ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

At the Ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hamalt66
Member of Standing

At the Ceremony

Post by hamalt66 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:19 pm

Have some questions regarding the ceremony below, and would appreciate your answers if you have just been to one:

1) What is the difference between Oath of allegiance and Affirmation of allegiance?

2) How to decide which one to choose?

3) Will we be reading the whole oath, or will an official from the council be reading it to us and we just say "I/we swear?"

4) If we will be reading the whole oath paragraph, do we have to remember it by heart or can we bring it printed on a paper to read from?

5) Will we sing the national anthem, or will it be played on a sound system?

Any further information will be highly appreciated.

parabola5552
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: At the Ceremony

Post by parabola5552 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:23 pm

1) What is the difference between Oath of allegiance and Affirmation of allegiance?

One is religious (oath), the other is not.

Personal choice, there is no difference in the end.

3) Will we be reading the whole oath, or will an official from the council be reading it to us and we just say "I/we swear?"

The person will ask you to repeat after them. Think of it as like a marriage ceremony, same principle. Do not have to remember anything.

No singinging was involved in mine. There was no anthem played. Just a photo of the queen was present

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:32 pm

parabola5552 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:23 pm

The person will ask you to repeat after them. Think of it as like a marriage ceremony, same principle. Do not have to remember anything.

No singinging was involved in mine. There was no anthem played. Just a photo of the queen was present
Many thanks for your feedback. I wonder if this is the same across all councils.

I once read somewhere that there will be singing of the national anthem, but not sure if it was supposed to be sung along a tape that will be playing, or we needed to sing it ourselves.

Maybe it's different from council to council!

parabola5552
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by parabola5552 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:36 pm

hamalt66 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:32 pm
parabola5552 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:23 pm

Many thanks for your feedback. I wonder if this is the same across all councils.

I once read somewhere that there will be singing of the national anthem, but not sure if it was supposed to be sung along a tape that will be playing, or we needed to sing it ourselves.

Maybe it's different from council to council!
Mine was in Sheffield if that helps at all

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:48 pm

Many thanks parabola5552, much appreciated

guru1s
European Union

Post by guru1s » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:14 pm

hamalt66 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:19 pm
Have some questions regarding the ceremony below, and would appreciate your answers if you have just been to one:

Try to guess what a majority chooses, as you will be reading it aloud with all who has chosen the same

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:26 pm

guru1s wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:14 pm
hamalt66 wrote:

Try to guess what a majority chooses, as you will be reading it aloud with all who has chosen the same
I am planning on a private ceremony

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:02 pm

hamalt66 wrote:
One is an oath in the name of a deity or God (I swear that...). The other is a non-theistic (no reference to a deity or God) affirmation (I, do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that...).
hamalt66 wrote:
Entirely a matter of personal choice and conscience. People who tend to go for affirmation are generally followers of religions that forbid swearing in the name of God or of a non-theistic religion (such as Buddhism) or of no religion.

Both an oath and affirmation have the same legal consequences.

You will of course face similar choices if you were to be called as a witness in a court, for example.
hamalt66 wrote:
As mentioned above, you will repeat after the official.
hamalt66 wrote:
4) If we will be reading the whole oath paragraph, do we have to remember it by heart or can we bring it printed on a paper to read from?
At my council ceremony a few years ago, we were given a laminated printout to read from.
hamalt66 wrote:
We sang it at ours. An Australian and I were the only ones at the ceremony that I attended to know the words by heart. The rest read it off the laminated printout.

If you are becoming a citizen, I suggest that learning the national anthem is desirable. There are Youtube karaoke videos that you can practice with.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:22 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:02 pm
hamalt66 wrote:
One is an oath in the name of a deity or God (I swear that...). The other is a non-theistic (no reference to a deity or God) affirmation (I, do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that...).
hamalt66 wrote:
Entirely a matter of personal choice and conscience. People who tend to go for affirmation are generally followers of religions that forbid swearing in the name of God or of a non-theistic religion (such as Buddhism) or of no religion.

Both an oath and affirmation have the same legal consequences.

You will of course face similar choices if you were to be called as a witness in a court, for example.
hamalt66 wrote:
As mentioned above, you will repeat after the official.
hamalt66 wrote:
At my council ceremony a few years ago, we were given a laminated printout to read from.
hamalt66 wrote:
We sang it at ours. An Australian and I were the only ones at the ceremony that I attended to know the words by heart. The rest read it off the laminated printout.

If you are becoming a citizen, I suggest that learning the national anthem is desirable. There are Youtube karaoke videos that you can practice with.
Thank you Simon, much appreciated indeed