ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM Romein

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Conky2a
Mood:
United Kingdom

UKM Romein

Post by Conky2a » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:15 pm

Hi all,

As in the UKM timeline / experience thread, my wife’s application for citizenship has been approved and she is waiting for her ceremony invite (born outside the uk to a british mother).

My question is , does the Romein route UKM apply to her daughter.

She was born in London in 1985 , but the british father was never registered on the birth certificate, so she acquired US nationality through her mother. She lived in the UK until 2012, when her RAF serving husband was posted to Cyprus. After returning, he left the RAF and they emigrated to Australia, where they now live with their two young (british) daughters.

So she now has a mother who has acquired UK citizenship via UKM directly by descent, a UK born grandmother (although the father was US national-problem?) and UK citizen maternal great grandparents.

While typing this , I think I am answering my own question, but does Romein apply ?

She also has the option of registering as a citizen T visa, born in the UK and lived at least first ten years but I was just wondering......

Thank you for reading (is sunburn around!)

secret.simon

Re: UKM Romein

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Not Romein itself, but the child can be registered as a British citizen using Form MN1 under Section 3(1).

Form UKM is registration under Section 4C of the British Nationality Act 1981.
Guidance on Registration as British citizen: children wrote: (Page 19)
Children born to a parent registered under section 4C, 4G, 4H, 4I of the British Nationality Act 1981

Section 4C of the British Nationality Act 1981 allows those born abroad before 1 January 1983 to British mothers to be registered as a British citizen. Sections 4G, 4H and 4I are registration provisions for those born before 1 July 2006 who would have become British automatically if their parents had been married. Any child born outside of the UK after the parent who is a British citizen otherwise than by descent will be a British citizen under section 2(1) .

You must normally register a child if:
• the child was born before the parent registered under one of the above sections
• the child would be a British citizen or have an entitlement to be registered under section 3(2) or 3(5)
• where necessary both parents consent to the registration or any objections by the non applying parent are ill founded
• there is no reason to refuse on character grounds
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Conky2a
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Conky2a » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:58 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:16 pm
Not Romein itself, but the child can be registered as a British citizen using Form MN1 under Section 3(1).

Form UKM is registration under Section 4C of the British Nationality Act 1981.
Guidance on Registration as British citizen: children wrote: (Page 19)
Children born to a parent registered under section 4C, 4G, 4H, 4I of the British Nationality Act 1981

Section 4C of the British Nationality Act 1981 allows those born abroad before 1 January 1983 to British mothers to be registered as a British citizen. Sections 4G, 4H and 4I are registration provisions for those born before 1 July 2006 who would have become British automatically if their parents had been married. Any child born outside of the UK after the parent who is a British citizen otherwise than by descent will be a British citizen under section 2(1) .

You must normally register a child if:
• the child was born before the parent registered under one of the above sections
• the child would be a British citizen or have an entitlement to be registered under section 3(2) or 3(5)
• where necessary both parents consent to the registration or any objections by the non applying parent are ill founded
• there is no reason to refuse on character grounds
Thank you for your reply. I am a bit confused, as having read form MN1 it applies to children under the age of 18, and my wife’s daughter is 34......form AN does not seem to apply either for over 18’s as she has not lived in the UK since october 2015. Can you clarify please?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:10 pm

I apologise. I did not read the age of the child in question.

If the child is over 18, then Form T is still an option.

To the best of my knowledge, Romein does not apply. It applies to people born before 1983 and who would have been British citizens if their mothers could pass on their British citizenship before 1983. It does not apply to their children born after 1983.

Does your wife's daughter have any children and where were they born?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Conky2a
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Conky2a » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:16 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:10 pm
I apologise. I did not read the age of the child in question.

If the child is over 18, then Form T is still an option.

To the best of my knowledge, Romein does not apply. It applies to people born before 1983 and who would have been British citizens if their mothers could pass on their British citizenship before 1983. It does not apply to their children born after 1983.

Does your wife's daughter have any children and where were they born?
No problem! She has two children, both born in the UK- 2011 and 2015.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:02 am

Then I suggest that the best way to proceed would be
a) Register your wife's daughter using Form T (which is a lifelong entitlement).
b) Once she is registered as a British citizen, her children could be registered as British citizens under Section 1(3) using Form MN1, as they were born in the UK and one of their parents has become a British citizen.

Conky2a
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Conky2a » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks for your help. T it is then.

As her husband is British, i think the two children already hold UK passports so they should be fine.

Thank you once more.