ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling with Dual Nationality - Question

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lord.belmont
Newly Registered

Travelling with Dual Nationality - Question

Post by lord.belmont » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:20 pm

I have dual nationality with a South African & a New Zealand passport. I have recently arrived in UK for a holiday, on my New Zealand passport.

I would like to apply for an Irish working holiday visa on my New Zealand passport which means sending the passport away. This process should take up to 4 weeks. During this time I would like to go to Ireland to start looking for work and travelling around.

Can I leave the UK on my South African passport to go to Ireland?

Once my New Zealand passport & Irish visa comes back, I will leave Ireland on my South African passport & return on my New Zealand one.

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: Travelling with Dual Nationality - Question

Post by Ben » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:55 pm

lord.belmont wrote:Can I leave the UK on my South African passport to go to Ireland?
I don't see why not, South African citizens don't need a visa for Ireland. So long as you've a return ticket out of Ireland and enough money to support yourself during your stay, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't let you in. By the way, the UK doesn't monitor people leaving the country (especially those traveling to Ireland), so it doesn't matter if you leave the UK while holding your SA passport.
lord.belmont wrote:Once my New Zealand passport & Irish visa comes back, I will leave Ireland on my South African passport & return on my New Zealand one.
Again, I can't see a problem with this.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:39 pm

lord.belmont wrote:I have dual nationality with a South African & a New Zealand passport. I have recently arrived in UK for a holiday, on my New Zealand passport.

I would like to apply for an Irish working holiday visa on my New Zealand passport which means sending the passport away. This process should take up to 4 weeks. During this time I would like to go to Ireland to start looking for work and travelling around.

Can I leave the UK on my South African passport to go to Ireland?

Once my New Zealand passport & Irish visa comes back, I will leave Ireland on my South African passport & return on my New Zealand one.
if you dont want to explain yourself that how come your south african passport doesnt have an entry stamp from uk when you fly over to ireland. you prolly know that the home office stamp everyone when they enter the country. bring some proof that you applying for the work holiday maker visa. otherwise, they might start to ask question about this. it might save you whole lot of explanation to the idiotic irish immigration officer.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:29 pm

mktsoi wrote:if you dont want to explain yourself that how come your south african passport doesnt have an entry stamp from uk when you fly over to ireland. you prolly know that the home office stamp everyone when they enter the country.
But why should this be a problem? If I were the OP, I'd answer this by telling the truth, "I am also a citizen of New Zealand and I used my NZ passport to enter the UK. However, I choose to enter the ROI using my South African passport". There's no law against that (at least, not as far as I know). So long as the OP has a return ticket out of Ireland, and enough funds to support himself during his visit, there should be no reason to refuse his entry into the country.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:37 pm

benifa wrote:
mktsoi wrote:if you dont want to explain yourself that how come your south african passport doesnt have an entry stamp from uk when you fly over to ireland. you prolly know that the home office stamp everyone when they enter the country.
But why should this be a problem? If I were the OP, I'd answer this by telling the truth, "I am also a citizen of New Zealand and I used my NZ passport to enter the UK. However, I choose to enter the ROI using my South African passport". There's no law against that (at least, not as far as I know). So long as the OP has a return ticket out of Ireland, and enough funds to support himself during his visit, there should be no reason to refuse his entry into the country.
it is not really a problem at all, but if you lived in ireland, you know how the immigration guys are like in the airport! the passport i have allowed me to enter ireland without a visa for 6 months. back in 2003. i went to edinburgh for a weekend and i flied back into dublin. i already got the permission to remain in my passport and it was still valid for another 7 months before it expired. i got stopped in the passport control. the immigration officer checked my passport and asked me where is my visa. even tho my passport allows me to enter ireland with visa free entry for 6 months. i was just suggesting the guy to bring some stuff to prove it. believe it or not. if he or she is white, it might be ok to talk their way throuhgt it, but think about that person is non white! i am not saying all the immigration officers are race in ireland but shit happened sometime! it is better to bring some proof instead of stuck and argue with those idiots in the immigration counter. thats what i mean

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:16 pm

I think you are supposed to be resident in New Zealand when applying for the Irish working holiday visa (Australians differ), but I've heard of people sending passports home and using an NZ address (this was the case when I was applying at least). Just keep this in mind.