ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jpauls
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jpauls » Fri May 03, 2019 2:14 pm

rothko wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:57 pm

On another note: mine's a grandparent application- don't know if anyone has noticed any differences between parental/grandparent application timelines or not?
FBR is only for grandparents/great-grandparents (if applicable) applications -- anyone with a parent born in Ireland is automatically a citizen and goes straight for the passport stage!

rothko
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rothko » Fri May 03, 2019 2:16 pm

jpauls wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:14 pm
rothko wrote:

On another note: mine's a grandparent application- don't know if anyone has noticed any differences between parental/grandparent application timelines or not?
FBR is only for grandparents/great-grandparents (if applicable) applications -- anyone with a parent born in Ireland is automatically a citizen and goes straight for the passport stage!
Ah I did wonder if that was possible or not! Better tell my mum then...!

nic123
Newly Registered
England

Post by nic123 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:26 pm

GOOD NEWS!!!

I received my FBR certificate yesterday but couldn't let you all know!

My timeline:
Application received London 25 June 2018
Sent additional docs 12 Nov 2018
Sent for approval 15th Nov 2018
Phoned couple of times for update latest 4th April 2019 told 12 months.
Added to FBR 8th April 2019
Cert printed 29th April 2019
Received in post 2nd May 2019
NO EMAIL received

Michael I do hope you get yours soon too!

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Fri May 03, 2019 2:30 pm

Mori68 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:08 pm
Can I go ahead and complete the application form (it’s an APS2E form, with a unique 11 digit identifier)?
You can fill it in, but you can't send it off without your FBR certificate. My FBR certificate arrived with a passport application form included, but I also got one posted to me separately because I'd requested it by filling out the short form on the dfa website - are you sure you haven't done this?

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Fri May 03, 2019 2:44 pm

nic123 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:26 pm
GOOD NEWS!!!

I received my FBR certificate yesterday but couldn't let you all know!
Nic123 & Ricky7384,
CONGRATULATIONS to you both on your FBR's!
It is nice to hear some good news for those of us waiting for approvals.

Best of Luck with your Passport Applications!

Mori68
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Mori68 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:03 pm

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:30 pm
Mori68 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:08 pm
Can I go ahead and complete the application form (it’s an APS2E form, with a unique 11 digit identifier)?
You can fill it in, but you can't send it off without your FBR certificate. My FBR certificate arrived with a passport application form included, but I also got one posted to me separately because I'd requested it by filling out the short form on the dfa website - are you sure you haven't done this?
I hadn’t requested it. I wonder if it means my citizenship is imminent???

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:09 pm

Jaxx22 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:05 pm
Jaxx22 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:58 am
When you say you sent copies - what do you mean? I believe that all documents need to be originals.
That is apart from the passport, other documents should be originals or copies obtained from GRO (sorry I think of those as originals too) but not photocopies I believe - I could be wrong and someone please correct me if so.

I wonder if the person who did actually send their actual passport managed to change it for a copy? Are they still posting?
Still here Jaxx and I'll probaly be on here for a long while yet ,
I tried to find out about my passport but no reply from the DFA foreign e-mail Is this the right e-mail ?

My status so far
Online application : 28/12/18
Documents received (IRE) : 06/02/19
Citizenship confirmation : ????
FBR printed : ????
FBR received : ????

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:32 pm

This is great news guys and gals

Glad to see some more people are getting theirs through from the June / July period last year!

As I mentioned, I went to Liverpool’s passport express last wednesday to hand in my passport application. It has now appeared in the DFA Passport tracker with an estimated issue date of the 25th May. If the timeline is to be believed it seems like a very worthwhile thing to do in taking it to Passport Express!

Good luck as always to everyone else 🤞🏼

Quondam
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Quondam » Fri May 03, 2019 8:18 pm

Thanks Sulla! Much appreciated, my witness signed the form and photos, the recent changes required the same person to witness the passport, but as you say “requirements at time of application” so this is a relief.
Up until last year the NZ consulate even printed the FBR, if only I had applied earlier, hindsight is a wonderful thing 😂
@ Jaxx, I gave them notarised copies of the documents, physically went to the consulate at time of application with the originals and copies, they checked them all and accepted them.

LittleMissTwins
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by LittleMissTwins » Fri May 03, 2019 9:53 pm

jpauls wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:14 pm
rothko wrote:
You can apply for the FBR through the grandparent route OR through a parent who is an Irish citizen, but was not born on the island of Ireland. I have applied on behalf of my children to enter them on the FBR and had to send in my own, 30 year old, FBR certificate. No lamination on that one.

Application sent to Dublin (Old Address) at end of October 2018
Online Application Submitted: 28-October-2018
Application Acknowledged as Received: 9-November-2018
Approval/Congratulations Email: Pending
FBR Certificate Received: Pending

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri May 03, 2019 11:59 pm

brawn401 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:32 pm

As I mentioned, I went to Liverpool’s passport express last Wednesday to hand in my passport application. It has now appeared in the DFA Passport tracker with an estimated issue date of the 25th May. If the timeline is to be believed it seems like a very worthwhile thing to do in taking it to Passport Express!
Brawn

I just checked mine now and it still says May 15th for the estimated issuance date. I would like to think that this system is more reliable than the timelines provided for FBR, but I would not be shocked to see a further delay. I will wait for the tracking bar to reach the end and then try webchat.

Upliam

Nice to see you here again. No update on your own situation? Like Michael, you were about a week behind me in terms of application date. It would be really satisfying to see you guys get your FBR's soon. It feels strikingly unfair that Sean, Spav and I got through far more swiftly, while Michael is being told 13 months. We all applied within a 3 week period. You would not expect such huge variation.

tomriddle2u
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by tomriddle2u » Sat May 04, 2019 7:43 pm

First-time poster here, so for your first time Irish Passport application even submitting it via Passport Express in that post office in Liverpool the turn around time will be a minimum of 65 working days, the extra payment for that "express service" is just a postal charge. This type of service is only beneficial when you're renewing your Irish Passport and not a first-time applicant.

Also Lee regarding your passport that you submitted with your FBR application, the best thing for you to do is call and request it back. I'm pretty sure those emails won't be looked at.

amcbamcb
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amcbamcb » Sat May 04, 2019 8:01 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:54 am
Today, 8 months.

Sulla, I aggree. I think the realistic stat would be 8 % or maybe even 88 weeks of waiting. Lol
Michael--My children are a couple of weeks ahead of you. FBR app received in Dublin on August 9th....still nothing :(...so we are almost at 9 months

rdslight
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rdslight » Sun May 05, 2019 7:24 am

ricky7384 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:22 pm
Spoke to DFA on the phone yesterday they informed me that I'm now an Irish citizen. They said my certificate will be printed and arrive within a few weeks.

Application received: 6th July 2018
Application sent for final approval: 21st November 2018
Told I'm Irish citizen over phone :2nd May 2019 (almost 10 months)
Received certificate and documents:TBD

I will update when certificate arrives.
Great news, not far behind and it confirms they are working through July.

Application received: 30th July 2018
Application sent for final approval: 5th December 2018
Congratulations email received: TBD

mac13
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by mac13 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:28 am

Quondam wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:27 am
I applied for FBR in December through the New Zealand Irish consulate, they informed me that my application is processed in New Zealand and only sent to Ireland for printing but the processing time as of January is still the advised 6 to 12 months.
After reading the forums it seems everyone’s application is sent directly to Ireland, does anyone know if there are exceptions to this? Just trying to get some clarity about where my application is.
Also are the change of requirements for the application applied to older applications? I’ve supplied extra photos without being prompted to, but do not have the same witness for all documents, and they also only have copies not originals.
Any information would be great, it’s comforting to know others are on a similar journey.
Hi all,
Quondam, I have also applied via the embassy in NZ and they contacted me to say the regulations had changed so had to resubmit a few things such as having my passport copy certified by the same person and not just a normal JP here, but they did hold onto my application rather than send it all back to me as they did initially when one of my documents needed further evidence providing with it. They also said 6-12 months in the email I received after they confirmed everything was processing, have you heard any further news from the embassy here recently? They didn't mention sending anything to Ireland so I am not sure how it works either sorry but good to know there is someone else in the same boat at the far end of the world here!

Application received: 15th March 19- requested further documents
Application confirmed processing via email: 23rd April 19
FBR confirmation: TBD

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sun May 05, 2019 12:10 pm

Having read Tomriddle's post above and checking the Embassy website in the UK, it does seem like using Passport Express from the UK is not viable for 1st time applicants - or it may just amount to a fast postal service rather than any form of real processing expedition. From previous reading of other's posts, I had formed the impression that the express service had worked out well for applicants from the UK. I guess the experience of Brawn and others will give us a definitive answer.

For passport processing times, (excluding delivery time) there is a bit of variation depending on where you apply from. I have put together (in no particular order) a selection of estimated processing times relevant to 1st time applicants abroad:

UK: 13 weeks minimum (65 working days)
China: 6-8 weeks (this used to be 6 when I applied, went up to 8 briefly and is now in a range)
Thailand: Not stated, but likely to be similar to or worse than Malaysia/Spain due to expat population.
Sweden: 6 weeks
Finland: 6 weeks
Switzerland: 6 weeks
Turkey: 5 weeks
USA : 8 weeks
New Zealand: 10-12 weeks
Australia: Not stated, but likely to be similar to NZ or Canada.
Canada: 12 weeks
Malta: 4-6 weeks
Singapore: 6-8 weeks
Malaysia: 6-8 weeks
India: 4-6 weeks
Spain: 8-9 weeks
South Africa: 8 weeks

So, it seems the Maltese and Indian applicants may be faring best, although potentially Turkey could also be quickest. Of course, whether actual processing times conform to these estimates is another matter. They are updated fairly regularly though.

Celtic1967
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Celtic1967 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 am

Sulla wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:10 pm
Having read Tomriddle's post above and checking the Embassy website in the UK, it does seem like using Passport Express from the UK is not viable for 1st time applicants - or it may just amount to a fast postal service rather than any form of real processing expedition. From previous reading of other's posts, I had formed the impression that the express service had worked out well for applicants from the UK. I guess the experience of Brawn and others will give us a definitive answer.

I used the Glasgow Passport Express Service, and I received my passport in around 15 working days following submitting my application.

I received my passport on 27th April, after only submitting my application in early April.

For passport processing times, (excluding delivery time) there is a bit of variation depending on where you apply from. I have put together (in no particular order) a selection of estimated processing times relevant to 1st time applicants abroad:

UK: 13 weeks minimum (65 working days)
China: 6-8 weeks (this used to be 6 when I applied, went up to 8 briefly and is now in a range)
Thailand: Not stated, but likely to be similar to or worse than Malaysia/Spain due to expat population.
Sweden: 6 weeks
Finland: 6 weeks
Switzerland: 6 weeks
Turkey: 5 weeks
USA : 8 weeks
New Zealand: 10-12 weeks
Australia: Not stated, but likely to be similar to NZ or Canada.
Canada: 12 weeks
Malta: 4-6 weeks
Singapore: 6-8 weeks
Malaysia: 6-8 weeks
India: 4-6 weeks
Spain: 8-9 weeks
South Africa: 8 weeks

So, it seems the Maltese and Indian applicants may be faring best, although potentially Turkey could also be quickest. Of course, whether actual processing times conform to these estimates is another matter. They are updated fairly regularly though.

Celtic1967
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Celtic1967 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:03 am

I used the Glasgow Passport Express Service, and I received my passport in around 15 working days following submitting my application.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Mon May 06, 2019 12:03 pm

Celtic1967 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:03 am
Thanks for clearing that up. That was my previous understanding of the situation. However, what TomRiddle had to say runs counter to that. I had no passport express service available to me in the location I used to apply and thus no direct experience of using it. The applicable DFA websites are unclear on this point. The UK embassy website does not specifically say that 1st time adult applicants can use the express service.The sites of other missions all definitely say that any form of expedition of 1st time adult applications is not possible.

Anyway, that is good news for everyone from the UK - as long as they are prepared to venture to Glasgow or Liverpool to submit. 15 working days is the time currently listed for passport express applications from the UK.

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:38 pm

tomriddle2u wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:43 pm
First-time poster here, so for your first time Irish Passport application even submitting it via Passport Express in that post office in Liverpool the turn around time will be a minimum of 65 working days, the extra payment for that "express service" is just a postal charge. This type of service is only beneficial when you're renewing your Irish Passport and not a first-time applicant.

Also Lee regarding your passport that you submitted with your FBR application, the best thing for you to do is call and request it back. I'm pretty sure those emails won't be looked at.
Tom
I will call the FBR soon, I wasn't sure to wait until the 4 month mark before contacting them but it will be the 13th week mark this Wednesday and can't hurt to try this week and your right about the emails, I sent an e-mail on March 23rd this year but still no reply.

tomriddle2u
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by tomriddle2u » Mon May 06, 2019 1:48 pm

Those emails are shut down you should defiantly call first thing Tuesday morning the lines would be open at 9 am, even after checking and seeing your original passport with the rest of your documents it would be kept hold of until the end of the application process unless you contact directly requesting it back via the phones.

tomriddle2u
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by tomriddle2u » Mon May 06, 2019 1:50 pm

I'm 100% sure as of the last few months, even if submitting at London counter or via passport express in Glasgow or Liverpool offices would be a min of 65 working days, and as it is coming into the summer months I would expect that to go outwards past 70 working days, priority is given to renewals as it considers most first time applicants from GB would have a UK Passport to travel on while waiting for the Irish Passport to be issued.

Celtic1967
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Celtic1967 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:12 pm

tomriddle2u wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:50 pm
I'm 100% sure as of the last few months, even if submitting at London counter or via passport express in Glasgow or Liverpool offices would be a min of 65 working days, and as it is coming into the summer months I would expect that to go outwards past 70 working days, priority is given to renewals as it considers most first time applicants from GB would have a UK Passport to travel on while waiting for the Irish Passport to be issued.
I submitted my passport application at the start of April via the Express Service in Glasgow.

I received my passport on the 18th working day following submission.

LesMalouinettes
Mood:
France

Post by LesMalouinettes » Mon May 06, 2019 10:48 pm

My Grandfather was born in Belfast, NI and I am claiming citizenship by descent. Is anyone in this situation like I am? I'm worried everything will have been for nothing. I was always under the impression that for the purposes of immigration and because of the Good Friday agreement, Eire was considered the one landmass and it didn't matter whether you were born in NI or the republic?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... 0XxnYprHd8

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Mon May 06, 2019 11:56 pm

LesMalouinettes wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:48 pm
My Grandfather was born in Belfast, NI and I am claiming citizenship by descent. Is anyone in this situation like I am? I'm worried everything will have been for nothing. I was always under the impression that for the purposes of immigration and because of the Good Friday agreement, Eire was considered the one landmass and it didn't matter whether you were born in NI or the republic?
As long as your grandfather was born on the island of Ireland prior to 2005 then there will not be a problem. For the purposes of the nationality law of the Republic of Ireland, the section of the island currently administered by the U.K. authorities (Northern Ireland), is considered to be a part of the island of Ireland. Therefore, it does not matter whether your grandfather was born in Belfast or Cork - as long as he was born there before 2005, then he was automatically Irish at birth.

In 2005, a new law was enacted in the Irish republic, which removed the right of automatic birthright citizenship. However, this law does not operate retroactively. It only applies to births which occurred in 2005 or later. They moved to a system (as many nations have and are) of granting citizenship based on parental citizenship and residence.