ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unpaid leave and salary calculation

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lainybug
United Kingdom

Unpaid leave and salary calculation

Post by lainybug » Mon May 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Looking for some advice please...

If someone started a new job in December - they were on an hourly rate during their probation month, and earned 1700. They were then made salaried in January and their annual gross salary became £20000 (around £1660 a month). But...in May they will only receive around £1330 gross due to taking one week's unpaid leave...

Will they still be able to meet the financial requirements for their partner's spouse visa, or will they have to wait another 6 months to show they've earned over £1550 every month?

Thank you!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Unpaid leave and salary calculation

Post by seagul » Mon May 27, 2019 9:54 pm

Because of becoming a salaried person his lowest wages figure during the last 6 months will be considered which is £1330×12= £15960. Financial requirement won't be met but if either of the partner possess some savings then the shortfall can be covered without waiting for next 6 months. Or if the none-UK partner is legally working in UK then his/her income can be combined too to cover the shortfall.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Heythereitsme
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Heythereitsme » Tue May 28, 2019 11:25 am

I was in a similar situation, I was on salaried income but I took a month of unpaid leave.

My solicitor advised that I wait 6 months before applying.
He also said I could have applied with the unpaid leave as it really depends on whether the case worker applies the rules strictly or not so it depends on whether you want to take the risk

I waited for 6 months and got the visa.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue May 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Heythereitsme wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:25 am

He also said I could have applied with the unpaid leave as it really depends on whether the case worker applies the rules strictly or not so it depends on whether you want to take the risk
It may only work if the monthly income is varying despite being a salaried person e.g by undertaking overtime. In that case the applicant can request to caseworker to calculate his income through none-salaried method because his/her wages is varying. However, if the wages remain identical then it is impossible to claim that.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Heythereitsme
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Heythereitsme » Tue May 28, 2019 10:45 pm

seagul wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:22 pm
Heythereitsme wrote:

It may only work if the monthly income is varying despite being a salaried person e.g by undertaking overtime. In that case the applicant can request to caseworker to calculate his income through none-salaried method because his/her wages is varying. However, if the wages remain identical then it is impossible to claim that.

Mine was the same salary each month apart from two months (one being the unpaid leave month) but my solicitor still said I had a 50/50 chance.

I know someone who got a visa despite not earning £18,600 ( her employment letter stated she earned 18600 but if you worked out her earnings using payslips it was only 18000).. it’s all luck

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue May 28, 2019 11:01 pm

Heythereitsme wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:45 pm
seagul wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:22 pm
Heythereitsme wrote:

Mine was the same salary each month apart from two months (one being the unpaid leave month) but my solicitor still said I had a 50/50 chance.

I know someone who got a visa despite not earning £18,600 ( her employment letter stated she earned 18600 but if you worked out her earnings using payslips it was only 18000).. it’s all luck
There is no discretion and mostly no luck gets played if the income is short or the documents doesn't cover complete 6/12 months. Others full & exact circumstances can never be known by others as the said person might have covered by none-salaried route or to his balance in bank statement a sensible caseworker might have considered to cover the shortfall.