ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lack of NI contributions when self-employed

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

George7371
Newly Registered
Mood:
European Union

Lack of NI contributions when self-employed

Post by George7371 » Sun May 26, 2019 3:59 pm

Hi All - I have a question regarding lack of NI contributions when applying for naturalization.

I’ve recently obtained settled status and am planning to apply for naturalization after 12 months. However reading through the application form it mentions sending proof of Ni contributions. Whilst I have been in full time employment for over 5 years, I was initially working as self-employed when I first came to the UK for about 17-18 months. I never completed a self assessment form when my company accounts were due the first year as I didn’t intend to continue working as self-employed and companies house said my LtD will just be dissolved if I didn’t intend to continue trading and no need to send any paperwork . In that period I didn’t earn enough to pay Ni and tax anyway so In the end my Ltd was dissolved and I went into full-time employment .

My concern is that this may impact my naturalization application as I have no proof of Ni contributions in that period.

Can someone advise if they believe this will be a problem and what I can do about this?

It will be much appreciated as I can’t seem to find any information on this.

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Lack of NI contributions when self-employed

Post by alterhase58 » Sun May 26, 2019 4:07 pm

Lack of NI contributions is not an issue if none were due - you don't have to prove the ones you paid as HMRC have the records and available to UKVI. Also it's not a requirement being employed or economically active.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

George7371
Newly Registered
Mood:
European Union

Post by George7371 » Sun May 26, 2019 4:11 pm

Thanks for the quick reply much appreciated!

So do I just put “self employed” on my application for that period and leave it at that?

Would I need to send company bank statements or invoices to prove the fact that no contributions were due?

I didn’t claim any benefits in that period so my HMRC record that year just states “no contributions made”.

I just wonder whether they would question this at all.

Thanks again for your help. It’s greatly appreciated!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun May 26, 2019 4:29 pm

Yes you need to show "self employed" during the relevant period. If you have correspondence from HMRC include that and explain separately the situation, especially if you can provide documents for this.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

George7371
Newly Registered
Mood:
European Union

Post by George7371 » Sun May 26, 2019 4:38 pm

Thanks. Companies house and HMRC never sent anything. I just spoke with companies house at the time on the phone and they said if no accounts are filed they’ll dissolve the company and that was the end of it really.

The only proof will be bank statements and invoices I suppose. So I guess I will send these if asked and explain the situation separately if required. Hopefully, that will suffice.

In regards to the years of full-time employment, Will the dates and name of employers be sufficient as clearly HMRC have record of all contributions made so I don’t suppose I’ll need to be sending pay slips and P60s?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun May 26, 2019 4:55 pm

You should send P60 or letters from employers (if only one or two) stating you worked there. This is for proving residency as EU people don't get stamps in their passports.

George7371
Newly Registered
Mood:
European Union

Post by George7371 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:05 pm

I see. Thanks for this advice. I didn’t realize this would still be required even after having settled status which is of course based on 5+ Years residency. Sounds redundant having have to send p60s to prove residency when the Home Office has granted settled status as this is in theory proof of residency.

But if it’s a requirement which will make the decision easier for the caseworker, might as well.

Would they accept copies or do they require originals? A lot of my documents are digital including P60s and payslips so i take it these can be emailed or perhaps attached as part of the online application process?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Note that naturalisation is separate from EU regulations or settled status therefore everything requested should be provided, in original but can be uploaded via online. Note that residency (5 years) is worked back from the date of application so not necessarily the same as for settled status.

George7371
Newly Registered
Mood:
European Union

Post by George7371 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:41 pm

Ok I understand. That makes more sense now. Thanks for clarifying.

So does that mean I need to provide P60s for each year?

There are 1 or 2 years where I can’t find my P60s. Would I need to provide payslips for the entire year if a P60 can’t be supplied or would a few from different months be sufficient?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:42 pm

Provide what you can and explain if necessary.