ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permit-Letter from IDA

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pknon
Newly Registered

Work Permit-Letter from IDA

Post by pknon » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:26 pm

Hi there,
I am a new zealander on a working holiday visa, my employer has agreed to apply for a work permit on my behalf however as it is a owner operated irish company-the onus has been put on me to prepare the application, I work in finance and a friend of mind in a similar job as myself. Her application was handled by immigration lawyer organised by her employer, She got a letter from IDA which exempted her from having to do the labour market testing and advertise through FAS and newspapers, I was wondering if anyone knew what this letter was? how i could go about and apply for one??
Any help appreciated!!
Thanks

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:10 pm

How long ago did your friend do this? As far as I'm aware the labour market test needs to be performed for work permit applications (although it could be another hidden rule?).

Just out of interest, have you been in contact with DETE regarding switching over your working holiday visa to a work permit while in the country? I did this and after being told that it was fine (definitely was fine pre-June 2006) I got rejected on the basis of holding a current working holiday visa while in the country. A trip out of Ireland solved this all though.

pknon
Newly Registered

Post by pknon » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:30 pm

My friend's Work permit was approved 3 weeks ago, was handled by an immigration lawyer. I am assuming that IDA can issue a letter stating that 'your company' is unable to fill this position with an EU citizen, i think it also depends if your company is a member of IDA, i'm not entirely sure on this as i'm assuming this is the case. My friend never saw the letter as all she had to do was sign the application and send it back to the lawyers...my friend has sent an email to the lawyer who handled her app but i dont think she will get any replies as her application is completed and i dont think the lawyers going to give out any free info.

My WH visa expires at the end of july, i'm going to england in 2 wks so i want to get my application out when i'm over there. And not having to do the labour market test will alleviate some pressure. As i've had a couple of friends who have had application declined because they were in the country while application was being processed i know its an easy decline so i will be out of the country while my app is in the works.

Just in case, can you tell how i go about apply for FAS, also which newspapers would be the best to advertise in.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:53 pm

That's good that you've got the correct advice. I know of so many who haven't and I was one of them.

I applied and (eventually!) got a green card so didn't have to do the labour market test, so unfortunately cannot help you with this. I do know that the requirements for this are much more relaxed than before. Please do make sure your employer is very thorough in their part of the application as well and that they state that they really need you etc etc. I know of someone who got turned down for a green card because of a sloppy application (but got one later with a better application!).

Some other notes - I actually included a boarding pass and immigration stamp (don't think you'd get one in the UK, so nevermind) to prove I had left Ireland. They may or may got get concerned with this, especially seeing as though you'd just been in the country on a working holiday visa.
My firm also hired an immigration lawyer eventually to work through the immigration mess here and said that work permits are apparently easier to get than green cards (despite it seemingly different).

Good luck with this all. Most people end up getting approved anyway if they are outside of the country.

pknon
Newly Registered

Post by pknon » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:01 pm

esharknz, thanks you very much for your advice and positive words of encouragement!!(i'll look to fax through a copy of my boarding pass to my employer before getting them to submit my application!!)
Hopefully all goes to plan, if anyone else any advice please feel free to post!!
Thanks