ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM query, Romein decision

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kommissar
Newly Registered
Australia

UKM query, Romein decision

Post by kommissar » Wed May 22, 2019 3:55 am

Hello all,

Apologies if this question has been answered before. I’ve attempted to view topics relevant to my particular situation via numerous threads without luck.

May I please ask whether a person is eligible for registration as a British Citizen (UKM born in Australia prior to 1983) if their maternal grandmother is a British Citizen?

1. Applicant, born Australia 1978 (parent married at time of birth);
2. Applicants Mother, born Australia 1948 (parents married at time of birth); and
3. Applicant maternal Grandmother, born UK 1906 (parents married at time of birth).

I can see information about the Romein decision, where the applicant was born prior to 1983 outside the UK to a maternal grandfather. Other threads make mention of being eligible to apply (under the same category) if an applicant is born to a maternal British grandmother.

I’m hoping I can get some information from the ‘Brains Trust’ within these forums rather than making an unsuccessful UKM application if I’m actually not eligible to register as a British Citizen.

With many thanks, Kommissar

kommissar
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: UKM query, Romein decision

Post by kommissar » Mon May 27, 2019 9:44 am

Any ideas?

MickByNameAndNature
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MickByNameAndNature » Wed May 29, 2019 9:09 pm

I do not believe it does, but I could be wrong. In discussing the British Nationality Act of 1981 (Remedial) Order 2019, the Home Office discussed this (see page 3 of the correspondence):

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/joi ... _Chair.pdf

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:24 pm

kommissar wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:44 am
Any ideas?
See the links below in the topic for the Romein judgement from last year. Many have had success using this if they meet the specific requirements.

british-citizenship/citizenship-by-doub ... n#p1774203
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.