ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No Surname issue

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

farhantahir786
Pakistan

No Surname issue

Post by farhantahir786 » Fri May 31, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi

I hope you are well.

I am getting married later in 2019 in Pakistan. My Wife completed her IELTs test using her ID card as proof of ID. My wife only has one name (no family name - Nadra recommended removing her family name as her degrees only had her first name listed...). On her IELTs test, it will say her first name (XXX) and the last name field will simply have a dot in there.

Speaking to some people, I was advised that when it comes to the Pakistani passport, it's likely that the given name field will be blank, and my wife's given name will be in the last name field. Will this cause an issue with the English test when we apply (e.g. different ordering of names)?

I know the lack of a surname will be an issue later in the UK (I think!). We'll cross that bridge when we get there and will update BRP etc with my name...

Thanks
Farhan

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: No Surname issue

Post by ALKB » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:28 pm

farhantahir786 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:44 pm
Hi

I hope you are well.

I am getting married later in 2019 in Pakistan. My Wife completed her IELTs test using her ID card as proof of ID. My wife only has one name (no family name - Nadra recommended removing her family name as her degrees only had her first name listed...). On her IELTs test, it will say her first name (XXX) and the last name field will simply have a dot in there.

Speaking to some people, I was advised that when it comes to the Pakistani passport, it's likely that the given name field will be blank, and my wife's given name will be in the last name field. Will this cause an issue with the English test when we apply (e.g. different ordering of names)?

I know the lack of a surname will be an issue later in the UK (I think!). We'll cross that bridge when we get there and will update BRP etc with my name...

Thanks
Farhan
My husband had horrible issues in several countries ( we moved a lot for his job) because his name was spelled slightly different in his degrees/on his passport. Having his degrees re-issued in the correct name was easy compared to all the other issues caused by the discrepancy.

Removing a family name from official ID seems ludicrous! Contact her university and have the degrees corrected and sort both her ID card as well as passport before leaving Pakistan.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:01 pm

ALKB wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:28 pm
farhantahir786 wrote:
Hi

I hope you are well.

Thanks
Farhan
My husband had horrible issues in several countries ( we moved a lot for his job) because his name was spelled slightly different in his degrees/on his passport. Having his degrees re-issued in the correct name was easy compared to all the other issues caused by the discrepancy.

Removing a family name from official ID seems ludicrous! Contact her university and have the degrees corrected and sort both her ID card as well as passport before leaving Pakistan.
Correct. And also when one partner changes its maiden name with married name without assessing the inconveniences that will arise in future over its previously gained degrees/certificate which also need to be reissued in new name. And in many countries re-issuance of degrees even consume more time than spouse visa.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Montana2323
United Kingdom

Post by Montana2323 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:12 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:01 pm
ALKB wrote:
farhantahir786 wrote:
Hi

I hope you are well.

Thanks
Farhan

Correct. And also when one partner changes its maiden name with married name without assessing the inconveniences that will arise in future over its previously gained degrees/certificate which also need to be reissued in new name. And in many countries re-issuance of degrees even consume more time than spouse visa.
Are you suggesting that once a surname is changed after marriage the name on degree needs changing too?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:31 pm

Montana2323 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:12 pm
seagul wrote:
ALKB wrote:
farhantahir786 wrote:
Hi

I hope you are well.

Thanks
Farhan

Are you suggesting that once a surname is changed after marriage the name on degree needs changing too?
Off course. And under spouse visa its not mandatory to change your maiden name into married name.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:35 pm

Montana2323 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:12 pm
seagul wrote:
ALKB wrote:
farhantahir786 wrote:
Hi

I hope you are well.

Thanks
Farhan

No, the name on the degree does NOT have to be changed after marriage.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:37 pm

Changing name on degrees/other qualifications is not mandatory for visa purposes but a lot job requires that otherwise can be ignored.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:38 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:37 pm
Changing name on degrees/other qualifications is not mandatory for visa purposes but a lot job requires that otherwise can be ignored.
A marriage cert is evidence enough that a name has changed!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:21 pm

seagul wrote:
And in many countries re-issuance of degrees even consume more time than spouse visa.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:24 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:21 pm
seagul wrote:
And in many countries re-issuance of degrees even consume more time than spouse visa.
Also if someone is relying on NARIC comparability statement to meet the English language requirement then if the degree is not yet updated with married name then NARIC will more likely advise to update the name on it. Also many employers don't accept degrees in old name.

Note: if neither the degree is being used for immigration purposes nor intended to use for employment/further studies purposes then changing name maybe ignored.