ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse British Citizenship Query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tirfk

Spouse British Citizenship Query

Post by tirfk » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi
If any of the guru's can please give suggestion.
My friend is a British PP holder under HSMP. His wife got PR; however before she could finish one year in PR (Stay within UK), they have moved out to different country. Its been 2-3 yrs since then; All the children got British Citizenship. However spouse is left out without British Citizenship. Is there any possibility she gets a passport/ British Citizenship? Is it mandatory for them to relocate back to UK in order to get the British Citizenship?
Any feedback is appreciated.
Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse British Citizenship Query

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:17 pm

Presumably you mean ILR and not PR (which is attained under the EU rules not UK immigration Rules).

She could have applied for citizenship as soon as she was granted ILR, there was no need to wait 1 year on ILR if her spouse was British.

Does she realise that ILR is lost when absent from the UK for 2 or more years?

Citizenship has residence and absence requirements, your friend should be well aware of this having gone through the process.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tirfk

Post by tirfk » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:20 pm

Sorry- Yes I mean ILR.
They had to move out due to circumstances; That time he wasnt aware that spouses can apply immediately after getting ILR. Now what options he has got? If the ILR is explired after 2 years- can this be renewed or he has to follow again from start like getting Visa etc?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:33 pm

They can try to apply for a returning residence visa, no guarantee though.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -residents

https://www.gov.uk/returning-resident-visa

She still won't qualify for citizenship until at least 3 years has passed once she is back in the UK if she can get the above visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.