ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Court2
England

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Court2 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:24 pm

Before you get on your high horse once again, I will not let your points go unchallenged either.

Namely, you are responsible for the closure/lock out of the previous thread on this forum.

Add something as an applicant or approved applicant to answer questions or leave.

I do not want another thread to be shut down by you, and I'm sure neither does anyone else. Thanks.
BrexitEscapee wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:12 pm
Michael123 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:00 pm
Has anyone had to resend a more up to date set “proof of address” documents because of this extended delay? I dont think it would be fair to request this, its not like we can send in future bills.
There are no reports of that happening on this forum, and for the majority of applicants, including myself, their documents would have been well in excess of 6 months old by the end of the process. They accept 6 month old documents, and the process takes at least 6 months, ergo the check carried out is obviously to verify that the documents are from the 6 months prior to the date of the application.
Sulla wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:26 am
Equally, I think the FBR section employees resent doing more work for the same pay. Many of them are probably yearning for the days of yesteryear, when the FBR department was a stress free sinecure.

Therefore, I do not think the source of the poor service or general slowness is at all attributable to the attitude that "we have your money now, so you have no leverage and we are happy." I would think that "We don't want your money, take it back, leave us alone and let us go back to processing far fewer applications for the same salary" is closer to the mark. Admittedly, either view is disappointing.
Sulla is making a personal attack against the individuals that work for DFA here. You'll notice he's now only calling them lazy/resentful. In earlier posts, he also claimed they were over-paid, but he now knows he can't support that claim after I challenged him to quote the salary of a DFA Clerical Officer. His posts on here amount to a right-wing sermon and I won't let them go unchallenged, particularly having just come back from Ireland, and being blown away by their efficient and good-natured approach to officialdom.

Those of you that are joining in Sulla's hysterical chorus of contempt need to take a reality check. We all know that the root cause of the slower processing times is Brexit. Brexit is not a permanent thing - it will eventually be resolved one way or another, possibly by the end of the year. Therefore, expecting the Irish authorities to take on additional staff is not realistic as these staff would first need to be trained - an extra strain on resources - and would ultimately need to be fired. The Irish public would just not see the sense in this, so there's no mileage in belly-aching about it on a forum - it would be a vote-loser and isn't going to happen.

Sulla sees no contradiction between his self-confessed tax-exile status and his uncompromising stance on the performance of an under-funded Irish government department. However, I would urge the rest of you to take a more philosophical view about the few extra months you may have to wait. It's not going to kill you, and belly-aching on forums will not change anything other than increasing your stress/bitterness levels.

Diljeet
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Diljeet » Wed May 01, 2019 10:01 pm

Does anyone know if the 'replacement FBR' means your original FBR 'number/cert' gets cancelled and a new one issued (like a bank card), or if it is a duplicate. I have been told by 1 person at the DFA that it does cancel the original, and another 2 that it doesn't. I got my FBR last year prior to the birth of my child so now looking to get his FBR application sent off, and also to get my passport. Meaning I need 2 original FBRs. I don't want to risk his application going through for a year only to find that the FBR supporting his application has been cancelled. Everyone at the DFA has been extremely helpful, and I'm really appreciative of all their guidance (so definitely no criticism aimed at them) - but a little nervous as there have been some cases of conflicting advice so just wondered if anyone had got a replacement certificate with the idea that it will be a duplicate - and if so if it had the same number as your original certificate?

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Wed May 01, 2019 10:06 pm

Court2 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:24 pm
Before you get on your high horse once again, I will not let your points go unchallenged either.

Namely, you are responsible for the closure/lock out of the previous thread on this forum.

Add something as an applicant or approved applicant to answer questions or leave.

I do not want another thread to be shut down by you, and I'm sure neither does anyone else. Thanks.
Tough. I will continue to tackle Sulla's right wing preaching whether you like it or not. If you'd bothered to read the last thread, you'd see that both me and PasadenaTom had been providing politics-free guidance to forum users, based on our own research/experience, as opposed to Sulla's copy/paste approach. It was Sulla's decision to get on his Daily Mail soap box about lazy, over-paid civil-servants that provoked our reaction which got the last thread shut down. If he wants to get this one shut down, then so be it - I'm not going to lose sleep over a thread on an internet forum, any more than I would for waiting a few extra months for my citizenship to come through.

Rbs3
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Rbs3 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:15 pm

Hello diljeet. Interesting question. I have no direct experience but would suggest that the certificate is not cancelled when another is issued, because the certificate is actually a certified copy of what exists on the Register held by the DFA (similar to how a birth certificate works). A passport, on the other hand, is different because the document itself is the ‘right’ (eg to travel).

Won’t they take a long time to issue a replacement FBR? Would you be better offer applying for your passport first, then FBR for your child once it is returned?

spiderplants
European Union

Post by spiderplants » Wed May 01, 2019 10:29 pm

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Those of you that are joining in Sulla's hysterical chorus of contempt need to take a reality check. We all know that the root cause of the slower processing times is Brexit. happen.
There's no contempt from me. I think some of us just check in here for news and would love to see progress. I have huge sympathy with the staff dealing with Brexit fallout.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Wed May 01, 2019 10:52 pm

spiderplants wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:29 pm
There's no contempt from me. I think some of us just check in here for news and would love to see progress. I have huge sympathy with the staff dealing with Brexit fallout.
Good man. I've got no problem with people feeling despondent about the wait - I've been through it, and can imagine the frustration when deadlines aren't met and there's no feedback. I just refuse to keep quiet when Sulla and co. play politics with it - if they're determined to get up on their political soap-boxes, then they'd better be prepared for a lively debate...

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu May 02, 2019 1:12 am

DanaMarie wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:30 pm
Due to the crazy long processing times, it now seems that I will be married before my FBR happens. Does that mean that I'll need to update my application information? I am not planning to change my name anytime in the near future. Do they care that I've gotten married?
As long as the information and document set that you submitted to the DFA was accurate at the time of application then there will not be an issue. In general, this holds true for most types of applications. I do not think that apprising them of your marriage is necessary or would be impactful.
The same applies to changes of address. However, with the latter, if it is going to pose a difficulty for delivery, then I would suggest updating the FBR section of the change.

If you are going through an overseas mission, based on my experience, potential address changes will be no problem. I was advised that they could courier my certificate to the address given on my application form or another address that I specified.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu May 02, 2019 1:45 am

Court2 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:24 pm
Court

Please do not engage. It's not worth it. All that will happen is that this forum thread will be closed down once again and the resources built up will be harder for people to access. I want to avoid that scenario. I also don't wish to see people who have helped others leave the forum. That extends to those who hold me in low regard or have views opposed to my own. Neither objective will be served by a protracted argument.

Therefore, I implore you and any others who might feel the urge to refute each other to restrain yourselves. Arguments with only one side participating are destined to be short. I am certainly not getting involved again. People are quite capable of reaching their own determination about whose conduct is more appropriate and whose opinions better grounded.

Barry0131
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Barry0131 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:15 am

I usually lurk here and just check how everything is going based on other's posts. not very speedily it seems.

My sister and I submitted our joint FBR applications about 5 weeks ago and so far all we got was a delivery confirmation. i have a feeling we are in for a long wait. She still thinks Christmas.

I read the comments about Sulla and I feel a bit responsible for kicking this off. It was me that asked for advice about stuff that was worrying me about becoming an Irish citizen. The two biggies were army service and tax. Sula gave me a super long answer in the old thread that put my mind at ease. He was the only one that did. I think it was at that point that this other guy opened fire on him over taxes and it dragged the old forum down.

Not only did he help me out but i can see he answers plenty of other folks questions too. I really don't see what BrexitEscapee is on about when he talks about politics. He's the only one bringing politics and newspapers up. Many people here are having a bit of a moan about the Dfa. Who wouldn't be when they seem to be getting slower not quicker and when people call all they seem to do is kick the can down the road to a later date?

We are all in the same boat. Try not to rock it too much. Peace.

LesMalouinettes
Mood:
France

Post by LesMalouinettes » Thu May 02, 2019 5:30 am

Frankly, I try to keep the whinging under control but it's a relief to find a forum with others in similar (and in the case of Michael, worse) situations. While I appreciate that the DFA is under massive strain at the moment due to Brexit, I think it's only natural that the impact on me and my life as I wait is foremost for me (Selfish, I know! :roll: ). I come to this forum to feel hopeful when another person updates their timeline to say they finally got their bloody piece of paper (laminated or otherwise!) and to commiserate with others who are in the same situation I am.

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:56 am

I think a lot of people are frustrated by the conflicting information given when they call.

I find this forum a huge help for information as this is the only place where people are in the same situation and understand about the waiting and it is great when others post they have had a reply but also it is a place to vent frustration when you don't. Anyways not going to get into any arguments. I appreciate they are busy and under pressure but also think that they do need to be a little more consistent with information and that if applications are taking a year or more then the website should be updated and not state 6 months as it does now. This is not a dig by the way.

Anyways... Micheal have you heard anything yet? I do hope so.

We really need some positive posts on here again.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu May 02, 2019 10:25 am

Barry0131 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:15 am
I really don't see what BrexitEscapee is on about when he talks about politics. He's the only one bringing politics and newspapers up.
It's understandable for people to see Sulla as the victim here, because that's what he intended when he started this thread. He was hardly being subtle when he chose to post a link to the last acrimonious page of the now-closed FBR thread, innocently claiming this was purely so it could be used 'as a resource.' However, if you have the time to plough through the previous FBR thread, a very different picture emerges: the thread had been running for well over two years with people restricting themselves to factual information and advice. Members like myself, and particularly PasadenaTom, were sharing our experiences and passing on information long before Sulla joined and were doing so without bringing politics into it. But then Sulla dropped this on the forum:
Sulla wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:07 am
The image of the overburdened, underpaid, toiling civil servant fails to resonate with me. In EU nations, it's far more like a job for life with good working conditions, decent salary and comfortable pension scheme. In order to sustain this and other frivolities, the tax burden across most of the western world is oppressive. I had to leave the UK and change my domicile and tax residence first to St. Kitts and then Malaysia in order to escape this.
The British use the term 'Daily Mail' as short-hand for describing this type of right-wing view. (Ironically, it's the very same political mantra which has led to Brexit.) He then followed this up with more of the same, informing us all that he admired the right-wing US 'Tea Party.' Sulla is entitled to hold whatever political views he wants, but he can't have his cake and eat it - if he wants to preach politics on this forum, it's going to lead to a debate. In order to feign innocence, Sulla has been obsessively copying/pasting advice in this thread. And this is clearly having some success - when I pick up on his little political snipes, he gladly takes on the role of martyr.
Sulla wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:45 am
That extends to those who hold me in low regard or have views opposed to my own. Neither objective will be served by a protracted argument.

Therefore, I implore you and any others who might feel the urge to refute each other to restrain yourselves.
Come down off that cross, mate - we need the wood.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu May 02, 2019 10:29 am

Barry0131 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:15 am
I really don't see what BrexitEscapee is on about when he talks about politics. He's the only one bringing politics and newspapers up.
It's understandable for people to see Sulla as the victim here, because that's what he intended when he started this thread. He was hardly being subtle when he chose to post a link to the last acrimonious page of the now-closed FBR thread, innocently claiming this was purely so it could be used 'as a resource.' However, if you have the time to plough through the previous FBR thread, a very different picture emerges: the thread had been running for well over two years with people restricting themselves to factual information and advice. Members like myself, and particularly PasadenaTom, were sharing our experiences and passing on information long before Sulla joined and were doing so without bringing politics into it. But then Sulla dropped this on the forum:
Sulla wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:52 pm
The image of the overburdened, underpaid, toiling civil servant fails to resonate with me. In EU nations, it's far more like a job for life with good working conditions, decent salary and comfortable pension scheme. In order to sustain this and other frivolities, the tax burden across most of the western world is oppressive. I had to leave the UK and change my domicile and tax residence first to St. Kitts and then Malaysia in order to escape this.
The British use the term 'Daily Mail' as short-hand for describing this type of right-wing view. (Ironically, it's the very same political mantra which has led to Brexit.) He then followed this up with more of the same, informing us all that he admired the right-wing US 'Tea Party.' Sulla is entitled to hold whatever political views he wants, but he can't have his cake and eat it - if he wants to preach politics on this forum, it's going to lead to a debate. In order to feign innocence, Sulla has been obsessively copying/pasting advice in this thread. And this is clearly having some success - when I pick up on his little political snipes, he gladly takes on the role of martyr.
Sulla wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:45 am
That extends to those who hold me in low regard or have views opposed to my own. Neither objective will be served by a protracted argument.

Therefore, I implore you and any others who might feel the urge to refute each other to restrain yourselves.
Come down off that cross, mate - we need the wood.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:32 am

This topic will be locked for a period of 24 hours to give EVERYONE a chance to clam down and give a think to what is being posted, what members are actually saying, how it is viewed/taken by other members, why certain members insist on taking the SECOND FBR topic OFF TOPIC and also please remember that this is a very public forum, not some private 'group chat'!!!

Topic will be unlocked at 10:30am UK time tomorrow while certain posts in this topic and the previous locked topic are reviewed.

If anyone attempts to start another FBR topic, it will be removed.

Apologies to all the members who post responsibly with updates.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:47 am

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Quondam
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Quondam » Fri May 03, 2019 11:27 am

I applied for FBR in December through the New Zealand Irish consulate, they informed me that my application is processed in New Zealand and only sent to Ireland for printing but the processing time as of January is still the advised 6 to 12 months.
After reading the forums it seems everyone’s application is sent directly to Ireland, does anyone know if there are exceptions to this? Just trying to get some clarity about where my application is.
Also are the change of requirements for the application applied to older applications? I’ve supplied extra photos without being prompted to, but do not have the same witness for all documents, and they also only have copies not originals.
Any information would be great, it’s comforting to know others are on a similar journey.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri May 03, 2019 11:57 am

Quondam wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:27 am
I applied for FBR in December through the New Zealand Irish consulate, they informed me that my application is processed in New Zealand and only sent to Ireland for printing but the processing time as of January is still the advised 6 to 12 months.
After reading the forums it seems everyone’s application is sent directly to Ireland, does anyone know if there are exceptions to this? Just trying to get some clarity about where my application is.
Also are the change of requirements for the application applied to older applications? I’ve supplied extra photos without being prompted to, but do not have the same witness for all documents, and they also only have copies not originals.
The DFA has different protocols in place in each nation, dictating whether FBR applications are sent direct to Dublin, or processed via the missions in country and then sent to Dublin for final approval / printing. Applicants from the U.S, Canada, the U.K, and Australia all seem to be on the direct pathway now. I applied from China and certainly had to go through the embassy - so that is not unusual or concerning. What is important is that you followed the procedure that was in place at the time you applied - even if it altered later. For FBR, the address that applications should be submitted to is indicated on the application form itself. As long as you posted it there, then it will be fine.

With photos, the same principle applies. If you were asked for two, then two will suffice. Later changes to requirements will not impact you. I applied with two photos in August 2018 and I believe that regulation increasing the requirement to four photos took effect around December 2018. I experienced no issues.

I am not sure what you mean by saying you do not have the same witness for all documents. The application form witness and the person who signs the back of the photos should be the same. If you mean your photo ID copy (passport / Drivers licence) this could either be signed by your witness or certified by a notary public / solicitor. This has been mentioned in the old thread.

Copies are fine as long as they are certified copies of the certificates etc that you provide. Simple photocopies (without certification) will not be accepted. Certified copies of BDM certificates can be obtained from the national records office in your jurisdiction or in the UK / Ireland as required. These official copies count as originals and will be accepted. As for proofs of address, those should be original documents. Photo ID for any other living persons (for instance your mother's passport) should be given in the form of a notarized copy. Only your own ID copy may be signed by your witness and obviate official notarization. Please note, this last point seems to be DFA practice, but officially your ID should also be notarized. Never send your original passport to the FBR section. Someone did that on page one of this thread and he is not likely to see his passport again for a very long time.

If the FBR team require more documents because some are missing or the copies you submitted were not certified, then they will contact you and give you the opportunity to send in new documents. I think the timescale for that is within 28 days of their request.

Current processing times vary. Mine was done in 7.5 months. Others are being quoted 13. It is not a good situation at present.

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:58 am

I had to send mine to the local embassy - that was in February of this year.

I actually need to email them again as I have not had a response for my request of confirmation of receipt, so like you I do not know if my application/documents are still with the embassy or if they are now in Ireland.

I think that it depends on where you are based as to whether you send directly to Ireland or if you send via an embassy.

When did you start your FBR journey?

I don't know exactly when the requirements changed but as far as I am aware from other peoples posts who applied a number of months ago before the requirements changed, there were not asked to send anything else as it changed after they sent their applications and that was the requirements at the time they sent them. When you say you sent copies - what do you mean? I believe that all documents need to be originals.

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:05 pm

Jaxx22 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:58 am
When you say you sent copies - what do you mean? I believe that all documents need to be originals.
That is apart from the passport, other documents should be originals or copies obtained from GRO (sorry I think of those as originals too) but not photocopies I believe - I could be wrong and someone please correct me if so.

I wonder if the person who did actually send their actual passport managed to change it for a copy? Are they still posting?

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri May 03, 2019 12:11 pm

Jaxx

That's Lee. I believe he asked you questions a couple of pages back about your father being an Irishman and you replied he was born on a military base? He seems to be still around.

ricky7384
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ricky7384 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:22 pm

Spoke to DFA on the phone yesterday they informed me that I'm now an Irish citizen. They said my certificate will be printed and arrive within a few weeks.

Application received: 6th July 2018
Application sent for final approval: 21st November 2018
Told I'm Irish citizen over phone :2nd May 2019 (almost 10 months)
Received certificate and documents:TBD

I will update when certificate arrives.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri May 03, 2019 12:27 pm

ricky7384 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:22 pm
Spoke to DFA on the phone yesterday they informed me that I'm now an Irish citizen. They said my certificate will be printed and arrive within a few weeks.
Congratulations. They seem to be more on top of the printing these days. A few weeks wait for it to be printed and delivered sure beats the 4 months I endured. Did they give any reason why they did not send you a congratulations E-Mail? According to what people are being told, that is part of the standard procedure now and everyone should be notified by E-mail when they make it onto the register.

Since you were a July applicant, that's positive news for everyone who applied around then. Some signs of progress.

rothko
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rothko » Fri May 03, 2019 12:57 pm

Hello all! Only found this board/topic after submitting my application. Thought I'd jump into the fray with my timeline to date:

Application submitted online: 25-Apr-19
Application and supporting documents witnessed: 26-Apr-19
Application posted from London to DFA in Dublin: 29-Apr-19
Application confirmed received by DFA via email: 02-May-19

From what I've read so far, four days between sending everything off and receiving a receipt email isn't bad but I won't be counting any chickens just yet. Now the waiting game begins I suppose, but for whatever reason I remain optimistic that it should progress within 2019.

On another note: mine's a grandparent application- don't know if anyone has noticed any differences between parental/grandparent application timelines or not?

And a final point: did anyone else find the application process itself to be something of an emotional rollercoaster? I figured most of it out on my own without realising there was a board out there like this that would help, and there were moments where I thought it might all go wrong (e.g. 'did this person ever renounce their citizenship' etc etc.). Either way: phew, it's done.

Hol292
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Hol292 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:03 pm

ricky7384 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:22 pm

Application received: 6th July 2018
Application sent for final approval: 21st November 2018
Told I'm Irish citizen over phone :2nd May 2019 (almost 10 months)
Received certificate and documents:TBD

I will update when certificate arrives.

Fantastic news! Did you submit your application via the London embassy?

Hopefully this means my August application isn’t too far behind. Interesting that they confirmed this over the phone. Many people have been told they don’t have any info and you just have to wait 12 months.

Mori68
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Mori68 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:08 pm

Ok. Now I’m confused.

I’ve just received an Irish Passport application form. It was unsolicited.

I haven’t had any confirmation of being entered into the FBR, either by post or email.

What does this mean? Am I now a citizen?

Can I go ahead and complete the application form (it’s an APS2E form, with a unique 11 digit identifier)?