ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 to non-EU unmarried partner

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vonka
Newly Registered
India

Tier 2 to non-EU unmarried partner

Post by vonka » Tue May 28, 2019 12:46 am

Hi all,

This will be very confusing but I'll give it a shot.

I am currently on a Tier 2 and I will leave my current job to start a course in a UK university. I already have my CAS for my T2-to-T4 switch application.

However, it seems ridiculous to pay nearly GBP 2000 for a T4 visa when, by the time my course starts, I will have been living with my EU unmarried partner for 2 years and 1 month. Could I apply for pre-settlement as her partner one month before starting my course and that's it?

It gets more complicated when I consider that my course won't be in the same city as we live now, so we'd be apart for some months. Despite our intention being for her to join me in the new city after some months, I struggle to see how this won't be considered as a proof that we do not intending to continue with our couple.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

kamoe
European Union

Re: Tier 2 to non-EU unmarried partner

Post by kamoe » Tue May 28, 2019 10:19 am

vonka wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:46 am
I will have been living with my EU unmarried partner for 2 years and 1 month. Could I apply for pre-settlement as her partner one month before starting my course and that's it?
Not immediately.

Unmarried partners cannot apply for Pre-Settled status if they do not already have a EEA Residence Card. You might be, however, eligible to apply for the EEA Residence Card. Then, once you have the RC in your hands, you can apply for Pre-Settlement.
It gets more complicated when I consider that my course won't be in the same city as we live now, so we'd be apart for some months. Despite our intention being for her to join me in the new city after some months, I struggle to see how this won't be considered as a proof that we do not intending to continue with our couple.
The more important thing is that you prove that your relaitonship, apart from being genuine, is 'akin to marriage', that is that you have shared financial commitments for those 2 years. Financial commitments are usually and more strongly proved by:

-Council tax bill in joint names
-Joint bank account
-Joint tenancy agreement
-Any other house bill (except TV license) in joint names

If you have at least 6 of the above (e.g. 2 council tax, two utility bills, two bank statements) covering a period of 2 years, you will have good chances of succeeding.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.