ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation of child born outside uk

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Amal77
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Naturalisation of child born outside uk

Post by Amal77 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:59 am

Dear Sirs

I and my child received ILR last year through protection route.

My child was born abroad, arrived UK at 9 and just turned 17. Done GCSEs in UK and studying Alevels currently.

I want to apply for her citizenship first to keep the costs under manageable plan.

Could you please let me know which form to use and what documents to attach?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation of child born outside uk

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:22 am

Children born broad can only apply for citizenship when either parent is also applying and the other parent holds ILR.

Children under 18 are registered as british, not naturalised which is for adults.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:12 am

Do you have sole responsibility for your child? If not, what is the UK immigration status of the other parent?

As CR001 has mentioned, children born abroad generally can register as British citizen when at least one parent also applies to become a British citizen.

Note that your child can register as a British citizen based on your citizenship only before their 18th birthday. On and after their 18th birthday, they can apply to naturalise as an adult by meeting all the standard adult requirements in their own right.

There is not a substantial difference between people on ILR and British citizens within the UK. So being on ILR should not impact your child adversely, at least as regards her studies.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Amal77
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Amal77 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:40 pm

Many thanks for your kind support.

Her father also got ILR and doesn’t intend to apply for citizenship in near future due to poor English. Passing English test and also Life in the UK test is extremely difficult for him.

I just want to make sure is she eligible to apply for citizenship while both parents only hold ILR?

Do we need to use form AN or MN1 for her?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:45 pm

I just want to make sure is she eligible to apply for citizenship while both parents only hold ILR?
No she is not eligible. She can only apply when EITHER parent also applies for citizenship and the other parents holds ILR. If you are also applying for citizenship, then the child can apply. If your application fails, it is likely the childs application will also fail.
Do we need to use form AN or MN1 for her?
Form MN1 if applying with you and still under 18. If applying without either parent, child will have to wait till they are 18 and apply on form AN with English B1 and LIUK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.