ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can I add my spouse(who joined later)name when apply for ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tencel
Newly Registered

can I add my spouse(who joined later)name when apply for ILR

Post by Tencel » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:02 pm

I moved to uk during Sep 2003 and my wife joined me during jun 2004 and have a baby born in the UK. when i apply for ILR she would have completed 4+ years in the UK. can i add her name in the dependant list when applying, please let me know. Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:32 pm

If your wife is classified as your dependant spouse, then she may be included in your settlement application (196E). You would both need to satisfy the Knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom requirements.
Last edited by vinny on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

purplepple

Post by purplepple » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:03 am

vinny, even with less than 5 years of residency, the spouse can apply for ILR along with the main applicant?

Also, I think I read somewhere that the dependent spouse will have to go through a spouse visa first and only after 2 years will he/she be able to apply for ILR.

Can you please clarify? Thanks.

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:40 am

As long as the spouse is on a dependent visa, he /she can be included in the ILR application. There is no minimum time required for a couple to be married before the spouse can be included in the ILR application. The residency requirement is only for the main applicant.

The scenario that you described is applicable when the main applicant becomes a British citizen and the other one is not eligible for citizenship (as there are residency requirements for each applicant). In such a case, the spouse will need to apply for a spouse visa (if not already on ILR).

purplepple

Post by purplepple » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:08 am

That sorts it out.

Thanks jazbaati.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:11 am

jazbaati99 wrote:As long as the spouse is on a dependent visa, he /she can be included in the ILR application. There is no minimum time required for a couple to be married before the spouse can be included in the ILR application. The residency requirement is only for the main applicant.
They have introduced a minimum two-year UK residence requirement for partners of Tier 1 (General) - highly skilled worker migrants (319E(d)).
Settlement wrote:Dependants

Partners of Tier 1 (General) - highly skilled worker migrants are eligible to apply for settlement at the same time as the migrant, provided they have lived with their partners in the United Kingdom for a minimum of two years before applying for settlement.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:10 am

Thanks Vinny.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:26 pm

196E does not currently require a minimum two years residence in the UK, although 319E(d) does.

guly3

Post by guly3 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:54 pm

Hi Vinny,
I read the reference 319E(d) that you have given and it does say that the partner of a tier 1 immigrant must be in a relationship for atleast 2 years.

So where would it leave the spouse of tier 1. Would the spouse need to get a visa again?

RSARD
Newly Registered

ILR and dependants

Post by RSARD » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:30 pm

My que is similar but relates to my son who came here as\ my dependant and joined me a month later. when I apply for ILR at the end of 5 years he wd be plus 18 years. Will I be including his name in my application.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:48 pm

guly3 wrote:Hi Vinny,
I read the reference 319E(d) that you have given and it does say that the partner of a tier 1 immigrant must be in a relationship for atleast 2 years.

So where would it leave the spouse of tier 1. Would the spouse need to get a visa again?
If the spouse does not meet with the minimum two year requirement for settlement, then I believe the spouse should apply for an extension.

vinny

Re: ILR and dependants

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:02 am

RSARD wrote:My que is similar but relates to my son who came here as\ my dependant and joined me a month later. when I apply for ILR at the end of 5 years he wd be plus 18 years. Will I be including his name in my application.
Dependants over 18 may apply for settlement at the same time, but using a separate form and paying the appropriate fee. They should also meet with the KOL requirements.

guly3

Post by guly3 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:20 am

Hi Vinny,
Thanks for the reply
f the spouse does not meet with the minimum two year requirement for settlement, then I believe the spouse should apply for an extension.
My spouse already has a visa till june 2010 and he would have completed 2 years in UK by then. This is because I was on WP before and later switched to HSMP therefore, I had a couple of years left in my visa before my ILR.

guly3

Post by guly3 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi,

I called HO and it was confirmed that I need to apply for FLR(M) for my spouse. This because his VISA was dependant on mine and any changes in my VISA status is going to change his visa requirements.

Another £400 down the drain :(

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:11 pm

vinny wrote:If the spouse does not meet with the minimum two year requirement for settlement, then I believe the spouse should apply for an extension.
Extension or spouse visa? There is not much point in trying to extend the visa as a dependent of an HSMP/WP holder when the person in question no longer has HSMP/WP.

guly3

Post by guly3 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:01 pm

yeah,
its a differnet visa as a dependant of someone settled in UK

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:49 pm

guly3 wrote:yeah,
its a differnet visa as a dependant of someone settled in UK
spouse visa then, FLR(M)