ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel While Waiting For British Passport Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

PedroF
Newly Registered
Portugal

Travel While Waiting For British Passport Application

Post by PedroF » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:26 am

Hi,

I currently hold a Portuguese passport and just had my British citizenship ceremony. I’ve applied for a British passport and sent my Portuguese passport along with the application to the home office. I need to travel in a couple of weeks from UK to Italy and was thinking of using my national ID card (Portuguese).

My British passport application is with the home office and I just got a text from them saying ‘We'll contact you by 05/02 if more info or an interview is required. Do not book travel until your passport is received.’

So my question is: I already booked travel prior to the application. Can I still travel using my ID card?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travel While Waiting For British Passport Application

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:05 pm

You are free to travel.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

PRcometrue
Newly Registered

Post by PRcometrue » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:04 pm

Hi I am the same, but I am non-eu, I won't have either British passport or original passport from another country or brp card, it means I can't travel at all??
I could apply for the second passport of my original nationality, but I won't have brp card, will have trouble at the border..??

Many thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:07 pm

PRcometrue wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:04 pm
Hi I am the same, but I am non-eu, I won't have either British passport or original passport from another country or brp card, it means I can't travel at all??
I could apply for the second passport of my original nationality, but I won't have brp card, will have trouble at the border..??

Many thanks!
Without evidence of your ILR BRP original card, how will you board a plan to even board a plane??

If you have applied for citizenship using the new service, surely you have your original documents?

What is your nationality?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

PRcometrue
Newly Registered

Post by PRcometrue » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:47 pm

Thank you so much for help.
I'm Taiwanese passport, I have received a ceremony letter this week, and the ceremony is on 12 July, I'm traveling 25/August. I'm thinking to apply for British passport and praying for getting it before I travel on 25th August in Europe, it's important.

If it does not arrive by then, I won't have any passport? either original Taiwanese passport, as it's with the application? i could apply for a second Taiwanese passport to travel, but I won't have brp card, or the brp card is invalid, this way won't work?

If I do attend the ceremony, can I not have to apply for the British passport immediately? can I use citizenship ceremony certificate and my Taiwanese passport to travel and come back to the UK?

Or Second, only attend the ceremony after I travel back in September 6th, postpone the ceremony, I'm still traveling with Taiwanese passport and ilr brp card, ceremony invitation letter.

Three ways what ch would be the solution??

Thank you so much!!!
CR001 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:07 pm
PRcometrue wrote:

Many thanks!
Without evidence of your ILR BRP original card, how will you board a plan to even board a plane??

If you have applied for citizenship using the new service, surely you have your original documents?

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Post by joeano353 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:57 pm

Dont panic. Apply on 12th July itself. And you should get ur UK passport by 25th July. Ample time before u travel in August.

Nerazzuri
United Kingdom

Post by Nerazzuri » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:04 am

PRcometrue wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:47 pm
I'm Taiwanese passport, I have received a ceremony letter this week, and the ceremony is on 12 July, I'm traveling 25/August. I'm thinking to apply for British passport and praying for getting it before I travel on 25th August in Europe, it's important.

If it does not arrive by then, I won't have any passport? either original Taiwanese passport, as it's with the application? i could apply for a second Taiwanese passport to travel, but I won't have brp card, or the brp card is invalid, this way won't work?

If I do attend the ceremony, can I not have to apply for the British passport immediately? can I use citizenship ceremony certificate and my Taiwanese passport to travel and come back to the UK?

Or Second, only attend the ceremony after I travel back in September 6th, postpone the ceremony, I'm still traveling with Taiwanese passport and ilr brp card, ceremony invitation letter.

Thank you so much!!!
CR001 wrote:
PRcometrue wrote:

Many thanks!

The moment you have your citizenship ceremony, your BRP becomes invalid so you can’t travel unless you have a British passport, or your foreign passport allows you visa free entry back into the UK. If you apply for a British passport on July 12, you’re likely to get your British passport by August 25, although, there is always a very, very tiny chance you don’t get it on time.

Your certificate of naturalisation is not a travel document, and would not be accepted by an airline, so you won’t be allowed to board a plane without a visa, BRP or visa-free eligible passport.

If you remain worried that your passport could take longer to arrive, you can call the council and ask to pay for a private ceremony on the earliest date possible. This could cost you up to £120.

PRcometrue
Newly Registered

Post by PRcometrue » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:34 am

Thank you so much, I will do so, post the application on the same date, asap.
joeano353 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:57 pm
Dont panic. Apply on 12th July itself. And you should get ur UK passport by 25th July. Ample time before u travel in August.

PRcometrue
Newly Registered

Post by PRcometrue » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:37 am

Thank you so much for your suggestions, really appreciate it! Best wishes,
Nerazzuri wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:04 am
PRcometrue wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:47 pm

Thank you so much!!!
CR001 wrote:
PRcometrue wrote:

Many thanks!

The moment you have your citizenship ceremony, your BRP becomes invalid so you can’t travel unless you have a British passport, or your foreign passport allows you visa free entry back into the UK. If you apply for a British passport on July 12, you’re likely to get your British passport by August 25, although, there is always a very, very tiny chance you don’t get it on time.

Your certificate of naturalisation is not a travel document, and would not be accepted by an airline, so you won’t be allowed to board a plane without a visa, BRP or visa-free eligible passport.

If you remain worried that your passport could take longer to arrive, you can call the council and ask to pay for a private ceremony on the earliest date possible. This could cost you up to £120.

hermanthegerman
Germany

Post by hermanthegerman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:52 pm

Just bear in mind, that if you do the online application they will not allow you to post the documents until your referee has completed the reference online.

If you plan to send things on the day of the ceremony make sure you have a referee lined up with access to the internet who can do the reference straight away.

You will also need a digital passport photo.

The passport office was surprisingly approachable and quick when I applied for my passport so I am sure timelines will work out and you can always contact them after two weeks if you have not heard.

PRcometrue
Newly Registered

Post by PRcometrue » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:29 pm

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help.
Just checked on the website, a few questions I have,

- need Someone to confirm my identity, can I fill the people's information myself, when I have their details? Do I need to print it out and ask for signature? From 1 or 2 people?
- to be the quickest I can, I am preparing documents now, can I apply on-line before my ceremony? Or only after the ceremony?
-photo - I used new service on line naturalisation, not allowed to use the same photo on my referees forms?

I will need -

naturalisation or registration certificate

the passport you used to come into the UK or the foreign passport you’re included on

To apply online need:

a digital photo of you (or a device that takes digital photos and someone to take your photo)

someone who can confirm your identity

supporting documents, as above,

a credit or debit card"

When I applied on line, post all the documents, is it?
hermanthegerman wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:52 pm
Just bear in mind, that if you do the online application they will not allow you to post the documents until your referee has completed the reference online.

If you plan to send things on the day of the ceremony make sure you have a referee lined up with access to the internet who can do the reference straight away.

You will also need a digital passport photo.

The passport office was surprisingly approachable and quick when I applied for my passport so I am sure timelines will work out and you can always contact them after two weeks if you have not heard.

hermanthegerman
Germany

Post by hermanthegerman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:25 pm

- need Someone to confirm my identity, can I fill the people's information myself, when I have their details? Do I need to print it out and ask for signature? From 1 or 2 people?

If you apply online then you need to give the name and email of ONE referee who needs to be a professional and British Passport holder who knows you. You can use the same referee as for your naturalisation if you wish to and they are happy. Your referee then gets a link via email once you have completed your application and it asks them to fill in details. Only once they have done this will you be given the address to send your documents to

- to be the quickest I can, I am preparing documents now, can I apply on-line before my ceremony? Or only after the ceremony?

You can only apply after the ceremony as you need to certificate number

-photo - I used new service on line naturalisation, not allowed to use the same photo on my referees forms?

You can use any recent photo that meets the criteria. It doesn't say anything about the age during the actual application but if you google it should be taken within a few days of submitting...

I will need -

naturalisation or registration certificate

the passport you used to come into the UK or the foreign passport you’re included on

To apply online need:

a digital photo of you (or a device that takes digital photos and someone to take your photo)

someone who can confirm your identity

supporting documents, as above,

a credit or debit card"

When I applied on line, post all the documents, is it?

You will be given the address to send the document (naturalisation certificate and your current passport) to after your referee has completed their bit. You can then send it any way you want to, ie 2nd class normal mail, guaranteed delivery etc