ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA (FM) or EU settlement scheme for Non-EU spouse of Irish national

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jaigirds
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

EEA (FM) or EU settlement scheme for Non-EU spouse of Irish national

Post by jaigirds » Thu May 16, 2019 7:17 am

Hello everyone,

My wife (non-EU national) has been living and working in the UK for 2years 5months on a Tier 2 visa holding a BRP. I am an Irish national (living in UK for 5years 8months) and we recently got married (8 months ago). She now wishes to change her visa status and apply for other jobs. Ideally, we want to apply for the quickest route possible as this will allow her to change jobs asap. My questions are:

1. Should she apply for EEA (FM) or for pre-settled status under the EU settlement scheme?
2. Should I also apply for EU settlement scheme, despite being an irish national and not needing it to aid her application?
3. Do we have any other options that I am unaware of?

Thanks!

secret.simon

Re: EEA (FM) or EU settlement scheme for Non-EU spouse of Irish national

Post by secret.simon » Thu May 16, 2019 7:34 am

Are you an Irish citizen by relationship with the Republic of Ireland or with Northern Ireland? That can have a material difference on your options.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

jaigirds
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jaigirds » Thu May 16, 2019 7:43 am

I am an Irish citizen by relationship with the Republic of Ireland. I have never resided in NI or hold any relationship with NI. I.E. I am not eligible for dual Irish/British citizenship (I presume this is what you are referring to).

jaigirds
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jaigirds » Thu May 16, 2019 8:08 pm

Just a follow up question on this. Since I'm an Irish national and automatically have "settled status" do I need to provide residence information for my wife's settled status application?