ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FBR/ Irish citizenship for MINOR help please

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Cenright1
Newly Registered
England

FBR/ Irish citizenship for MINOR help please

Post by Cenright1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:51 pm

Hi there,

Please could you advise me-
I am applying for my daughter for Irish Citzenship through grandparent decent.
My daughter and I are British but my mother was born in Northern Ireland.

My mother (daughter' grandmother) lives in Republic of Ireland and has an Irish passport.
I am not sure if my mother was entered on the FBR register herself.

Am I right in saying that I have to apply for my daughter to be entered on the FBR? and this means that you are then potentially granted citizenship or is that another process i have to apply for?

I am so worried that my documents will be returned to me should i miss something off the form- i just want to make sure i am submitting the correct forms- please could you confirm what form i actually need to send off for a minor?

Under the DFA website was an online button to apply- i began the process but did not complete the form or print it out- but at no stage did it ask for witnesses signatures or details- it just asked for my details, my daughters details and the grandmothers details. To be honest- this form seemed pretty straight forward- which makes me think i have not got the correct form or I'm missing a form.

I have not seen a tab to download the form or even a witness form.
I have tried to contact the citizenship and FBR phone line but it is just a pre-recorded message.

I can see the there is a long waiting time for this to be granted and i would like to submit my application correctly- to avoid the application being rejected!

And lastly- i see previous posts regarding ceremonies- will my daughter be expected to travel from the UK to Ireland to receive her certificate- or can it be posted out.

Any help and advise would be greatly received.
Thank you very much.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: FBR/ Irish citizenship for MINOR help please

Post by Michael123 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:02 pm

You are getting things confused.

1. Was your mother born in any part of Ireland?
2. Are you an Irish citizen?

If your mother was born in Ireland, then you are a citizen and your daughter can register bia FBR.

The witness part only appears after you complete the online application, pay and the you will see it when you print it.

Cenright1
Newly Registered
England

Post by Cenright1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:11 pm

Thank you for your reply-
my mother was born in northern ireland and i and my daughter was born in the UK.
Please advise me further

Cenright1
Newly Registered
England

Post by Cenright1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:12 pm

Further to my response i am not an irish citizen

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:21 am

Easy !

You mom is a citizen by birth.

You are a citizen by decent, you just need to get the documents. YOU skip the FBR and go directly to the passport application stage.

Your daughter, file for citizenship by decent by means of the FBR. Complete online application, pay fee, print application and have witnessed. Have photos witnessed, ID witnessed... ect. Mail application, supporting documents to the PO box listed on application. Do not send to embassy!! Older applications, Pre-August 2018 were required to deliver the application and required documents to embassy, not now.. mail to Ireland! Send registered post!

Hope it helps!

Michael

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:31 am

More....

If your daughter DOES NOT have children and is granted citizenship, her children, when born, will be eligible for FBR.. the parent, must be a citizen BEFORE the child is born.. except in your situation, you have been a citizen since birth as your mother was BORN in Ireland (north or republic) you only need to chase thr documents for your passport application.

I was awared my FBR yesterday. My mother and her 6 sisters never knew they had been citizens. Unfortunately, I applied too late and my children are not eligible.

If your daughter has a child/children before her being awared her FBR, not eligible, if she has another child after FBR, that child only is eligible.

Hope I explained this well.

If i can help you further, please quote one of my replies so that I will receive an email notification and I will reply sooner than later.

Michael

Cenright1
Newly Registered
England

Post by Cenright1 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:15 am

Thank you michael for your in depth answer and speedy reply.
I was am just applying for citizenship and an irish passport for my daughter alone- at this stage i do not require one- even though I am a citizen through my mother.

Can you afvise me about the ceremony process? is it compulsory to attend?
also is a photocopy of my current passport,, my daughter's passport and my mothers passport not acceptable? Do all 3 of these have to be a certified copy? if so how do i get this done?
I have the originals of all the other required documents.

Many thanks.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:30 pm

There isnt a ceremony for FBR applicants. This is all done by mail. There is no need to visit ireland for any part of this process.

Current and valid ID is required for your mother, you and your daughter. They must be witnessed by one of the people listed on the application, Clergy, notary... ect.

Any person that not living, you or grandmother.. a death certificate is required as a substitute for a current government ID

After you pay and print application, the list of acceptable witnesses are on the application.

* there has been talk that Doctor is not acceptable witness, but is still printed on the list. I cant say for certain that a medical doctor is or is not now acceptable, just avoid to be sure.

Your mothers birth certificate
Your mothers marriage certificate(s)
Your mothers ID or death certificate.. if ID must be witnessed.

Your birth certificate
Your current ID (you are obviously alive) and witnessed
Your marriage certificate(s)

Your daughter’s birth certificate
Your daughter’s marriage certificate if applicable.

Official, original government certificates only. Ida shall be copied and signed/dated by witness.

Michael