ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

query regarding depandant maintanence fund

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

karthi305
Newly Registered

query regarding depandant maintanence fund

Post by karthi305 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:30 am

hi guys,

i am new user to this forum.
i need help from friends who applied TIER 1 from India

I have some more queries related to dependant.

I am married and have a child but I am not applying visa for them along with me during my initial TIER 1 General migrant application.

I am planning to take them after I get the JOB in UK may be after one year.

In Tier 1 general Migrant application form

VAF9B, Part 5a, section 5.1 and 5.5, what should I write YES or NO for my case of dependant not accompanying with me.

If i write Yes, Do I need to show the maintenance fund for both dependants during my application?

request senior members guidance

karthi305
Newly Registered

Post by karthi305 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:32 am

sorry guys,

repeat question.

even if we plan to take dependants after one year, is there a need show maintanace fund now itself

thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:38 pm

karthi305 wrote:even if we plan to take dependants after one year, is there a need show maintanace fund now itself
You have to show maintenance funds for (the number of) people making the EC application.

Please make an effort to search the forum for information already available.

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:46 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
karthi305 wrote:even if we plan to take dependants after one year, is there a need show maintanace fund now itself
You have to show maintenance funds for (the number of) people making the EC application.
You have to show maintenance funds for all dependents who are entering UK within 12 months of your EC Visa/enterance in UK.

If you are planning to take dependents after 12 months of your entering UK, then you have to show maintenance only for your application and not dependents.

But this might raise questions in ECO's mind as to why would you live alone without family for more than 12 months, etc. ? (I know they have no right to ask such questions, but..) So make sure that you have good explaination for your moves.

In HSMP regime there were few cases where applications were rejected because dependent applications were not made simultaneously (and hence the reason for rejection was: "you do not intend to make UK your main home, hence I reject your application, etc...) But I am not sure same theory applies to Tier 1 visas as well.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:20 pm

CoolestGuyC wrote:You have to show maintenance funds for all dependents who are entering UK within 12 months of your EC Visa/enterance in UK.

If you are planning to take dependents after 12 months of your entering UK, then you have to show maintenance only for your application and not dependents.
Are you suggesting that a EC applicant with a family cannot make an EC application unless he can show availability of maintenance funds for each and every dependent (wife+children under 18 ) at the time of his EC application, irrespective of whether the dependents are making an EC application (along with the main applicant) or not, or unless the main appicant is *absolutely certain* that his dependents are not going to join him within 12 months of his arrival in UK?? Any confirmation from BHC that substantiates this claim of yours? Or if is this already prescribed somewhere by UKBA/BHC/VFS?? Or if this is yet another *new* requirement that BHC/VFS have come up with, that you are aware of??
coolestguyC wrote:In HSMP regime there were few cases where applications were rejected because dependent applications were not made simultaneously (and hence the reason for rejection was: "you do not intend to make UK your main home, hence I reject your application, etc...) But I am not sure same theory applies to Tier 1 visas as well.
I am sure there are thousands of HSMP visa holders, who travelled to the UK on their own and established themselves ecomonically before bringing their family over to join them. I, for one, had clearly mentioned in my HSMP EC application more than two years ago that my partner will not be travelling with me. Never had a problem with my EC. And BTW, there was no requirement for maintenance funds before 01-Apr in India (and 29-Feb in UK).

I would agree with you if you wish to suggest that - "it might add weight to an EC application if the applicant can show availability of maintenance funds for himself and his dependents at the time of his EC application itself, as this will convince ECO that he has required funds to support his dependents whenever they decide to relocate to UK". But unless you can substantiate your claim(s) through evidence from official sources, I cannot believe that this is the case.

regards

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:48 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Are you suggesting that a EC applicant with a family cannot make an EC application unless he can show availability of maintenance funds for each and every dependent (wife+children under 18 ) at the time of his EC application, irrespective of whether the dependents are making an EC application (along with the main applicant) or not, or unless the main appicant is *absolutely certain* that his dependents are not going to join him within 12 months of his arrival in UK?? Any confirmation from BHC that substantiates this claim of yours? Or if is this already prescribed somewhere by UKBA/BHC/VFS??
Yes. In form VAF 9A, Part 7 Maintenance Requirement has the following paragraph. Link for above document is http://www.vfs-uk-in.com/images/PBS-VAF9%20A.PDF
In order for the application to be approved you must have a minimum level of funds and score 10 points for your level of funds.
If you do not score 10 points the application will be refused. You must have £2,800 available funds for yourself plus £1,600 for
each dependant accompanying you or intending to join you in the UK within 12 months of your arrival in the UK.

sushdmehta wrote:I would agree with you if you wish to suggest that - "it might add weight to an EC application if the applicant can show availability of maintenance funds for himself and his dependents at the time of his EC application itself, as this will convince ECO that he has required funds to support his dependents whenever they decide to relocate to UK". But unless you can substantiate your claim(s) through evidence from official sources, I cannot believe that this is the case.
I also think that it is logical (and monetarily feasible) if a person first establishes himself in UK and then calls his family. What you have written above is also the thing which I used to believe in, until I saw the paragraph in VAF 9A form. Although this rule is not mentioned anywhere (even in Guidance notes), but it is present in the Application form VAF 9A.
It is also present in the new forms for applicants around the world who wish to apply for Tier 1 after 30 June 2008. Link here: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/ ... sappendix1
See section 7, maintenance funds, first paragraph

As I said in some other post, the rules are present in too many fragmented documents/websites, and this creates a hell lot of confusion for applicants.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:05 pm

I am shocked to see this, to say the least.
:shock:

Guess I didn't pay enough attention to the finer print in the new VAF forms, hence the ignorance :cry: .

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:32 pm

Your shock is second to mine :) .

For an applicant with spouse and child (who wishes to bring them with him to UK), for applying from India or rest of world, the above rules translates to following amount:

2800 GBP + 1600 * 2 GBP = 6000 GBP Maintenane Fund + 1800 GBP (Application fees for 3 dependents) = 7800 GBP ~ 6.7 lac INR.

(6000 GBP for three months and 1800 GBP fees for main applicant / dependents.

Tier 1 sure is a costly Visa!!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:05 pm

On a lighter note - all single applicants are recommended to apply for Tier 1 first, and then get married :lol: :lol: :lol:

regards

nsurana
Newly Registered

Post by nsurana » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:39 am

I had asked the same question some days back, please see the link http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=27889.

I got an answer on this forum that I need to show maintenance fund for myself only so I went ahead and did the same. I submitted my application last week at Bangalore VFA with my bank statements showing around 3.5 lakhs. For support, I attached my wife's bank statements which also has same amount.

I don't know what will happen to my application now as it seems that I needed to show around 6000 pounds in my bank itself for me and my dependents. I am quite tensed now as it looks that I won't clear the maintenance funds requirements. Even though I have submitted my wife's bank statements, I am not sure whether they will be considered or not.

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:02 am

I attached my wife's bank statements which also has same amount. I don't know what will happen to my application now as it seems that I needed to show around 6000 pounds in my bank itself for me and my dependents.
I don't think there is anything to worry for you, as you have submitted 7 lac INR proofs. (For you and your wife).

And I don't think above post says that money (meant for dependent's maintenance) should only be in main applicant's account, it CAN ALSO be in dependent's name.

If you want more information related to maintenance funds related to dependents, and whose account can be shown for the same, please read following links, they will clarify most of your doubts:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/workin ... ependants/

And for your case maintenance requirement is 2800 GBP + 1600 GBP = 3.75 lac INR only, so as above, I don't think you have any reason for worry.

nsurana
Newly Registered

Post by nsurana » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:50 pm

Thanks a lot for responding to my post CoolestGuy. You really reduced my tension as I was very much worried from morning. My maintenance requirement is 2800+1600(for wife)+1600(for kid)=6000 pounds as I have a kid also.

Actually right now, I have applied for myself only. My kid is only 6 months old and we haven't got a passport for him till now. I'll apply for him and my wife together after getting his passport.

I've one more query, my wife is also working and she is also eligible to apply for Tier 1. What do you feel will be better, should we apply a dependent visa for her or Tier 1 itself? Since the fees for both are same what will be more advantageous for us?

ashgok

It surely expensive due to the currency rate!

Post by ashgok » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:52 pm

Hi,

As you all know Pound is one of the strongest currency also I have lived in london for quite sometime and its true you need to have a good bank balance enough to support yourself. It is a costly affair. The rents r soaring high every year and thats why the BC dont want that non-PR gain access to UK government funds. If anyone of you is on a WP you must have observed it shows as - No recourse to funds". Once you reach a PR stage then everything will be readily available to you. I will give you one of the coolest example. Here when you buy frozen food or any type of food or veggies you buy it looking at the validity date. Here every food you buy works on vailidity date every organic foods. Its just you have to shop every 3rd day. So it means that you need to buy stuff every 3rd day.

Acc to the average Consumption of every individual increases which inturn increases the demand and then supply and the price increases. I am sure you are aware of this.

Guess what even potatoes have to be stored on vailidity date.lol. Here bus travel tickets has increased to 2 pounds. Travelling doesnt depend on cities it depends on zones.

Its great here and the standard of living is also great. Thats the reason the BC checks whether you are to that level to be able to support yourself and your family in extreme circumstances. Finding a job is not that easy too. Dependents do also get a priority to work here which is not available in the US but they hardly get to do so.

It is justified, someday when you guys come here you will know too. The best bet would be is to first come here alone settle down completelyand once u know everything about this city, where you live and then bring your dependent. Most of the places here are called villages. Doesnt mean u live in a village but that is how they are termed as. Here you would hardly get to see people and would only see cars passing buy. Quite lonesome at time.

Minimum time is once you live here for initial one month you would get to know how it is here. But incase the dependents are "IT professionals" then let them apply for an independent viasas so that husband and wife can both work together. As I told you, finding work for even an dependent IT professional would be difficult.

So all the best to all of you.

Thanks,
Ash
CoolestGuyC wrote:
Your shock is second to mine :) .

For an applicant with spouse and child (who wishes to bring them with him to UK), for applying from India or rest of world, the above rules translates to following amount:

2800 GBP + 1600 * 2 GBP = 6000 GBP Maintenane Fund + 1800 GBP (Application fees for 3 dependents) = 7800 GBP ~ 6.7 lac INR.

Tier 1 sure is a costly Visa!!

Tibu

suggestion...

Post by Tibu » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:04 am

i have applied for EC last week. At the time of submitting the doc at VFS. the official asked whether there was any huge transaction done in the three month period. i have told them that a loan amout of 2 lac has been taken .( With out this 2 lac amount also i could easily claim for Maintanence. ) So the official wanted me to highlight the amount in Bank statement and the Evidence for loan from the bank. and she went in directly highlighting the same in the original document.
Here my worry is whether it would cause any kind of prob. if we modify the original bank statement.
Only thing done was a highlighting and a note for that.
will be EC be rejected for this case.....my personal opinion that everything rest is okay...
Any senior member please sugguest.

rely

Post by rely » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:03 am

GBP 6000 is not an expenditure.This is your money and it will be with you.
GBP 1800 is expenditure ie Rs 150000-000.
rely

Tier 1 sure is a costly Visa!![/quote]

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:08 am

rely wrote:GBP 6000 is not an expenditure.This is your money and it will be with you.
But you still have to show it in your account for minimum 3 months(may be after taking a loan, breaking a fixed deposit, etc.) . That was my point.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:20 pm

Posting this just for the sake of a *healthy* debate!

What would happen if applicant says his dependents will not join him in first 12 months at the time of his EC application (I believe the form asks for an intended date of travel). But then, on arrival in UK the applicant then sposnors dependent EC application within the first 12 months (contrary to his earlier intentions).

What do you think will happen in this case? The applicant never made a sworn affidavit, he was only asked for *intended* date of travel of dependents, and intentions are just what they are - not sacrosanct, liable to change!

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:58 pm

nsurana wrote:I've one more query, my wife is also working and she is also eligible to apply for Tier 1. What do you feel will be better, should we apply a dependent visa for her or Tier 1 itself? Since the fees for both are same what will be more advantageous for us?
Advantage of applying as separate Tier 1 applicant:
1. Easier to find a job and convince consultants (dependents face some difficulty in convincing consultants about work authorization).
2. You have back up when you both are extending your leaves. If something goes wrong in one application, he can atleast apply as dependent other. (Please check for rules for switching into/from dependents category)
3. Same fees as applying for dependent visa.

Advantage of applying as dependent of Tier 1 applicant:
1. Dependent Visa is faster(5-7 days) compared to Tier 1 Visa.
2. You need to show more Maintenance funds if you are main applicant as compared to funds to be shown when you are dependent.(2800 vs 1600 GBP)
Also please keep in mind not to show "same funds" again for your spouse/kid 's maintenance which you have already shown for yourself.

I think the disadvantages are very insignificant/small and your spouse should definitely apply as a separate Tier 1 applicant.

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:13 pm

What would happen if applicant says his dependents will not join him in first 12 months at the time of his EC application (I believe the form asks for a intended date of travel). But then, on arrival in UK the applicant them sposnors dependent EC application within the first 12 months (contrary to his earlier intentions).

What do you think will happen in this case? The applicant never made a sworn affidavit, he was only asked for *intended* date of travel of dependents and intentions are just what they are - not sacrosanct, liable to change!
For UKBIA/ BHC Chennai following would take place: They would accuse the main Tier 1 applicant of using "false representation" to get the Tier 1 Visa (Since he used "false representation" that his dependents would join him later, he was able to get Visa with lower level of funds as compared to when his dependents would have joined him with in 12 months). Hence he would have his present Tier 1 Visa revoked according to 320(7A) and hence he would be banned for next 10 years.

P.S. I am just exaggerating :wink:

ukhsmp

Post by ukhsmp » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:54 am

Hi CoolestGuyC,
I am also in the same situation . I have around 3000 GBP in my bank account for the last 3 months.I hvae my wife and kid as depenedent. I was planning to apply for them after I settle in UK>when I saw this post I was shocked.So I mailed the Chennai BHC and asked them but they said contrary to what is in this post .They said that I have to maintain only 2800 GBP for my application. Pls clarify my doubts .I have pasted the mail below.

> From: Chennai.VisaEnquiry@fco.gov.uk <Chennai.VisaEnquiry@fco.gov.uk>
> Subject: RE: Maintenanace funds for Dependents
> Date: Thursday, July 10, 2008, 2:06 PM
> Sir,
>
> If you are applying just for yourself, it is £2800.
>
> Yours Sincerely,
>
>
> > UK Border Agency
> > Visa Services
> > Visa Support Officer
> > Casework Section
> > British Deputy High Commission,Chennai
> dr
> Sent: 10 July 2008 13:59
> To: Chennai.VisaEnquiry@fco.gov.uk
> Subject: RE: Maintenanace funds for Dependents
>
>
> Hi Sir ,
>
> Thank you for your reply. I am currently filling APPENDIX
> 1: TIER 1
> (GENERAL) MIGRANT SELF- ASSESSMENT form and I see the
> below statement in
> the form
>
> In order for the application to be approved you must have a
> minimum level of
> funds and score 10 points for your level of funds. If you
> do not score 10
> points the application will be refused. You must have
> £2,800 available funds
> for yourself plus £1,600 for each dependant accompanying
> you or intending to
> join you in the United Kingdom within 12 months of your
> arrival in the
> United Kingdom.
>
> In my case my wife and kids are planning to join me in 5
> months once I get
> settled there .So please let me know what is the amount I
> have to fill in
> the section 7.1 below
>
> 7.1 Please calculate the amount of funds required for you
> and the
> dependants named in the Personal Details part of this
> application form and
> enter the amount here.
>
> Regards,
>

>
>
> --- On Thu, 7/10/08, Chennai.VisaEnquiry@fco.gov.uk
> <Chennai.VisaEnquiry@fco.gov.uk> wrote:
>
> > From: Chennai.VisaEnquiry@fco.gov.uk
> <Chennai.VisaEnquiry@fco.gov.uk>
> > Subject: RE: Maintenanace funds for Dependents
> > Date: Thursday, July 10, 2008, 11:40 AM
> >
> > Thank you for your e-mail.
> >
> > I wish to confirm that you have to show funds of
> £2800 for
> > the maintenance
> > criteria. Your dependants will need to show funds at
> the
> > time of lodging
> > their application £1600 per head.
> > We have now completed our consultation on the policy
> > applying to maintenance
> > under the Points Based Scheme. I can further inform
> you
> > that in light of
> > this consultation and in line with the guidance shown
> on
> > the UK Borders
> > Agency website, you may indeed submit bank statements
> > relating to an account
> > in joint names with your spouse.
> >
> > However, please bear in mind that the statements
> should be
> > original on
> > official bank paper and show the balance over the 3
> month
> > period immediately
> > prior to your (proposed) visa application. Bank
> statements
> > must show a final
> > balance no older than 1 week prior to the submission
> of
> > your visa
> > application.
> >
> > Trust the above clarifies.
> >
> > Yours Sincerely,
> >
> > > UK Border Agency
> > > Visa Services
> > > Visa Support Officer
> > > Casework Section
> > > British Deputy High Commission,Chennai
> > dr
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > Sent: 10 July 2008 11:32
> > To: Chennai.VisaEnquiry@fco.gov.uk
> > Subject: Maintenanace funds for Dependents
> >
> >
> > Hi Sir,
> >
> > I need a clarification regarding Maintenanace funds
> for
> > dependents .I had
> > applied for HSMP and got approval.Now I am applying
> for
> > EC.I have two
> > dependents (Wife and kid).Currently as my kid is very
> small
> > and also my wife
> > is planning to join me in the UK after 5 months after
> I get
> > settled in a
> > suitable job in UK.I will be applying for dependent
> visa
> > for them after I
> > get settled in UK.Pls let me know how much maintenance
> > funds I have to
> > maintain for my application. and fill in the
> application
> > form.Thanks in
> > advance.
> >
ukhsmp

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:20 pm

Wow :shock: !!! This is one more example of Indian BHC making their own rules which over ride the published information in guidance notes (and application forms).

As you have got this email from Chennai BHC itself, if I were you, I would :
1. go ahead with GBP 3000 and apply for myself,
2. Tick Yes in question 5.1 of Visa Application Form 9 (VAF 9)
3. I would attach printout of this email with my application.

Chances of rejection for above reason (maintenance for dependents who are coming to UK within 12 months of main applicant's arrival not shown) are near to zero. This is because, currently they only need proof for Main applicant (for applicants at BHC Chennai).

By the way, this is a "landmark" email for applicants with dependents(applying at BHC Chennai). For any other applicant having similar case, it would be best to get a similar email from BHC (where they are applying), and attach print out with application.

Also I would warn you about the rate of change of rules and their interpretation by Indian BHCs, for example:

1. Joint accounts were not acceptable some time ago, now joint accounts with spouse are acceptable.
2. For maintenance funds, a new rule was introduced recently, which said that bank statements (for maintenance funds ) should not be more than 7 days old. They recently rejected some applications on this basis (which were filed before they introduced "7 days" rule). Please see:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#180879 and http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#180846

So if next month they decide to change their interpretation of this rule, I would not be surprised if they reject an application which is made this month.

But you have nothing to worry, because you have this email and you have taken steps which have been suggested by them.

ra_njan

Post by ra_njan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:49 pm

I cannot stop myself posting here.

I have applied for my Tier 1 ( only for me) with somewhat 3000 GBP maint fund in June 2008, BHC Chennai.
2. I mentioned my dependants will join later , within 12 months.
3. I mentioned my intended date of Travel in August 2008.
4. I mentioned my dependant intended date of travel in November 2008.
5. my Tier 1 got approved.
ra_njan
---------------
Tier 1 Fresh Application from India
Application Date - 6th June 2008 from VFS Hyderabad
Fees taken - 6th June
Ref No. Allocated - 6th June
Status - Approved on 1st July
Documents Received - 3rd July

karthi305
Newly Registered

VAF form filling

Post by karthi305 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:20 am

Thanks ra_njan

one another query

what did you fill in VAF form 9a part 5a section 5.1 and 5.5. i.e., YES or NO.

i asked same question to VFS Mumbai, thier reply says,

"With regard to your query, if you are not taking your dependents when you travel to UK you can write “noâ€

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rajesh9pl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:03 am

ukhsmp wrote:Hi CoolestGuyC,
I am also in the same situation . I have around 3000 GBP in my bank account for the last 3 months.I hvae my wife and kid as depenedent. I was planning to apply for them after I settle in UK>when I saw this post I was shocked.So I mailed the Chennai BHC and asked them but they said contrary to what is in this post .They said that I have to maintain only 2800 GBP for my application. Pls clarify my doubts .I have pasted the mail below.

Truncated meessage..
I had also raised same query to BHC (Chennai, India) and got same reply. I think UKBA must review their content on Appendix 1 (Part 7, Maintenance) form to make it clearer.

Only those who got approval under Tier1, had not applied for dependents and had shown only GBP 2800 can endorse this theory further.

Can a successful candidate please reply?

Counter is 1 (ra_njan, Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:49 pm)

Cheers!.

ra_njan

Re: VAF form filling

Post by ra_njan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:59 am

[quote="karthi305"]Thanks ra_njan

one another query

what did you fill in VAF form 9a part 5a section 5.1 and 5.5. i.e., YES or NO.

i asked same question to VFS Mumbai, thier reply says,

"With regard to your query, if you are not taking your dependents when you travel to UK you can write “noâ€