ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self employed - Is HMRC registration certificate required

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

reachme20081
Newly Registered

Self employed - Is HMRC registration certificate required

Post by reachme20081 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:40 pm

Hi

I am basically into full time employment on a work permit in UK. I have got the P60 from permanent job.I am simultaneously doing some consultancy work to boost my earnings. I have registered with HMRC as part time self employed to pay NI and tax.

The question I have is Do I need a letter from HMRC confirming my registration as self employed for NI and tax? The problem is that HMRC say that they do not issue any such letters. I told them that I require the certificate for my visa but they insist that if BIA(Border and Immigration Agency) want they can get information from us.

Some one please reply

republique
BANNED

Re: Self employed - Is HMRC registration certificate require

Post by republique » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:50 pm

reachme20081 wrote:Hi

I am basically into full time employment on a work permit in UK. I have got the P60 from permanent job.I am simultaneously doing some consultancy work to boost my earnings. I have registered with HMRC as part time self employed to pay NI and tax.

The question I have is Do I need a letter from HMRC confirming my registration as self employed for NI and tax? The problem is that HMRC say that they do not issue any such letters. I told them that I require the certificate for my visa but they insist that if BIA(Border and Immigration Agency) want they can get information from us.

Some one please reply
what do you want the certificate for?

reachme20081
Newly Registered

Re: Self employed - Is HMRC registration certificate require

Post by reachme20081 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:37 pm

I mean do I need to send such an HMRC certificate with my tier 1 application form to show that I have registered with HMRC to claim points for previous earnings where part of earnings have been through self employment. Plz reply
republique wrote:
reachme20081 wrote:Hi

Some one please reply
what do you want the certificate for?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:02 pm

You don't need a letter / certificate from HMRC in support of your Tier 1 application (at least for now). As long as you pay NI, taxes etc. that law requires you to pay, and you're working legally, you'd be fine.

But yes, you will need to provide documentary evidence of each income, in line with what is prescribed in the Tier 1 policy guidance, if you wish to claim points for different incomes (e.g.- self-employed and employed). Please read through the Tier 1 policy guidance to get an idea of what sort of documentary evidence is *currently* acceptable for different categories.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

mayana

Post by mayana » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:56 pm

You don't need any certificate but if you are registered with the HMRC and you are claiming income from self employement then the required evidence is the income tex return invoice or what ever the tax office as sent to you to pay tax based on earning you have claimed when filling you Income Tax Return form..this will clear show you income and profit plus tax paid..

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:23 am

It is illegal to get self employed on work permit.

Since you are on work permit you can only for the employer who sponsored you. You are not entitled to get self employed at all. Not entitled to under any circumstances what so ever.

So stop thinking of applying for HSMP. You will never get approval as you are violating the rules.

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:53 am

As rizwan says, pretty sure it is illegal for you to be self-employed whilst on work permit with another company (read the home office guidance/rules) so be very careful with this.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:41 am

Tier 1 policy guidance ver. 06/08 wrote:100. We will not consider earnings made during a time when the applicant was in breach of the United Kingdom’s immigration laws.
regards

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:01 pm

Hello reachme20081

If you are on a TWES permit you cannot do any supplementary employment at all

TWES guidance
Supplementary employment
125. TWES work permit holders may not undertake supplementary employment.
If you are on an ordinary business and commercial work permit you cannot do any self employment work. If it is a multiple entry work permit (hint - only issued for 2 years & not multiple entry visa!) you cannot do any supplementary employement of any kind.

Business and Commercial guidance
Multiple Entry Work Permits
116. The employee will not be allowed to undertake supplementary employment whilst on this type of permit.
149. The work permit holder is not allowed to enter self-employment, set-up a business or join another business as a director or partner without obtaining further permission from us. If a work permit holder wishes to be self-employed or set up a business they will need to apply to us for leave to remain for this purpose. For further information please contact us
on 0870 606 7766.
You are in breach of the UK's immigration laws & your earnings are very unlikely to be counted towards your points.

Regards

PP