ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship application before or after name change (married to a British National)?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sma524
Newly Registered
Mood:
Greece

British citizenship application before or after name change (married to a British National)?

Post by sma524 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:29 pm

Hello all

Summarising: I have already my Permanent residence issued with my maiden name and now I would like to apply for the full British citizenship, however, a couple of months ago I got married to a British Citizen whose name I would like to change mine to at some point.

My question is: would it be OK if I changed it firstly and then apply for the British Citizenship or is it best to change it after I obtain it? What's the quickest and easiest process?

Thanks for your time and help in advance.

S

guru1s
European Union

Re: British citizenship application before or after name change (married to a British National)?

Post by guru1s » Tue May 28, 2019 3:46 pm

You can change your name in your passport now and apply for citizenship under your married name, however, do not forget to include your marriage certificate, as you will be asked to provide your previous names and supporting documents.

sma524
Newly Registered
Mood:
Greece

Dual nationality/citizenship & name change - Greek-British

Post by sma524 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi there

I am a Greek citizen but I have been living in the UK since 2011. I have obtained the Permanent Residence, recently got married to a British citizen and I am also in the process of applying for the British citizenship as well. I am aware that Greece is one of the countries that allow you to have a second nationality on top.

At some point, I haven't decided yet if I do it before or after the British citizenship application, I would like to change my name to my husband's one but I am not sure if I will be able to keep my Greek passport with my maiden name at the same time with the British passport with my marriage name?

In other words, having two nationalities does it mean that I will also have two surnames or will I have to register my English new surname to the Greek authorities as well and change my Greek passport and ID card?

Thanks

S

sma524
Newly Registered
Mood:
Greece

Re: British citizenship application before or after name change (married to a British National)?

Post by sma524 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:05 pm

Thanks for your reply. If I may ask: how can I verify whether your information is valid or not? Where did you read this or do you just know it from past experience? In case I have further similar questions in the future, I am not sure who do I contact from the official gov.co.uk side of things?

Springie
United Kingdom

Post by Springie » Wed May 29, 2019 3:58 pm

The UK passport people do not allow you to have two passports in two different names. They will ask you to change your Greek passport to your married name before they'll issue you with a UK passport in your married name (you'll have to send your Greek passport to them when applying for first British passport).

See these threads:

british-citizenship/new-policy-regardin ... 16754.html

british-citizenship/passport-refused-un ... 83170.html

sma524
Newly Registered
Mood:
Greece

Post by sma524 » Wed May 29, 2019 4:02 pm

Thank you. So I can keep both nationalities but with one name.