ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does Master Degree Give you 10 Points for English ?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

saqib389

Does Master Degree Give you 10 Points for English ?

Post by saqib389 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:17 am

Hi Guyz

I have one question that......

I have done MSC in Computer networking from United Kingdom...

So i need to know is that alright with my english language requirements ?

Because on the home office website it says.... you hold a degree that is equivalent to UK bachleor level or ABOVE.... so above means Masters ?

i am bit confused

Looking forward to hear from you

Many Thanks
Saqib

rawpan

Post by rawpan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:22 am

Hi,

Please do a self-assessment for Tier-1 General category by Self-assessment tool
at http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

You will come to know the answer.

Cheers,
rawpan

saqib389

Post by saqib389 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:38 am

Hi

Yes it showing 10 points for my master degree in English section...

But i was not sure that before applying....... i have applied it and for the english purpose i have showed my bachlor degree which is not from UK..... so any suggestion what should i do now ?

saqib389

Post by saqib389 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:22 am

I have recently applied for TIER 1 (general) switching from International Graduate Scheme.

I have just noticed today 30TH June 2008 that its a new point based calculator is on the home office website.

I have already sent my application with the english language requirements and sent my Bachelors degree for showing english language skills. and this degree was from Pakistan and it was taught in English, ( documents sent --> Letter from Naric and from University says that medium of instruction was in English for this course )

Now i can see that in the self assesment tool its not giving me 10 points for English for my bachelor degree . BUT its giving me 10 points for my Master's degree which i did from United Kingdom. Masters in Computer Networking from University of Bedfordshire.

So what should i do ? can you please guide me.

rawpan

Post by rawpan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:53 pm

Hi,

On what date did u apply ?

rawpan

Post by rawpan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi,

I read your message. I believe you are from Pakistan & you had applied before 30th June, 2008. My question is that how you were able to apply for Tier 1 general because before 30th June, 2008 it was open for Indian nationals only. Tier 1 programme went global today itself.

Anyway, I checked the Self assessment tool right now. Whilst the format of tool has certainly changed but the contents still remains same. If you got your degree assessed from NARIC then it should not be a problem.
Thats what PBS guidelines states.!!..
You did well to send the letter from ur Univ as well.

cheers,
rawpan

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:53 pm

saqib389 wrote:I have recently applied for TIER 1 (general) switching from International Graduate Scheme.
In-country Tier 1 application.

BTW, can someone here explain to me as to how how a letter from University or a letter from NARIC will be of any use when the qualification is not appearing in the English Language requirements section of the self-assessment tool - as is being suggested here (or so it seems)? Please note that I am refering to a Tier 1 application and not an HSMP application.
saqib389 wrote:I have already sent my application with the english language requirements and sent my Bachelors degree for showing english language skills. and this degree was from Pakistan and it was taught in English, ( documents sent --> Letter from Naric and from University says that medium of instruction was in English for this course ). Now i can see that in the self assesment tool its not giving me 10 points for English for my bachelor degree.
The OP has been advised on the same issue before here, but it seems he has not been able to understand the rules, inspite of help. Reminds me of *notty*.

If this cannot make it crystal clear for the reader (already provided to OP), I don't know what else will help. :cry:

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!