ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice needed: Moving house but still waiting for notification/BRP

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

stoli412
Newly Registered
United States of America

Advice needed: Moving house but still waiting for notification/BRP

Post by stoli412 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:25 am

Hi all, first post.

I recently applied for an extension to my FLR(M). My husband and I are having to move house because our landlord has decided to sell. Now I'm concerned about receiving my notification letter and BRP. I've set up mail redirection with Royal Mail, but from what I understand the BRP will come by courier. My landlord and lettings agent (xxxxx) aren't the nicest of people, so it's very unlikely they would tell me if a courier attempts a delivery.

I made my application online on 2 May and I attended my Sopra Steria centre appointment on 10 May, so I'm expecting notification/delivery any day now. We have to leave the property on Friday 14 June.

Any advice on what I should do to make sure I receive my BRP?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Advice needed: Moving house but still waiting for notification/BRP

Post by seagul » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:54 am

Update your new address with HO:

https://visa-address-update.service.gov.uk/
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

stoli412
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by stoli412 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:05 pm

Thanks. I was intending to update my address via that page once the move is complete, but I'm unsure if I should update it now whilst I have a decision pending. I'm just worried it will complicate or slow down the decision process.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:38 pm

stoli412 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:05 pm
. I'm just worried it will complicate or slow down the decision process.
No it won't slow down the process. Also your other apprehension is valid that BRP card which gets delivered by DX courier won't be covered through your royal mail redirection. Also keep in mind that redirection also not 100% effective as few letters still goes to old address. Try to update your new address with HO asap or request the agency/landlord to help you in that case.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:47 pm

We're you issued a Section 21 notice to vactae?? If yes, when did you receive and when does the 60 days notice end?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

stoli412
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by stoli412 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:29 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:47 pm
We're you issued a Section 21 notice to vactae?? If yes, when did you receive and when does the 60 days notice end?
We were served section 21 notice on 3 May, literally the day after I submitted my FLR(M) extension online. Our tenancy was scheduled to end on 12 July but we negotiated to end it early on 14 June. This is because it's difficult to find good rental properties in Manchester, so you have to be prepared to act as soon as you find something suitable, and we're not in a position to pay rent on two properties for 1-2 months, especially just after having the big expense of the visa and IHS fees.

Are you certain that updating my address with the HO now will not jeopardise my application in any way, and they will use the new address for my decision letter/BRP?

I've also read about people contacting DX directly to obtain a tracking number. I wonder if I could call them every day until I get the tracking number? Then at least I would know when it's coming and could make some sort of arrangement with the landlord?

Slightly off topic: I wish the HO would provide a way to track your application status. I think they do this for some applications made outside the UK, but not for ones made inside that I'm aware of?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:35 pm

We were served section 21 notice on 3 May, literally the day after I submitted my FLR(M) extension online. Our tenancy was scheduled to end on 12 July but we negotiated to end it early on 14 June. This is because it's difficult to find good rental properties in Manchester, so you have to be prepared to act as soon as you find something suitable, and we're not in a position to pay rent on two properties for 1-2 months, especially just after having the big expense of the visa and IHS fees.
Understandably. However the end date of the Section 21 notice does not end the tenancy. Only the court can do that, which if you choose not leave (as is your right), it will give you a lot more time, in excess of 6-8 weeks after the 60 days notice.

Is your deposit protected and have you been given the Prescribed Information per the housing Act?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

stoli412
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by stoli412 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:40 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:35 pm
Understandably. However the end date of the Section 21 notice does not end the tenancy. Only the court can do that, which if you choose not leave (as is your right), it will give you a lot more time, in excess of 6-8 weeks after the 60 days notice.

Is your deposit protected and have you been given the Prescribed Information per the housing Act?
Our initial 12-month agreement was scheduled to end on 12 July and the landlord chose not to renew it as he's selling the house. It's my understanding that he's perfectly within his rights to do this. But it's a moot point now as we're moving tomorrow and handing in the keys to the current property next Friday.

I'm just hoping that the BRP comes before the 14th but I want to know the best course of action if it doesn't.

Incidentally, we're only moving next door. By sheer luck the house next to us came up for rent 2 weeks after we got our notice, so we jumped on it. I wonder if I could put a note on the door to tell DX to come see us next door, haha.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:23 pm

Due to having vast experience in property related matters I will precisely advise you to leave property friendly on tenancy expiry without thinking about any court or other authorities because usually for buying/renting again in future the reference from previous estate agent & landlord will have significant affect. The reason I won't go in big detail because its immigration forum only. As stated earlier simply update your address with HO at above link and also keep redireaction running.

stoli412
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by stoli412 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:10 pm

seagul wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:23 pm
Due to having vast experience in property related matters I will precisely advise you to leave property friendly on tenancy expiry without thinking about any court or other authorities because usually for buying/renting again in future the reference from previous estate agent & landlord will have significant affect. The reason I won't go in big detail because its immigration forum only. As stated earlier simply update your address with HO at above link and also keep redireaction running.
I agree; it's not worth fighting with the landlord about even though it's been very stressful.

We sign the lease on the new property tomorrow. Once I have that I'll update my address with the HO. Thanks.

stoli412
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by stoli412 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:55 am

Just an update on this. As advised, I updated my address with the Home Office, which was confirmed on 10 Jun. My decision letter (dated 19 Jun) and BRP STILL went to my old address. Luckily I paid for mail redirection, so I got the decision letter. Then I was able to contact DX and arrange re-delivery of the BRP.

stoli412
Newly Registered
United States of America

Advice needed: ILR timeline for applying

Post by stoli412 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:17 pm

New question. Wasn't sure if it's OK to start a new topic so I'll post here

I want to get a head start on planning for my ILR, mainly so I can start saving for the fees now.

My first FLR(M) was granted 21 Oct 2016. I assume that means I'll be eligible to apply for my ILR after 60 months (21 Oct 2021). Here's my timeline:

FLR(M) granted: 21 Oct 2016
30 months: 21 Apr 2016
Applied for FLR(M) extension: 2 May 2019
1st BRP expired: 19 May 2019
FLR(M) extension granted: 19 Jun 2019
30 months: 19 Dec 2021
2nd BRP expires: 5 Jan 2022

I'm confused a bit by the expiration dates on my BRP. I didn't realise there was an additional ~1 month beyond the 30 months' leave to remain before the BRP expired. I made my extension application assuming I had to apply no more than 28 days before the BRP expiration date.

Are the Home Office going to hold against me any of the time between my initial 30 months and the time I was granted my extension and say it wasn't continuous?

Would I apply for ILR counting 60 months from my initial FLR(M), or 30 months from my extension?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:21 pm

I made my extension application assuming I had to apply no more than 28 days before the BRP expiration date.
You could have applied no sooner than within 28 days before reaching 30 months residence OR before your visa expires.
Are the Home Office going to hold against me any of the time between my initial 30 months and the time I was granted my extension and say it wasn't continuous?
No.
Would I apply for ILR counting 60 months from my initial FLR(M), or 30 months from my extension?
You can apply for ILR no sooner than within 28 days of the 5th anniversary of your first FLR(M) visa issue date, sometime towards the end of September 2021.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Advice needed: ILR timeline for applying

Post by seagul » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:31 pm

stoli412 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:17 pm

No because you was covered by section 3C that prevent the applicant to become overstayer and count that time. And you done very good planning by choosing to apply extension very close to expiry instead after 30 months.

stoli412
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by stoli412 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:46 pm

Thanks both for your replies. It sounds like I can make my ILR application any time between late September 2021 and when my BRP expires in January 2022. Now I can start planning for the fees and everything else I need. I'll definitely be budgeting for priority service because I can't take the long wait for a decision again, haha.