ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to Germany with EU-Settlement Scheme Residence Card only (with out Schengen Visa)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

orase88
Newly Registered
Thailand

Travelling to Germany with EU-Settlement Scheme Residence Card only (with out Schengen Visa)

Post by orase88 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi All,

I'm a non-EU (Thai) holding a EU-Settlement Scheme Residence Card (Pre-settled).

I want to fly to Germany with my husband who is a German Citizen. I found this link from German Embassy London.

https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/visa/do-you-need-a-visa

Under this clause: a spouse (married/civil partnership) or child of an EU/EEA/EFTA national must hold one of the following British visas that say explicitly: “Residence Card of a Family Member of an EU Citizen” OR “Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National” OR “Permanent Residence Card” - and must travel with the EU/EEA/EFTA national. Please compare displayed samples (view here) carefully; If you intend to travel on your own you must apply for a regular visitor, business or tourist visa. Regular visa fees will apply. Click here for more information on visa fees.

Does the EU-Settlement Scheme Residence Card count as one of these criteria?

Has anyone tried to travel with EU-Settlement Scheme Residence Card to Europe without Schengen Visa?

We have prepared the marriage certificate (in English, translated by my husband but has been seen by Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs) and bring it with us during the journey.

P.S. The reason why I don't have German Residence Card is that we have met each other in Thailand and lived there, but then my husband has a job opportunity here and we decided to move here together.

Appreciate all comments.

kamoe
European Union

Re: Travelling to Germany with EU-Settlement Scheme Residence Card only (with out Schengen Visa)

Post by kamoe » Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 pm

orase88 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 pm
Does your Settlement Scheme card explicitly say: “Residence Card of a Family Member of an EU Citizen” OR “Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National” OR “Permanent Residence Card” ?

Also important, does it even look like the samples provided (which I believe are all EEA residence cards)?

If answer is no, then... No.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

orase88
Newly Registered
Thailand

Re: Travelling to Germany with EU-Settlement Scheme Residence Card only (with out Schengen Visa)

Post by orase88 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:23 pm

kamoe wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 pm
orase88 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 pm
Does your Settlement Scheme card explicitly say: “Residence Card of a Family Member of an EU Citizen” OR “Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National” OR “Permanent Residence Card” ?

Also important, does it even look like the samples provided (which I believe are all EEA residence cards)?

If answer is no, then... No.
Thanks for your answer.

And no, it doesn't say so, but I was expected that with the sentence EU SCHEME PRE-SETTLEMENT on the card would count as Family Member of an EU Citizen.

But that's okay. I guess we need to apply for a Schengen Visa.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed May 15, 2019 9:48 pm

orase88 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:23 pm
I was expected that with the sentence EU SCHEME PRE-SETTLEMENT on the card would count as Family Member of an EU Citizen.
Nope. See this post.
I guess we need to apply for a Schengen Visa.
Or apply to the good old EEA Residence Card (valid until Dec 2020, might be preferable to several Schengen visas if you count on traveling often).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

jaigirds
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jaigirds » Fri May 17, 2019 7:41 am

Quick question, can a non-EU national apply for an EEA residence card after receiving settled status? I.E. apply for settled status, receive confirmation and return of documents then apply for EEA residence card?

Thanks!

orase88
Newly Registered
Thailand

Post by orase88 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:30 pm

kamoe wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:48 pm
orase88 wrote:
I was expected that with the sentence EU SCHEME PRE-SETTLEMENT on the card would count as Family Member of an EU Citizen.
Nope. See this post.
Or apply to the good old EEA Residence Card (valid until Dec 2020, might be preferable to several Schengen visas if you count on traveling often).
I have sent an email to German Embassy and they said that

''Dear Mr. Xxxxx,

Thank you for your request.

Provided that you also already have pre-settlement or settlement status, they can continue to travel together without a visa as before. Unfortunately, we can not guarantee this and recommend you to check in advance with the airline.

Otherwise your spouse can apply for a Schengen visa at any time.

Yours sincerely

Visa service

Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.

Vorausgesetzt, dass auch Sie bereits pre-settlement oder settlement status nachweislich haben, können sie weiterhin gemeinsam visumfrei reisen wie bisher. Leider können wir hier keine Garantie übernehmen und empfehlen Ihnen vorab auch mit der Airline zu checken.

Ansonsten kann Ihr Ehepartner jederzeit gerne ein Schengenvisum bei uns beantragen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Visa Service

Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany''

I guess we will try it and we will let you know.

Blacksea28
Turkey

Post by Blacksea28 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:32 pm

orase88 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:30 pm
kamoe wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:48 pm
orase88 wrote:
Nope. See this post.
I have sent an email to German Embassy and they said that

''Dear Mr. Xxxxx,

Thank you for your request.

Provided that you also already have pre-settlement or settlement status, they can continue to travel together without a visa as before. Unfortunately, we can not guarantee this and recommend you to check in advance with the airline.

Otherwise your spouse can apply for a Schengen visa at any time.

Yours sincerely

Visa service

Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.

Vorausgesetzt, dass auch Sie bereits pre-settlement oder settlement status nachweislich haben, können sie weiterhin gemeinsam visumfrei reisen wie bisher. Leider können wir hier keine Garantie übernehmen und empfehlen Ihnen vorab auch mit der Airline zu checken.

Ansonsten kann Ihr Ehepartner jederzeit gerne ein Schengenvisum bei uns beantragen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Visa Service

Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany''

I guess we will try it and we will let you know.
Germoney likes to be lead of EU and for sure they won't make any issue as it is EU rights.

jmedina
Mood:
Argentina

Post by jmedina » Wed May 22, 2019 10:09 pm

Problem will be convincing the airline staff to board the airplane...

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu May 23, 2019 10:14 am

jmedina wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:09 pm
Problem will be convincing the airline staff to board the airplane...
Ditto.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu May 23, 2019 10:15 am

orase88 wrote:
I have sent an email to German Embassy
Noble intention, but completely useless. It's important to know who has power when, and when it comes to let people board a plane, unfortunately embassies have no say in what airlines decide to do.

orase88
Newly Registered
Thailand

Post by orase88 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:50 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:15 am
orase88 wrote:
I have sent an email to German Embassy
Noble intention, but completely useless. It's important to know who has power when, and when it comes to let people board a plane, unfortunately embassies have no say in what airlines decide to do.
I have just flied back from Germany with my wife, and everything is okay. You will need to show your Marriage Certificates.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:36 pm

I traveled a lot with my wife across Europe. I am the EEA national and she has a residence with the famous "Family member of EEA national".

The only country where we had zero issues, was Italy. Otherwise, it was a nightmare to travel. The issue starts usually at Heathrow when BA or whatever company we were flying with ask my wife for a Schengen visa. Then escalation, we are put a side until a manager comes in, makes calls... and 45 minutes later we get a boarding pass. Not a fun way to start holidays really :(

Then, traveling to Germany, Ireland, Netherlands... in and out, always stopped at the immigration and questioned. In Germany, an official from the immigration told me he doesn't know what EU means and he doesn't believe that Germany is part of European Union or if the EU laws apply in Germany. Germany was the worst. Nearly an hour at the immigration with 3 officers googling to see if my wife has the right to travel with me. Abuse at Amsterdam...

Well, long story short, we decided to stop traveling together until my wife gets a British passport.