ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IGS/ Post study work visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ci07jjs

IGS/ Post study work visa

Post by ci07jjs » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:36 pm

Hello,

I have a doubt which I would like to clarify.

I am currently on a student visa and I have been offered a job to start in 2nd week of september and my results for my masters are not due till end of october, at which point I will be eligible to apply for IGS/PSW. I was wondering if it would be ok start work from the 2 week of september before I apply for IGS/PSW?

Many thanks

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:08 pm

any replies please?

iceman010899

Post by iceman010899 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:47 pm

Hi,

That would not be wise. Working in a fulltime job in a student visa in not allowed. Wait for the results and apply for the IGS.

If you do start work then your IGS could be refused as you've broken the conditions of the student visa.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:09 am

Personally, it wouldn't be worth taking the risk. However, you can investigate whether this period can be argued as being part of your holidays and thus you can work full-time.

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:07 am

From
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/chapte ... 20thirteen:
The Rules state that only part-time or vacation work authorised by the Secretary of State is allowed. Students admitted to the UK on code 2 conditions are allowed to take up employment in the United Kingdom while studying without seeking either permission from their local Jobcentre Plus or obtaining a Work Permit, subject to the following conditions:

* they may not work more than 20 hours a week in term time except in the case of agreed work placements or internships (see Paragraph 12.14);
* they may not engage in business, self employment or the provision of services as a professional sports person or entertainer;
* they may not pursue a career by filling a permanent full time vacancy.

Students may work full-time during vacations and when their course has finished subject to their having extant leave to remain in the UK as a student.

Earnings from these sources may not be taken into account when assessing whether individual students can meet their expenses in the United Kingdom except where the requirements of Paragraph 12.14 are met.

It must be established that the prospect of obtaining employment is not the key reason for coming to the UK. In such cases, the applicant would fall for refusal.

Department for Education, Universities and Skills (DIUS) publishes a leaflet for international students and employers in the UK, which explains the rules on taking work in the UK. It is a guide and aims to answer frequently asked questions. Follow the link below to see this leaflet:

International Students Working in the UK: What You Need to Know

If the leaflet does not answer your questions, please contact Work Permits (UK) on +44 (0)114 259 4074 or visit their website at www.workpermits.gov.uk

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi,

As far my understanding I think I am allowed to work full-time as soon as my final draft of my dissertation is submitted. I am allowed to do this between 2-4 months according to the homeoffice.

However, what I don't understand is the following quote:
"pursue a career by filling a permanent full-time vacancy", what do they mean by that? I mean graduate roles are full-time permanent roles, can it be argued that the job is not permanent because it is inititally on probabation (which is within in the 4 months)?

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:00 pm

Any suggestions please?

paribus
United Kingdom

Post by paribus » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:13 pm

Check this link below.

http://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/internati ... rking.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What kind of work can I do?
As well as a restriction on the number of hours, there are also restrictions on the kind of work that you can do if you are in the UK as a student. You cannot engage in business, self employment or work as a professional sportsperson or entertainer.

You also cannot take up a permanent full-time career vacancy while you have student immigration status. This is important to understand if you are switching from student status into a working status, such as the International Graduates Scheme.

We have been advised by UKCISA that a 'full time permanent career vacancy' means a full time career job on a permanent contract. For example, if you studied Law and you start working in a solicitor's firm, you cannot work on a full time permanent contract while you have student permission. You can only work part time or on a temporary contract. However, if, for example, you studied Law and you start working in a supermarket, you can work full time on a permanent contract as this would not be considered a 'full time permanent career vacancy'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps

Also check the link below:

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/workin ... work_after

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can I work while I wait for a decision on my International Graduates Scheme application?
If you apply for the International Graduates Scheme before your immigration permission to be in the UK as a student expires, you can work full-time while you wait for the decision on your International Graduates Scheme application. You can carry on working full-time even after your student permission expires, if you are still waiting for the decision at that stage. But you must not:

engage in business, self-employment or provide services as a professional sportsperson or entertainer
pursue a career by filling a permanent full-time vacancy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also pay attention to the letter from HO referenced in the link:

Letter from the Home Office explaining the position.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/files/pdf/work ... ng_igs.pdf

All these should provide adequate clarification on full time and permanent career.
We burn the midnight oil seeking for PEO appointments and up again early to resume our all-important jobs to keep us in the country. We are Highly Skilled Immigrants - in every sense of the word!

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:03 pm

paribus wrote:Check this link below.

http://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/internati ... rking.html

What kind of work can I do?
As well as a restriction on the number of hours, there are also restrictions on the kind of work that you can do if you are in the UK as a student. You cannot engage in business, self employment or work as a professional sportsperson or entertainer.

You also cannot take up a permanent full-time career vacancy while you have student immigration status. This is important to understand if you are switching from student status into a working status, such as the International Graduates Scheme.

We have been advised by UKCISA that a 'full time permanent career vacancy' means a full time career job on a permanent contract. For example, if you studied Law and you start working in a solicitor's firm, you cannot work on a full time permanent contract while you have student permission. You can only work part time or on a temporary contract. However, if, for example, you studied Law and you start working in a supermarket, you can work full time on a permanent contract as this would not be considered a 'full time permanent career vacancy'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps

Also check the link below:

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/workin ... work_after

Can I work while I wait for a decision on my International Graduates Scheme application?
If you apply for the International Graduates Scheme before your immigration permission to be in the UK as a student expires, you can work full-time while you wait for the decision on your International Graduates Scheme application. You can carry on working full-time even after your student permission expires, if you are still waiting for the decision at that stage. But you must not:

engage in business, self-employment or provide services as a professional sportsperson or entertainer
pursue a career by filling a permanent full-time vacancy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also pay attention to the letter from HO referenced in the link:

Letter from the Home Office explaining the position.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/files/pdf/work ... ng_igs.pdf

All these should provide adequate clarification on full time and permanent career.
thanks for this.