ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling on travel document whilst awaiting naturlization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Shah_123
Newly Registered
England

Travelling on travel document whilst awaiting naturlization

Post by Shah_123 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi All,
Just joined few days ago but used to follow this website. I must say very useful forum. I have query about travel. I have applied naturlization after one year into ILR (was on 5 year refugee status). I have applied last month and got biometrics done on 2/05/19.
I have blue convention travel document and want travel to Europe next month and in mid july as well. My solicitor saying i should not travel whilst awiating naturlization/BC. Is that a fair advice? Any thoughts? Does this affect my naturlization application duration.(can they see at airport from reference No on ILR card that ive applied naturlization and should not travel etc).

Many Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Travelling on travel document whilst awaiting naturlization

Post by alterhase58 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:12 pm

Shah_123 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:06 pm
Hi All,
Just joined few days ago but used to follow this website. I must say very useful forum. I have query about travel. I have applied naturlization after one year into ILR (was on 5 year refugee status). I have applied last month and got biometrics done on 2/05/19.
I have blue convention travel document and want travel to Europe next month and in mid july as well. My solicitor saying i should not travel whilst awiating naturlization/BC. Is that a fair advice? Any thoughts? Does this affect my naturlization application duration.(can they see at airport from reference No on ILR card that ive applied naturlization and should not travel etc).

Many Thanks
You are free to travel,using your current documents - not sure why your solicitor told you otherwise. Just be aware that UKVI could still contact you for queries or further documents. No one can see your application status.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Mon May 27, 2019 1:22 am

Your solicitor is wrong. You are free to travel as normal.
A BC application is NOT an immigration application so unlike a usual immigration/residence application, it will not withdrawn if you leave the UK. Maybe he is mixing the two up :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Shah_123
Newly Registered
England

Post by Shah_123 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:37 am

Thank you alterhase and zimba for clarifying it. I thought the same but do not want to take any risk so thought to aak here.
How long should i wait to see if UKV1 can contact me for morw documents? I had biometrics and documents scanned through new system on 02/05/019 in birmingham. Also, whats rough duration of getting BC application approved these days if you applied after 1 year into ILR + 5 year refugee status( serving as a doctor this whole time and no criminal offence).

I know 2 more questions in reply but will much appreciate your guidance guys.

Many Tnx 🤗

hermanthegerman
Germany

Post by hermanthegerman » Mon May 27, 2019 12:33 pm

There are some timeline threads on the forum. Times vary widely, however the home office says they will let you know within 8 weeks if it will take them longer than that and most people appear to have a decision within 8 weeks or a little more.

Even if they ask you for documents you are unlikely to have to reply immediately if you are away so unless you are going for months I would not worry too much.

Shah_123
Newly Registered
England

Post by Shah_123 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:59 pm

hermanthegerman wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:33 pm
There are some timeline threads on the forum. Times vary widely, however the home office says they will let you know within 8 weeks if it will take them longer than that and most people appear to have a decision within 8 weeks or a little more.

Even if they ask you for documents you are unlikely to have to reply immediately if you are away so unless you are going for months I would not worry too much.
Thank you hermanthegerman. Much appreciated

Esen
Newly Registered
India

Post by Esen » Wed May 29, 2019 5:04 am

Hi there,
I applied for my bc this month and asked the lady who was submitting my documents this question and her answer was - no you should not travel while your application is under process. If you must it is best to inform the home office and take their advice on a case to case basis. She said she heard of a lady who had left for India and was stopped when she tried to get back to England and was denied entry for 2 years.
As helpful as this forum is unless a person has done it and has experience I wouldn’t take it as gospel. No offence to anyone as it would seem logical if you have your passport and BRP returned then you can travel. But it isn’t all black and white.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:09 am

Esen wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:04 am
Hi there,
I applied for my bc this month and asked the lady who was submitting my documents this question and her answer was - no you should not travel while your application is under process. If you must it is best to inform the home office and take their advice on a case to case basis. She said she heard of a lady who had left for India and was stopped when she tried to get back to England and was denied entry for 2 years.
As helpful as this forum is unless a person has done it and has experience I wouldn’t take it as gospel. No offence to anyone as it would seem logical if you have your passport and BRP returned then you can travel. But it isn’t all black and white.
The no travelling only applies to applications for visas or ILR under the UK immigration rules. It does not apply to British citizenship under the UK nationality laws.

Note also that the sopra staff are not immigration advisors or HO staff, they are only a facilitation agent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hermanthegerman
Germany

Post by hermanthegerman » Wed May 29, 2019 6:35 am

I have travelled to Austria and Germany while my application was being processed with no problems at all.

Nerazzuri
United Kingdom

Post by Nerazzuri » Wed May 29, 2019 1:15 pm

Like hermanthegerman, I too travelled multiple times.

The only thing to take precautions about when you travel is if you are away for more than 2 weeks in a single trip. This is because it is possible for the Home Office to send you a letter and ask you to respond within 2 weeks. If you miss that letter while you are away, you application may get rejected.

So if you travel for more than 2 weeks, you could make sure someone else can get your mail during that period and let you know if there's a letter from Home Office.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed May 29, 2019 1:16 pm

Esen wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:04 am
Hi there,
That advice as I explained above only applies to non-EU applicants applying for immigration based applications where the immigration act applies. UKVCAS processes immigration applications most of the time.
Nationality application is however NOT an immigration application and is covered by nationality law (not immigration act or rules). I suggest not to seek advice from people who know very little on these matters like the UKVCAS staff :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Esen
Newly Registered
India

Post by Esen » Wed May 29, 2019 10:45 pm

Good to see people have experience of travelling while awaiting naturalisation and have had no problems.
Nothing more need be said.

Shah_123
Newly Registered
England

Post by Shah_123 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:21 pm

Nerazzuri wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:15 pm

The only thing to take precautions about when you travel is if you are away for more than 2 weeks in a single trip. This is because it is possible for the Home Office to send you a letter and ask you to respond within 2 weeks. If you miss that letter while you are away, you application may get rejected.

So if you travel for more than 2 weeks, you could make sure someone else can get your mail during that period and let you know if there's a letter from Home Office.
My BC application is non EU. I have blue refugee convention travel document and i only want to travel Europe at the moment. Would you recommend it given that you did travel multiple times. I just got bit cautious now after whats been said above :-/

Nerazzuri
United Kingdom

Post by Nerazzuri » Thu May 30, 2019 12:30 am

Shah_123 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:21 pm
Nerazzuri wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:15 pm

My BC application is non EU. I have blue refugee convention travel document and i only want to travel Europe at the moment. Would you recommend it given that you did travel multiple times. I just got bit cautious now after whats been said above :-/
As multiple people have said so far, there is no requirement for you to be in the UK during the processing, unlike immigration applications. So long as you are not away so long that you miss mail from the Home Office and fail to respond to them in time, then you can travel as you please.

Shah_123
Newly Registered
England

Post by Shah_123 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:57 pm

Thanks alot guys. You guys are very helpful. Time to pack bag and get going lol.
Seriously appreciate all logical replies.
Do we need visa on blue convention travel document to travel to europe? They have changed TD last year. Previously it used to stay which country you can travel( i been to spain, sitzerland and greece without Visa but that was 3 years ago).

Regards

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri May 31, 2019 2:26 am

Depends. Each country has its own visa rules an may or may not allow entry with Blue passport but most EU countries do allow visa free visit.

Springie
United Kingdom

Post by Springie » Fri May 31, 2019 3:56 pm

Zimba wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:26 am
... but most EU countries do allow visa free visit.
Not quite right there, Zimba, sorry.

I travelled to (or wanted to travel to) various EU countries while on a TD and it looked like this: Finland and Fermany didn't ask for a visa; France, Italy, Cyprus and Czechia wanted a visa. It varies A LOT and the only possible recommendation is to enquire directly with the embassy or consulate of the EU country. Some of them will have the answer on their websites in the FAQ sections and some won't have any info (email those).

Examples:
Germany (under Holders of British Passports/Travel Documents): https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/visa/do-you-need-a-visa
Italy: https://conslondra.esteri.it/consolato_ ... ument.html

Shah_123
Newly Registered
England

Post by Shah_123 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:56 pm

Springie wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:56 pm
Zimba wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:26 am
... but most EU countries do allow visa free visit.
Not quite right there, Zimba, sorry.

I travelled to (or wanted to travel to) various EU countries while on a TD and it looked like this: Finland and Fermany didn't ask for a visa;
France, Italy, Cyprus and Czechia wanted a visa. It varies
A LOT and the only possible recommendation is to enquire directly with the embassy or consulate of the EU country. Some of them will have the answer on their websites in the FAQ sections and some won't have any info (email those).

Examples:
Germany (under Holders of British Passports/Travel Documents): https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/visa/do-you-need-a-visa
Italy: https://conslondra.esteri.it/consolato_ ... ument.html
Sometimes theres ambiguity. I called france embassy and explained the situation and asked if i can travel through euro train etc. He said you dont need visa on TD to travel to france.
What would you follow in such scenario? A website print out saying no Visa required or would you follow embassy guy over phone?

Springie
United Kingdom

Post by Springie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:59 pm

I'd follow the rule I had in writing, so definitely not guy over the phone.

Requirements change over time too. Some years ago, Czechia didn't need a visa, then they went and added the requirement.

Shah_123
Newly Registered
England

Post by Shah_123 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:36 pm

Springie wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:59 pm

Requirements change over time too. Some years ago, Czechia didn't need a visa, then they went and added the requirement.
Thnx Springie. I am planning trip to France. I emailed them and they were very propmt with response. They confirm no need of visa if take valid blue convention travel document pluse residence permit. They need to see these two as a proof of permanent residence.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:44 am

Shah_123 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:36 pm
Springie wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:59 pm

Thnx Springie. I am planning trip to France. I emailed them and they were very propmt with response. They confirm no need of visa if take valid blue convention travel document pluse residence permit. They need to see these two as a proof of permanent residence.
You can travel to France on a blue TD.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Shah_123
Newly Registered
England

Post by Shah_123 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:10 am

]

You can travel to France on a blue TD.
[/quote]

What about germany? Do you beed visa on refugee blue convention travel document? I have a course to attend.
Thnx

Alseraj
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Alseraj » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:04 am

I travelled to Germany many times by blue travel document without any visa

Shah_123
Newly Registered
England

Post by Shah_123 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:40 am

Alseraj wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:04 am
I travelled to Germany many times by blue travel document without any visa
I am looking at Croatia holidays. Can i travel on blue convention travel document without visa to Croatia or Portugal? I have emailed croatia embassy but no reply yet.
Regards