ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR English language requirement: Postgraduate Diploma

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bsc2007
India

ILR English language requirement: Postgraduate Diploma

Post by bsc2007 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:20 pm

Is a post graduate diploma okay to satisfy the English language requirement for a Set(O) application? Applicant has completed 5 years on a Tier 2 dependent visa and has cleared the LITUK exam.

Many thanks,
B

bsc2007
India

Re: ILR English language requirement: Postgraduate Diploma

Post by bsc2007 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:06 pm

There is a 'Diplomas' section on page 16 of this guidance. It states that "Applicants holding a postgraduate diploma from a UK university are considered to have the required level of English for a settlement or citizenship application."

The above wording suggests to me that there is no need to go for another exam (B1). Can experts kindly confirm that my understanding is correct? We do not wish to risk a refusal...

My wife attempted a MSc, but received a Postgraduate Diploma in September 2012. Thereafter she had to leave the UK in October 2012. She returned to the UK in June 2014 as a Tier 2 dependent.

talreh20
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by talreh20 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:07 am

Please read page 17 as well.
So PG diploma she has, will not be accepted if the PG diploma was a professional diploma and she did not need a undergraduate degree to get admission in that PG diploma.

But if she had an undergraduate degree and the admission in PG Diploma was on the basis of that, then PG Diploma will be accepted.

But i think, if she has an undergraduate degree from a UK university then you can use that to prove English.

Alternatively, if she has a degree from her home country, UK NARIC can give the equivalency.

otherwise she needs to pass an english language qualification.

""""""""""""""""""""""""" (Page 17)
You must not accept professional diplomas from either inside or outside the UK,
which do not require an undergraduate degree as an entry requirement, for example:
• accountancy
• marketing
• hotel management
• retail management
• cosmetic science
• food hygiene
""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Please wait for other members to reply. Above is my understanding and I am not an immigration expert but I think this should be the case.

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:51 am

Thanks talreh20!

She has done a Masters in Computer Management in India which was taught in English. She also had TOEFL exam in 2010. Her admission to MSc Software Engineering was based on these qualifications.

I think this should work. I haven't received any response from experts - so will assume that my understanding is correct and go ahead with her ILR application based on the UK PG Diploma.

talreh20
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by talreh20 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:22 am

I would suggest you get a NARIC certificate. Get her masters degree certified from NARIC.

If home office doesn’t accept the diploma, you’ll end up wasting your money.

After you get the equivalency, submit both and Write in the cover letter.