ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

moshaughnessy
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by moshaughnessy » Thu May 30, 2019 6:46 pm

Hello,

I live in New York City and submitted my FBR application in September 2018. I got a receipt and application number right away, and then not a peep.

I am concerned about timing now because I will be moving in July, and my current post office is one of the lower rungs of hell.

Has anyone who submitted in September gotten any further?

Any insights are much appreciated.

MaryO

usczkat
Mood:
United States of America

Post by usczkat » Thu May 30, 2019 9:09 pm

Hi MaryO,

I am waiting to hear still as well, sent my application in August, got receipt confirmation by email Aug 23rd, no word since then.

usczkat
Mood:
United States of America

Post by usczkat » Thu May 30, 2019 9:12 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:16 pm
Sulla wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:53 am
LesMalouinettes wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:21 am
Good to hear Sulla! I for one will miss your expertise and insights on this message board.
Oh, I won't be calling it a day just yet. I still have to wait to actually get the passport. Besides, it will be nice to be around when everyone else's journey finally comes to an end and they get their good news. When I say this I especially mean Michael. I have been reading his posts since last September and I know it really means a lot to him. It would also be nice to see Jaxx get confirmation that the embassy have actually received his document set. He was been waiting for eons on that.
Thanks! Just over 9 months now
Me too, I just wasn't aware that there was this awesome board where we could be waiting together.

usczkat
Mood:
United States of America

Post by usczkat » Thu May 30, 2019 9:26 pm

LesMalouinettes wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:05 am
Pumps100 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:17 am
Hi I'm posting to record my current timeline to help others gauge where they are in the FBR process.

25/8/2018 - Applied online & sent documents to Embassy of Ireland in London.

29/8/2018 - Acknowledgement by email "up to six months to process".
Thanks Ian, Mine was received in Dublin 27/08/18. Will be interesting to see who is approved first and how big the gap between is...
We are close, I got confirmation Aug 23, 2018 that my application was received.

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:34 pm

moshaughnessy wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:46 pm
Hello,

I live in New York City and submitted my FBR application in September 2018. I got a receipt and application number right away, and then not a peep.

I am concerned about timing now because I will be moving in July, and my current post office is one of the lower rungs of hell.

MaryO
MaryO

Give the FBR in Co.Dublin a call to ask for your return address to be changed on the application, once and if you know where your new address will be. If there is any issue with the previous idea then you could ask for your FBR to be sent to the Irish consulate of NYC but I don't know of anyone having their FBR sent to a consulate or Embassy before just an idea.

Good luck

Lee

amcbamcb
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amcbamcb » Thu May 30, 2019 11:04 pm

usczkat wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:09 pm
Hi MaryO,

I am waiting to hear still as well, sent my application in August, got receipt confirmation by email Aug 23rd, no word since then.
Just received my children's FBR approval just now in the mail! I submitted from NY to Dublin on August 8, 2018 and today is May 30, 2019!

amcbamcb
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amcbamcb » Thu May 30, 2019 11:04 pm

moshaughnessy wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:46 pm
Hello,

MaryO
Just received my children's FBR approval just now in the mail! I submitted from NY to Dublin on August 8, 2018 and today is May 30, 2019!

amcbamcb
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amcbamcb » Thu May 30, 2019 11:06 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Sulla wrote:
LesMalouinettes wrote:
Good to hear Sulla! I for one will miss your expertise and insights on this message board.
Oh, I won't be calling it a day just yet. I still have to wait to actually get the passport. Besides, it will be nice to be around when everyone else's journey finally comes to an end and they get their good news. When I say this I especially mean Michael. I have been reading his posts since last September and I know it really means a lot to him. It would also be nice to see Jaxx get confirmation that the embassy have actually received his document set. He was been waiting for eons on that.

usczkat
Mood:
United States of America

Post by usczkat » Thu May 30, 2019 11:18 pm

amcbamcb wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:06 pm
Michael123 wrote:
Sulla wrote:
LesMalouinettes wrote:
Yay!! Congrats, exciting... mailed mine Aug 11, they rcvd Aug 23. When did they receive yours?

amcbamcb
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amcbamcb » Thu May 30, 2019 11:30 pm

They received mine August 8, 2018.....sorry my wording in the previous post was a little confusing--was too excited! Lol....

amcbamcb
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amcbamcb » Thu May 30, 2019 11:30 pm

usczkat wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:18 pm
amcbamcb wrote:
Michael123 wrote:
Sulla wrote:

Yay!! Congrats, exciting... mailed mine Aug 11, they rcvd Aug 23. When did they receive yours?
They received mine August 8, 2018.....sorry my wording in the previous post was a little confusing--was too excited! Lol....

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Thu May 30, 2019 11:34 pm

amcbamcb wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:30 pm
usczkat wrote:
amcbamcb wrote:
Michael123 wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS! Can you tell us the DATE of Entry into FBR? It should be listed on the Cert.
Also, did they return ALL the original Documents?
Good Luck on the Passport Applications.

amcbamcb
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amcbamcb » Thu May 30, 2019 11:43 pm

upliam wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:34 pm
amcbamcb wrote:
usczkat wrote:
amcbamcb wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS! Can you tell us the DATE of Entry into FBR? It should be listed on the Cert.
Also, did they return ALL the original Documents?
Good Luck on the Passport Applications.
Thank you! Date of Entry was May 17, 2019. Yes, they returned everything!

usczkat
Mood:
United States of America

Post by usczkat » Thu May 30, 2019 11:46 pm

@amcbamcb, where do you live in US?

LesMalouinettes
Mood:
France

Post by LesMalouinettes » Fri May 31, 2019 12:31 am

amcbamcb wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:43 pm
You have no idea how much I hold onto any piece of positive news, no matter how small. Thank you so much for posting about your experience!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri May 31, 2019 2:04 am

amcbamcb wrote:
Congratulations Amcbamcb on making it through the FBR process!! You are the first August applicant (that we know of) from the United states to hear some good news in quite some time. I hope everyone else will take heart from this. I have updated the list of August applicants I made previously to reflect this and include previous omissions. If I missed anyone else, let me know please.

August 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.

Sean – received August 2nd (Added to FBR December 19th 2018)
Spav – received August 3rd (Added to FBR December 11th 2018)
Amcbamcb – received August 8th (Added to FBR May 17th 2019)
Sulla – received August 14th (Added to FBR Nov 28th 2018)
LeifRNR – received August 14th / Pending
Laurie – received August 15th / Pending
Michael – received August 21st / Pending
Upliam _ received August 22nd / Pending
USczkat – received August 23rd / Pending
Pumps100 – received August 29th / Pending
Nydccub – received August 31st / Pending

There is also Cindy who has been waiting since June 2018. From the list above, all are applicants from the United States with the exception of me (China) and Pumps100 (U.K.).

Jacqui309
United Kingdom

Post by Jacqui309 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:40 am

Sulla wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:04 am
amcbamcb wrote:
Congratulations Amcbamcb on making it through the FBR process!! You are the first August applicant (that we know of) from the United states to hear some good news in quite some time. I hope everyone else will take heart from this. I have updated the list of August applicants I made previously to reflect this and include previous omissions. If I missed anyone else, let me know please.

August 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.

Mine was sent late April 2018 and I received an acknowledgment on 15 May 2018. It was sent to London
Sean – received August 2nd (Added to FBR December 19th 2018)
Spav – received August 3rd (Added to FBR December 11th 2018)
Amcbamcb – received August 8th (Added to FBR May 17th 2019)
Sulla – received August 14th (Added to FBR Nov 28th 2018)
LeifRNR – received August 14th / Pending
Laurie – received August 15th / Pending
Michael – received August 21st / Pending
Upliam _ received August 22nd / Pending
USczkat – received August 23rd / Pending
Pumps100 – received August 29th / Pending
Nydccub – received August 31st / Pending

There is also Cindy who has been waiting since June 2018. From the list above, all are applicants from the United States with the exception of me (China) and Pumps100 (U.K.).

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Fri May 31, 2019 12:15 pm

Melly_G wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:05 pm
This morning the chap told me that I should not expect to get anything back for at least a year from that date and I may well have to wait until next year! He told me to check back at the end of the summer again but that they were completely overwhelmed with applications and that anyone who had applied in 2018 had chosen a really bad time and that I should have applied a year earlier!

WOW! He really said that?! Sorry but I do not think that is a very helpful statement for them to make.

I applied late because it took a while to get all the documents and then thinking I had them all and re-reading what was required and realising I needed to get more. Then I knew I was moving overseas and thought it would be better to wait until after the move rather than confuse things, had the timescale of 6 months (that is still stated on the website) I would have it all back by now.

Mary O

Like you I am also now changing address, I will once I have a moving date (have a provisional one at the moment) give the DFA a call and ask them to change it, ask if I also need to inform the local embassy whom it was all sent through and I assume will be returning it via them too and perhaps find out where my application is.

Like you my concern is getting everything back, the postal service here is not the best

I haven't even received any form of confirmation of receipt of documents at all, from the embassy or the DFA.

I do agree with Sulla that the demand should have been planned for better, as it has been said a lot of people didn't believe/hoped brexit wouldn't happen (yes I will include myself in that too) and it should have been obvious that there would be an increase in applications after all this was the result of a vote nearly 3 years ago now so it isn't a new thing that they couldn't predict really. I realise that it costs money to employ and train staff but surely in the long run it would be beneficial to them too and take some of the load off them.

I do appreciate they are overloaded with applications as well as passport applications/renewals but to turn around and say well you should have applied earlier really isn't a helpful response at all when it takes time to gather all the documents together for a start and also the costs involved.

Anyway great to also see some positive news and congratulations to those who have received FBR's this week :)

nick1066
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nick1066 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:25 pm

I'm in the middle of applying for a passport from the UK. My "reward" for reaching the 72nd working day turnaround date? A request for more information.........

Unable to be parted from my UK passport or driving licence for such a long time I had my witness certify a copy of my licence. I know with absolute certainty that this was included with my application yet according to the chatline operative, no such paper was scanned into their system. There is no way to argue against this so I have now had to send my actual driving licence into the unknown and hope to hell they don't lose it again.

In hindsight I would have asked my witness to certify two copies and place the other randomly into the pack. Can't hurt.

Interestingly, at this stage you get a name and phone number of a staff member (their phone goes straight to voicemail of course) but with a warning that they wont deal with your application when it's returned!

sqimandy
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sqimandy » Fri May 31, 2019 4:40 pm

Hello, patient FBR-ers.

I've been lurking on this board (and taking some comfort from it) for a while and thought it time I post to share.

I'm a UK citizen with the right to apply for Irish citizenship by descent via Irish grandparents.

I send my FBR application to the Dublin embassy in mid-September 2018, and it was confirmed as received on 27 Sept 2018. Since then, I've heard nothing.

The prospect of sitting on hold for hours waiting to be told that my application was in progress (or, worse, had been rejected by the notification email got lost) was too stressful so I put off asking for any updates.

Today I finally got around to calling, and have 2 bits of news:
  • Try calling the phone number last thing on a Friday. I was 2nd in line and waited under 5 minutes to speak to someone.
  • Applications from September 2018 are still not being processed. Processing is expected to be completed by the end of September 2019.
Whether or not that's accurate, I do not know. But thought the information may help others. I'll post again if I ever hear any more.

Good luck to all!

Jacqui309
United Kingdom

Post by Jacqui309 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:24 pm

sqimandy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:40 pm
Hello, patient FBR-ers.

I've been lurking on this board (and taking some comfort from it) for a while and thought it time I post to share.

I'm a UK citizen with the right to apply for Irish citizenship by descent via Irish grandparents.

I send my FBR application to the Dublin embassy in mid-September 2018, and it was confirmed as received on 27 Sept 2018. Since then, I've heard nothing.

The prospect of sitting on hold for hours waiting to be told that my application was in progress (or, worse, had been rejected by the notification email got lost) was too stressful so I put off asking for any updates.

Today I finally got around to calling, and have 2 bits of news:
  • Try calling the phone number last thing on a Friday. I was 2nd in line and waited under 5 minutes to speak to someone.
  • Applications from September 2018 are still not being processed. Processing is expected to be completed by the end of September 2019.
Whether or not that's accurate, I do not know. But thought the information may help others. I'll post again if I ever hear any more.

Good luck to all!
Mine was sent in late April 2018 and I received acknowledgement on 15 May 2018 and still I wait.....

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri May 31, 2019 11:46 pm

Obie wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:21 pm
littlerr wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:41 pm
fvigaud wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:26 pm
I suspect that people simply didn't believe (myself included) that Brexit could/would really happen. So anyone that didn't rush to apply after the referendum only recently got into the panic and applied in 2018/nowi...
The next prime minister Boris Johnson is sure about Brexit :)
Then again he is sure about many things like the 350millon for the NHS every week and all the other nonsense that comes of his mouth.
Obie / other Mods

I had a post deleted yesterday which referred to the content of littlerr's post. I do not know which Mod took this action and I am only asking you as you were the most recently active Mod on this forum. I acknowledge that my comments on the member of parliament for Uxbridge and South Ruislip were political. However, they were certainly no more political than the post made by littlerr or yourself. My question is: why was my reply deleted (and only my reply) while the original political statements made by others were allowed to remain? Surely either such remarks are permissible or they are not.

amcbamcb
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amcbamcb » Fri May 31, 2019 11:53 pm

usczkat wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:46 pm
@amcbamcb, where do you live in US?
New York!

amcbamcb
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amcbamcb » Fri May 31, 2019 11:56 pm

LesMalouinettes wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:31 am
amcbamcb wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:43 pm
You have no idea how much I hold onto any piece of positive news, no matter how small. Thank you so much for posting about your experience!
Good luck! Hopefully, you will hear soon!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:04 am

nick1066 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:25 pm
Unable to be parted from my UK passport or driving licence for such a long time I had my witness certify a copy of my licence. I know with absolute certainty that this was included with my application yet according to the chatline operative, no such paper was scanned into their system. There is no way to argue against this so I have now had to send my actual driving licence into the unknown and hope to hell they don't lose it again.
Sorry to hear that. This will probably alarm Jaxx. Until now, there had been no known instance (on this thread) of the DFA actually losing documents. At least it was not the FBR section.

Sending your actual driving licence does seem risky. When I applied for FBR and for the passport the embassy asked to see a passport from another country. However, they simply copied it and handed it back.