ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Spouse visa for Japanese wife in Japan

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wagawama
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

UK Spouse visa for Japanese wife in Japan

Post by wagawama » Sat May 18, 2019 11:45 pm

Hi all,

My wife (Japanese, in Japan) and I (British citizen) are about to apply for a family/spouse visa and have a few questions.

- I seen mention of 'proof of maintenance' - what is this, beyond satisfying the appropriate financial and housing requirement?

- I very recently purchased (via a mortgage) a house for my spouse and I to live in (no others). I have a letter the mortgage provider sent me showing the funds being sent during the purchasing process, and how much and when my first mortgage payment would come out - I don't have any 'statement' as of yet though. What type of evidence can I use to meet the accommodation requirement?

- I believe I need to write a signed letter stating that I am the only occupant of my household and that I give permission for my spouse to live with me when she comes to the UK - do I need to say anything beyond that? I can't seem to find info on this bit.

- My wife is a Japanese citizen, and from what I can gather, they have a 'Family register' in in lieu of a 'birth certificate'. I believe it it this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koseki - would a translation of this into English suffice for proving she a Japanese citizen/has a right to apply from Japan?

- I have a physical copy of all my payslips from the past 6 months, except for one of them - I plan on getting a letter from my employer as per https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/proof-income - would it be more straightforward to me to get them to issue printed digital copies that they can also state are genuine for all 6 months, or to get them to do that for one (the missing one) and send the other 5 originals?

- Should I send P60 also? My income from the last financial year is peculiar in that I was on a career break in up until September, so my tax was zero for a number of months whilst my tax-free allowance was filled up. Should I send another separate letter (to the accommodation one) explaining this?

- Is there a list of 'approved' translation companies in Japan that we can use, or is it okay to use one that can stamp/sign and provider a letter stating the documents they translated were original/genuine etc?

- Does a separate 'covering letter' need to be included? By sponsor only, or applicants/spouse also?

- HSBC offer an online service to print out statements - it's got a beginning and end date - does anyone know if they provide just a single statement for that period, or if they included each monthly statement? Would it matter?

- The Tokyo VFS centre offer a scanning service - would this mean she wouldn't need to send any documents to Sheffield?

- Do I need to send all my supporting documents to her for her VFS appointment?

Sorry for the mountain of questions, and thanks for your assistance!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: UK Spouse visa for Japanese wife in Japan

Post by seagul » Sat May 18, 2019 11:55 pm

1. Not for you if are not on public benefits but earning at least £18600
2.Mortgage statement, title deeds and council tax
3.yes
4.Birth certificate is not needed rather only her passport & English translated marriage certificate
5. 6th month payslip you can get it signed & stamped from your employer. You will also need employer letter too.
6.Dont send P60
7. No. But preferably use government body/institute e.g passport/id issuing authority.
8. Not mandatory
9. Online bank statement must be stamped by the relevant bank and must cover the last 6 months especially the payslips credits.
10. Maybe but reconfirm again from them.
11.Ask the centre
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

wagawama
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by wagawama » Sun May 19, 2019 12:14 am

seagul wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:55 pm
1. Not for you if are not on public benefits but earning at least £18600
2.Mortgage statement, title deeds and council tax
3.yes
4.Birth certificate is not needed rather only her passport & English translated marriage certificate
5. 6th month payslip you can get it signed & stamped from your employer. You will also need employer letter too.
6.Dont send P60
7. No. But preferably use government body/institute e.g passport/id issuing authority.
8. Not mandatory
9. Online bank statement must be stamped by the relevant bank and must cover the last 6 months especially the payslips credits.
10. Maybe but reconfirm again from them.
11.Ask the centre
Thank you, and thank you for being so quick!

3. 'Yes' to I need to write a letter? Anywhere I can find out what I need to say in the letter?
5. Thanks, I'll get the employer to issue the letter and and copies of payslips. I don't think they will stamp, will signed + on headed paper be okay?
7. I don't believe the issuing authority of our marriage certificate offer translation services, nor do Japanese government agencies.

One additional question:

"details of any previous immigration applications you’ve made" - is this in relation to UK immigration applications, or anywhere? My spouse made a successful student visa application to Australia a number of years ago that is show in her previous passport.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sun May 19, 2019 5:47 am

wagawama wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:14 am

7. I don't believe the issuing authority of our marriage certificate offer translation services, nor do Japanese government agencies.
Then why not you get it translated from home office partner UKVCAS steria sopra .

https://www.ukvcas.co.uk/additional-services/detail
wagawama wrote:

One additional question:

"details of any previous immigration applications you’ve made" - is this in relation to UK immigration applications, or anywhere? My spouse made a successful student visa application to Australia a number of years ago that is show in her previous passport.

Application forms usually ask about previous immigration applications and visas to any country including UK.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

wagawama
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by wagawama » Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 pm

seagul wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:47 am
wagawama wrote:

Then why not you get it translated from home office partner UKVCAS steria sopra .

Application forms usually ask about previous immigration applications and visas to any country including UK.
Thanks for the steria sopra link - they link to blsinternational.net who have quoted £75 for a single page, and do it from a scan. They say it's home office approved, but I had read somewhere they needed to make it from a physical copy so they can verify it is authentic?

For the sign-up process on visa4uk, they want a Date of Intended Travel - does anyone know how strict they are around this, and the timelines for when a visa must be 'activated' in the UK following it being issued? Our estimated timeline:

- Submit application 1st week in June
- 12 weeks estimated time from then is beginning of September
- I will be travelling to Japan in 1st week October and my wife may return with me, but she may need to finish some business before she leaves

Our best guess is it will be around beginning of October - what if it runs over?

Thanks again for all your help!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue May 21, 2019 9:52 pm

wagawama wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 pm
seagul wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:47 am
wagawama wrote:

Thanks for the steria sopra link - they link to blsinternational.net who have quoted £75 for a single page, and do it from a scan. They say it's home office approved, but I had read somewhere they needed to make it from a physical copy so they can verify it is authentic?

For the sign-up process on visa4uk, they want a Date of Intended Travel - does anyone know how strict they are around this, and the timelines for when a visa must be 'activated' in the UK following it being issued? Our estimated timeline:

- Submit application 1st week in June
- 12 weeks estimated time from then is beginning of September
- I will be travelling to Japan in 1st week October and my wife may return with me, but she may need to finish some business before she leaves

Our best guess is it will be around beginning of October - what if it runs over?

Thanks again for all your help!
You can search for another cheaper but reasonably renowned translator either in UK or Japan as there is no list. A lot of times caseworker don't consider the intended date of travel so preferably don't finalize your travel plan if possible. Also be remember that caseworker usually call to sponsor & his employer during the process of visa and that's why traveling outside of UK if possible then should be postponed.

wagawama
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by wagawama » Wed May 22, 2019 9:06 pm

[quote=seagul post_id=1783354 time=1558471949 user_id=134400

You can search for another cheaper but reasonably renowned translator either in UK or Japan as there is no list. A lot of times caseworker don't consider the intended date of travel so preferably don't finalize your travel plan if possible. Also be remember that caseworker usually call to sponsor & his employer during the process of visa and that's why traveling outside of UK if possible then should be postponed.
[/quote]

Thanks! We don't want to finalize travel until we have the visa in hand - we will book a slight ASAP to the UK then. Call to me or employer is both fine, thanks for the heads up.

Another question: about visa4uk/VFS - when we register on visa4uk, we fill out the application form. When do we book an appointment, and is the appointment through visa4uk or through VFS?

The Tokyo VFS office has very limited opening hours - do you get to pick a slot, or is just assigned usually?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Wed May 22, 2019 9:23 pm

wagawama wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:06 pm
seagul wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:52 pm

Thanks! We don't want to finalize travel until we have the visa in hand - we will book a slight ASAP to the UK then. Call to me or employer is both fine, thanks for the heads up.

Another question: about visa4uk/VFS - when we register on visa4uk, we fill out the application form. When do we book an appointment, and is the appointment through visa4uk or through VFS?

The Tokyo VFS office has very limited opening hours - do you get to pick a slot, or is just assigned usually?
From abroad usually the biometrics appointment have to be booked once you filled & submitted the form. Normally biometric appointments can be booked in another centre/city if you don't get at your local centre/city.