ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

RESIDENCE PERMIT

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shIne
Newly Registered

RESIDENCE PERMIT

Post by shIne » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi all,
i have applied for a resedence permit as my wife is an european , it has been almost 4 months , i know that it will take around 6 months but i just want to know whether it is possible to get a job before getting the residence card as my visa expiry is on 17th of july.
any help would be appreciated.

Hexy
Newly Registered

Post by Hexy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:50 pm

You are a bit vague with information for me to look for assistance for you. What country are you from? What country are you in? What country is your wife a resident of? There is a lot of europe out there and each country has its own residency laws I would presume. I guess I would suggest to contact you home country consulate office to get your answers.

mym
Member of Standing

Re: RESIDENCE PERMIT

Post by mym » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:19 pm

shIne wrote:Hi all,
i have applied for a resedence permit as my wife is an european , it has been almost 4 months , i know that it will take around 6 months but i just want to know whether it is possible to get a job before getting the residence card .
Yes. Your right to work derives from marriage to an EEA citizen that is exercising a treaty right in the UK, not from possession of the Residence Card.
--
Mark Y-M
London

Hexy
Newly Registered

Post by Hexy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:09 am

Wow nice to know. Thank you mym.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: RESIDENCE PERMIT

Post by Marco 72 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:30 am

mym wrote:Yes. Your right to work derives from marriage to an EEA citizen that is exercising a treaty right in the UK, not from possession of the Residence Card.
This is correct in theory, but in practice many employers won't be familiar with immigration law and may ask to see a passport with an appropriate visa.

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:04 am

I seem to recall that there is a page on the Home Office website that can be used to reassure employers.
--
Mark Y-M
London

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:01 am

mym wrote:I seem to recall that there is a page on the Home Office website that can be used to reassure employers.
I think it is this page
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/employ ... ersupport/

shIne
Newly Registered

RESIDENCE CARD

Post by shIne » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:09 am

Yes it is correct in theory bcoz most of the emplyers are not familiar with the immigration laws , i have a letter from home office that i have applied for a residence card but it is not helping really bcoz the employers are not really comfortable with that as my visa says it is valid only till 17th of july.
Even if i get a job i wont be able to open a bank account without a passport , that could be another problem, dont know really wat to do, i got an interview on 7th of july , will update you after that.

i am an indian and my wife is a french and she is on a permanent job.
shine

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: RESIDENCE CARD

Post by 86ti » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:13 am

shIne wrote: Even if i get a job i wont be able to open a bank account without a passport , that could be another problem, dont know really wat to do, i got an interview on 7th of july , will update you after that.
Well, you can have your money transferred to your wife's account if you are comfortable with that and later notify your employer if you've managed to get your own account.

Hexy
Newly Registered

Post by Hexy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:05 pm

Being totally uninformed on most of the working aspects of an expat trying to get a job, what does having a bank account have anything to do with the ability to be employed?
What are the exact laws for a spouse of an EEA member? ie Can one work just being married to said spouse or are there forms needed?
I know that being from a non EU country it is frowned upon to "take" a job from an EU member that could fill it.