it depends on the integrity of medical practitioners and this is certainly not equal around the world. If I wanted a medical certificate to say my wife was pregnant (when in fact she was not) in China, India, Thailand, Turkey or countless other places, let's just say it isn't all that hard. It's easy to get such things done in many places with relationships or little gifts. I just think that such a system of expedition is open to abuse and it is better to have everyone on a truly equal footing.

Laurie9434

Post by Laurie9434 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:37 am

Michael123 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:01 am
Laurie9434 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:55 am
Michael123 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:20 pm
BecomingIrishCitizen wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:23 pm

Thanks. That’s where I have also sent it to. I have got the receipt to track the parcel and signature.

Same here, Fedex showed delivery on 8/20/18 at 9am and Dublin showed delivery on 8/21/18.. I paid just under 100.00 for shipping when the waiting time was 4 months. I was most recently told 13 months after calling Dublin. I basically drove 100mph to slam on my brakes for the longest red light in history.

Where from? Boston, MA here
Me, too. Mine was received in Dublin. I received an email stating such on August 15, 2018. The red light is agonizing! 13 months? That’s absurd!!

At least we dont have a residency requirement.

Where from Laurie?
Las Vegas, NV. Although, I am originally from New York.

LesMalouinettes
Mood:
France

Post by LesMalouinettes » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:18 am

Sulla wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 am
In actuality, I am not in favor of expedition of any kind. I still have a very British addiction to the concept of queuing in an orderly fashion. Cutting in line of any sort is to be frowned upon and for some, constitutes a serious social solecism. That though is not the main reason why I don't favor accelerating the applications of people in certain categories. Instead, it's because it depends on the integrity of medical practitioners and this is certainly not equal around the world. If I wanted a medical certificate to say my wife was pregnant (when in fact she was not) in China, India, Thailand, Turkey or countless other places, let's just say it isn't all that hard. It's easy to get such things done in many places with relationships or little gifts. I just think that such a system of expedition is open to abuse and it is better to have everyone on a truly equal footing.
I'm inclined to agree, just trying to balance that with my growing impatience :) , but yes I'm no millionaire and I'd be even more infuriated if my lack of means meant everyone with more than me could push in front.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:07 am

LesMalouinettes wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:18 am

I'm inclined to agree, just trying to balance that with my growing impatience :) , but yes I'm no millionaire and I'd be even more infuriated if my lack of means meant everyone with more than me could push in front.
A fast track system based on people paying more for the FBR service to get it done more swiftly is not something I would oppose. As long as such a scheme was implemented right, it would have the prospect of benefiting all applicants by shortening waiting times across the board. By this I mean if the revenues raised from charging more for the faster processing stream were re-injected into improving the standard service - enabling more staff to be hired and waiting times cut for all.

Some CBI programs offer such fast track options and many nations also offer it for passport applications. The UK has a particularly good passport option that lets you pay roughly double and get your passport within 4 hours. I don't think of this as jumping the queue. A person who pays more is actually enabling investment in the overall system, which should lead to improvement for everyone. Of course, that depends on the revenues being properly channeled by management.

In my eyes, permitting application acceleration through payment is infinitely preferable to allowing people to go to the head of the line for a cornucopia of other reasons. Doing that, will merely lead to increased wait times for others - an outcome which would be the exact opposite of a well implemented paid fast track option.

Court2
England

Post by Court2 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:42 pm

September applicant still here waiting.

Timeanddate.com has helpfully worked out the following is how long I've been waiting:
  • 34 weeks aka '65% of a common year'
It's starting to really grate on me, especially as they have also now missed their own deadline for a FOI request I submitted recently. :roll: :?

Sulla, your summing up of them effectively wanting to be left alone is exactly my interpretation too. It would not surprise me if the delay is quite simply because they have always had a slow pace for a small number of FBR applications traditionally received prior to Brexit and they'll be dammed if they'll change their process or staffing for the increase in numbers. Utterly bizarre when this is now a real money spinner for the DFA!

nydccub
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by nydccub » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:21 pm

Today makes 8 months since DFA received my FBR application. Hopefully they will get through their backlog soon and start adding people to the registry again.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed May 01, 2019 1:17 am

Court2 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:42 pm
It's starting to really grate on me, especially as they have also now missed their own deadline for a FOI request I submitted recently. :roll: :?
They did not miss my FOI deadline, but their response (that the information did not exist) stretched credibility, as the statistic my FOI referred to is posted on their website to this day.

I think if they miss the deadline then that counts as a refusal and gives you the automatic right of appeal or escalation to the ombudsman. The second option is better, as the appeal route carries a Euro 30 charge. While small, I hardly think it would be worth paying, since the ultimate answer would still come from within the DFA and probably be completely worthless. I have read through a number of other threads on citizenship and have encountered several examples of people who submitted FOI requests to the department. None of them obtained anything useful. It seems to me that FOI requests to the DFA are heavily filtered to exclude the possibility of anything too negative emerging.

theonlyh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by theonlyh » Wed May 01, 2019 12:46 pm

Disappointing call today to the FBR department asking for an update to my application.

It was received in London on 8 October 2018 and is still in the queue to be checked.

Man said 'I wouldn't be expecting it any time soon as they are taking over a year to be processed'. I said 'Oh, so I should get it back by October then?' and he said 'no, no I said well over a year, it could be even next year when you get it'.

I thought things were supposed to be speeding up??!!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:22 pm

theonlyh wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:46 pm
Disappointing call today to the FBR department asking for an update to my application.

It was received in London on 8 October 2018 and is still in the queue to be checked.

Man said 'I wouldn't be expecting it any time soon as they are taking over a year to be processed'. I said 'Oh, so I should get it back by October then?' and he said 'no, no I said well over a year, it could be even next year when you get it'.

I thought things were supposed to be speeding up??!!
I called a few weeks ago, I was told 13 months. Application recieved in Dublin on Aug 21

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Wed May 01, 2019 1:30 pm

Due to the crazy long processing times, it now seems that I will be married before my FBR happens. Does that mean that I'll need to update my application information? I am not planning to change my name anytime in the near future. Do they care that I've gotten married?

spiderplants
European Union

Post by spiderplants » Wed May 01, 2019 2:04 pm

I was told 12+ months on webchat (when you could still do that). How accurate that is, I've no idea. I suspect those answering calls can see dates of receipt on a database and have a script about timescales to manage expectations. And, of course, now is peak passport renewal time which will take precedence.

But, the lack of any real updates on this forum is very depressing.

Mori68
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Mori68 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:55 pm

Six months next week since I submitted my application to the London embassy.

Not holding my breath...

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Mori68 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:55 pm
Six months next week since I submitted my application to the London embassy.

Not holding my breath...
Why not? I think blue is a great color on you 🤣

Im just past 8 months and will be at 9 on the 21st of May. I am now over double the waiting time that the applications were taking when I applied.

I hope they realize that the utility bills, proof of address have already gone past the 6 month requirement.

Has anyone had to resend a more up to date set “proof of address” documents because of this extended delay? I dont think it would be fair to request this, its not like we can send in future bills.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Wed May 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:00 pm
Has anyone had to resend a more up to date set “proof of address” documents because of this extended delay? I dont think it would be fair to request this, its not like we can send in future bills.
There are no reports of that happening on this forum, and for the majority of applicants, including myself, their documents would have been well in excess of 6 months old by the end of the process. They accept 6 month old documents, and the process takes at least 6 months, ergo the check carried out is obviously to verify that the documents are from the 6 months prior to the date of the application.
Sulla wrote:
Equally, I think the FBR section employees resent doing more work for the same pay. Many of them are probably yearning for the days of yesteryear, when the FBR department was a stress free sinecure.

Sulla is making a personal attack against the individuals that work for DFA here. You'll notice he's now only calling them lazy/resentful. In earlier posts, he also claimed they were over-paid, but he now knows he can't support that claim after I challenged him to quote the salary of a DFA Clerical Officer. His posts on here amount to a right-wing sermon and I won't let them go unchallenged, particularly having just come back from Ireland, and being blown away by their efficient and good-natured approach to officialdom.

Those of you that are joining in Sulla's hysterical chorus of contempt need to take a reality check. We all know that the root cause of the slower processing times is Brexit. Brexit is not a permanent thing - it will eventually be resolved one way or another, possibly by the end of the year. Therefore, expecting the Irish authorities to take on additional staff is not realistic as these staff would first need to be trained - an extra strain on resources - and would ultimately need to be fired. The Irish public would just not see the sense in this, so there's no mileage in belly-aching about it on a forum - it would be a vote-loser and isn't going to happen.

Sulla sees no contradiction between his self-confessed tax-exile status and his uncompromising stance on the performance of an under-funded Irish government department. However, I would urge the rest of you to take a more philosophical view about the few extra months you may have to wait. It's not going to kill you, and belly-aching on forums will not change anything other than increasing your stress/bitterness levels.