ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Contracting on tier2 visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rockstar19
Newly Registered
United States of America

Lost job in Tier 2

Post by rockstar19 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi all,

I lost my job while I am on tier 2 visa due to company budget issues. I know I have 60 days. I tried applying lot of job sites it seems its very difficult to get a job now. What are my chances of getting a job now? (Java and web development)

Any suggestions how can I proceed now. Some recruiter told me few contractors open their umbrella company do contracts. Anyone has any idea what is that? Is that legal.?

Any one has similar experience like this loosing job or switching employer. Any suggestions would be greatly helpful. I put lot of effort in getting this visa and I am very disappointed it ended like this. :(

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Lost job in Tier 2

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:01 pm

I know I have 60 days. I tried applying lot of job sites it seems its very difficult to get a job now. What are my chances of getting a job now? (Java and web development)
The 60 days starts from when HO sends the curtailment letter, which can take a while. It doesn't start from date you left your job. You don't say if you have this yet.
Any suggestions how can I proceed now.

Find a job with a sponsor on the HO approved sponsor list.
Some recruiter told me few contractors open their umbrella company do contracts. Anyone has any idea what is that? Is that legal.?
It is illegal and not permitted. You would be in breach of your visa conditions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Grenze
Mood:
Germany

Post by Grenze » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:17 pm

rockstar19 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:24 pm
Hi all,

I lost my job while I am on tier 2 visa due to company budget issues. I know I have 60 days. I tried applying lot of job sites it seems its very difficult to get a job now. What are my chances of getting a job now? (Java and web development)

Any suggestions how can I proceed now. Some recruiter told me few contractors open their umbrella company do contracts. Anyone has any idea what is that? Is that legal.?

Any one has similar experience like this loosing job or switching employer. Any suggestions would be greatly helpful. I put lot of effort in getting this visa and I am very disappointed it ended like this. :(
You have longer than 60 days. You have until the Home Office sends the curtailment letter, and from the date on the letter you have 60 days. I quit my job two months ago and still haven't gotten the letter. For Java development it shouldn't be hard for you to find a job. I also work in development and am from the states and haven't had issues finding employment here.

Here is the offical Home Office list of licensed sponsors. This sheet is updated daily. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rs-workers

rockstar19
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rockstar19 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:05 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:01 pm
I know I have 60 days. I tried applying lot of job sites it seems its very difficult to get a job now. What are my chances of getting a job now? (Java and web development)
The 60 days starts from when HO sends the curtailment letter, which can take a while. It doesn't start from date you left your job. You don't say if you have this yet.
Any suggestions how can I proceed now.

Find a job with a sponsor on the HO approved sponsor list.
Some recruiter told me few contractors open their umbrella company do contracts. Anyone has any idea what is that? Is that legal.?
It is illegal and not permitted. You would be in breach of your visa conditions.
Thanks for your response.

"You don't say if you have this yet" Can you please explain what does it mean.

My employer informed me that they are going inform UKVI that my last date would be two weeks from now. You have any idea if the letter sent by UKVI will have any specific date or is it just 60 days from the date I receive the letter which is bit ambiguous

Thanks for your help.

rockstar19
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rockstar19 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:09 pm

Grenze wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:17 pm
rockstar19 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:24 pm
Hi all,

You have longer than 60 days. You have until the Home Office sends the curtailment letter, and from the date on the letter you have 60 days. I quit my job two months ago and still haven't gotten the letter. For Java development it shouldn't be hard for you to find a job. I also work in development and am from the states and haven't had issues finding employment here.

Here is the offical Home Office list of licensed sponsors. This sheet is updated daily. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rs-workers
Honestly I tried in many job sites and I am getting lot of calls but none of them know clients who are ready to sponsor visa even the one mentioned in licensed sponsors document

Lets see how it goes .. Do you have any idea how can check the current address where UKVI is going to send letter

Thanks for your help

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:16 pm

"You don't say if you have this yet" Can you please explain what does it mean.
If you have not left your employment and received a curtailment letter from HO, then you have not started the 60 days yet.
My employer informed me that they are going inform UKVI that my last date would be two weeks from now. You have any idea if the letter sent by UKVI will have any specific date or is it just 60 days from the date I receive the letter which is bit ambiguous
Your employer only has to inform HO within 10 days AFTER your last date of employment. This will trigger the curtailment process. Only HO can curtail your visa, not your employer. The letter you get from HO will tell you what the new date of visa expiry is, which will be 60 days from date of letter.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rockstar19
Newly Registered
United States of America

Contracting on tier2 visa

Post by rockstar19 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi guys,

I know this question is asked many times on this forum. Today some company said they can offer me sponsorship and I will on their payroll and I will be working for different clients based on the requirement.

So technically I am working for the sponsored company . Then why people say its illegal.

And many big consultancies work the same way when it comes to visas. If its legal there why its not legal here.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Contracting on tier2 visa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:48 pm

Is the company on the HO approved sponsor list?

Is there a fee payable to them by you to issue you a CoS?

Is it a fixed monthly salary in line with the SOC or a day rate you potentially invoice them for?

What is the potential SOC they would offer?

Do you have to also find your own additional Contracts?

Will they charge you a percentage of your monthly salary as a fee/commission?

Will any of the work be based at their offices?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

rockstar19
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rockstar19 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:05 pm

Thanks for your response...

Is the company on the HO approved sponsor list? YES

Is there a fee payable to them by you to issue you a CoS? NO

What is the potential SOC they would offer? 2136

Do you have to also find your own additional Contracts? This is where it seems bit tricky. They say they will get internal opportunities but I can find contracts outside and then they will talk to these clients and set up some form of arrangement

Is it a fixed monthly salary in line with the SOC or a day rate you potentially invoice them for? Fixed Monthly rate and again if its a contract i need to make sure its more than certain amount to be inline with SOC

Will they charge you a percentage of your monthly salary as a fee/commission? if its a contract they will charge 20%

Will any of the work be based at their offices? Have to check with them

Thanks again for helping me out :-)

rockstar19
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rockstar19 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:17 am

Can any one please let me know if my above scenario is legal..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:34 am

Do you have to also find your own additional Contracts? This is where it seems bit tricky. They say they will get internal opportunities but I can find contracts outside and then they will talk to these clients and set up some form of arrangement
So you will be 'contracting' under some form of 'arrangement'??
Is it a fixed monthly salary in line with the SOC or a day rate you potentially invoice them for? Fixed Monthly rate and again if its a contract i need to make sure its more than certain amount to be inline with SOC

What 'certain amount'?? This appears to be very different to the 20 hours supplementary work you are allowed to do on Tier 2.
Will they charge you a percentage of your monthly salary as a fee/commission? if its a contract they will charge 20%
A genuine sponsor does work like this or do this. This appears to be 'contracting under an umbrella company'. Did you approach this company for a job/sponsorship or did they contact you out of the blue???
Char (CR001 not Casa)

rockstar19
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rockstar19 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:37 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:34 am
So you will be 'contracting' under some form of 'arrangement'??

Lets say I am contracting. And I found my own contract. If I am on payroll of sponsored company and sponsored company gets money from client. Is this ok..?
What 'certain amount'?? This appears to be very different to the 20 hours supplementary work you are allowed to do on Tier 2.

I mean if I found a contract that pays less than minimum salary requirement of SOC, that will create a problem as my company need to pay from their pocket. So I should be earning more than that amount.
A genuine sponsor does work like this or do this. This appears to be 'contracting under an umbrella company'. Did you approach this company for a job/sponsorship or did they contact you out of the blue???
As I lost my job, I am trying all the possible alternatives.I approached them.

Sad part is I got permanent position in a company and it seems their COS expired two weeks back. They applied for fresh unrestricted cos at that time and they didn't do it on Priority. So it seems it will take around 3 months to get these. Also there seems to be no option to change it back to priority. Have any idea on this..

Anyway thanks for all your help during this time...

rockstar19
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rockstar19 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:52 pm

Any response/suggestions on the last question about COS will be really helpful..

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:18 am

rockstar19 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:05 pm
Thanks for your response...

Is the company on the HO approved sponsor list? YES

Is there a fee payable to them by you to issue you a CoS? NO

What is the potential SOC they would offer? 2136

Will any of the work be based at their offices? Have to check with them

Thanks again for helping me out :-)
This is the type of Sponsor that the Home Office is attempting to shut down on a daily basis. It is a totally illegal set up used to supply third party workers

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:20 am

rockstar19 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:52 pm
Any response/suggestions on the last question about COS will be really helpful..
I am afraid it can take upto 18 weeks for additional in year COS to be issued to a Sponsor. I would pay the Prority fee and get it in a matter of days. Less stress and you are assured to have it in a fixed timescale.

rockstar19
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rockstar19 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:01 am

Frontier Mole wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:20 am
rockstar19 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:52 pm
I am afraid it can take upto 18 weeks for additional in year COS to be issued to a Sponsor. I would pay the Prority fee and get it in a matter of days. Less stress and you are assured to have it in a fixed timescale.
Thanks for your reply. But do you if its possible to change this COS allocation back to priority or request new COS in priority as the employer is saying its not possible to change it now

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:54 am

Never known the Home Office to refuse money 😂
A second priority application can be made.

rockstar19
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rockstar19 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:04 pm

Hi All,

After I lost my job, My employer informed my last as April 2nd. I still didn't receive any visa curtailment letter.

I updated my address as well before my employment terminated.

Is there any chance that letter delivered to my old address if so what can I do

How can I be sure about my last date here in UK. Can I mail to any UKVI mail id..?

I need to plan lot of things if I had to leave and I am not sure what to do as still I didn't find any job here.

Any suggestions will really help
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:27 pm

It can take a few weeks to send a curtailment letter. It is not immediate once your employer notifies HO once you have left the job.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

rockstar19
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rockstar19 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:42 am

Hi all,

I am thinking about contacting UKVI on my visa curtailment letter as its been a month.

Does anyone have any email or phone number to contact them.

The one i found on website not working.

Thanks