ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for naturalisation before or after getting married?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Lily55
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Apply for naturalisation before or after getting married?

Post by Lily55 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:21 am

Hi, I’m confused about what I should do for my citizenship application in this kind of weird situation and I couldn’t find any example to follow. So anyone please help me out and give me some advices. Thank you.

I have been holding my ILR for nearly 12 months and thinking to apply for naturalisation soon. The thing is I am going to get married about 6 months later with a BC. Thinking of changing another passport after getting married (because of changing into husband’s surname), is it will be better to apply for my citizenship after the wedding?? My original idea was thinking to use British citizen to get married without paying foreigner fee, but if I have to pay twice for applying passport, is it even worse??

I really don’t know what is better way to deal with this situation. Hope someone can advise me then. Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Apply for naturalisation before or after getting married?

Post by CR001 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:13 am

What do you mean by "paying foreigner fee"??

If you apply after marriage, you will have to change your name in your home country passport before you apply for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Lily55
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Apply for naturalisation before or after getting married?

Post by Lily55 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:35 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:13 am
What do you mean by "paying foreigner fee"??

If you apply after marriage, you will have to change your name in your home country passport before you apply for citizenship.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

When I did some research online, I found out that if you hold other nationality to get married in UK then you have to pay extra fee for registration and also might take longer for going through the notice of marriage.

You did mention a very good point... I will have to change my home country passport before applying for citizenship. I will consider it more properly then. Thank you again.