ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born outside UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

trilobite1981
Mood:
United Kingdom

Child born outside UK

Post by trilobite1981 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:23 pm

I applied my British citizenship as a divorcee through long residency (10 years route). At the time I was having an unmarried partner who was living in Sri Lanka. However, I haven’t included my partner in my citizenship application as we weren’t married at the time. Also she has never been under British immigration control.
My divorce granted on 29/01/2018.
My citizenship granted on 13/11/2018.
Then I got legally married to my partner in Sri Lanka in December 2018.
Then my wife gave birth to my first child in Sri Lanka at the end of January 2019.

Under these circumstances;
1. Is my baby automatically a British citizen?
2. If yes, can I just go ahead and apply for a British passport without further hassle?
3. If not, do I need to register the baby as a British citizen?

Your opinion highly appreciated!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child born outside UK

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:41 pm

1. Yes.

2. Yes, provided you are named on the birth certificate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

trilobite1981
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Child born outside UK

Post by trilobite1981 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:22 am

Thank you very much for the quick response. It’s a good news for me. I am the biological and named father within the birth certificate.
I spoke with the passport office and they informed me to send the following supporting documents along with a PAPER application form. I don’t think the requested documents have listed anywhere else. Therefore I am posting those here for other people’s benefit.

2 passport photos. (Babies under 1 year – don’t need to have their eyes open. If baby need to be hold the supporting hand it should not be visible. Baby can be lay down on light cream blanket).
Covering letter to explain the reason for not having an ID or existing passport for the baby (He is only 5 months old).
Birth certificate.
2 Address proofs (Hospital records etc.).
17 to 25 previously taken social photographs to prove that we are a family. I need to write who is in the photos at the back of each photograph.
Parent’s naturalisation certificate.
Mother’s birth certificate.
Father’s birth certificate.
Parents’ marriage certificate.
Both the parents’ passports at the time of child conceive. So, I need to send my previous passport.
Colour photograph of countersignatory’s passport.

Countersignatory doesn’t have to know the baby but he/she should know the adult for 2 years who is signing the declaration. They said it is acceptable for countersignatory never seen the baby physically as the baby lives in Sri Lanka. One of my UK office friends is happy to sign off the application as I wouldn’t be able to find a suitable person from Sri Lanka.