ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

krssubbu

Passport Checklist

Post by krssubbu » Wed May 29, 2019 3:50 pm

Hi

I applied for British Citizenship on March 21st and got my letter of approval from home office on May 2nd. Also got an invite from local council asking me to attend for ceremony in June.

I applied for myself and my daugther 7 years at the same time. I got a letter of success from Home office only for ME however i got an invite letter for myself and my daughter (not a must to attend) but they said I can collect both certificates at the same time

now question:
- what is needed for British Passport?
- do i need the letter of approval also for my daughter? is Naturalization certificate alone enough from Council?
- what other documents are needed?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Passport Checklist

Post by CR001 » Wed May 29, 2019 4:12 pm

- what is needed for British Passport?
You need the certificates, passport and form.
- do i need the letter of approval also for my daughter?
No.
is Naturalization certificate alone enough from Council?
Yes.
- what other documents are needed?
The form and guidance notes tell you what is required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Wed May 29, 2019 4:17 pm

Thank you CR001 for quick reply

So its for sure I dont need to wait for the approval letter from HMRC? I called them and they were not really helpful - they cant even tell its needed or not for Passport!

other thing is
a. do I need to submit my current foreign passport? I use this for travel for work so anyway I can retain it until i get my new passport?
b. can I apply online for a new British passport?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 29, 2019 4:33 pm

So its for sure I dont need to wait for the approval letter from HMRC?

You mean HO not HMRC (tax authorities). No you do NOT need the approval letter. Only the certificates. An approval letter is just that, a LETTER. You are not British until you have attended your ceremony and received your certificate, which will be dated as the date you attend your ceremony.
I called them and they were not really helpful - they cant even tell its needed or not for Passport!
Depends who you called. If the UKVI call centre, then bear in mind it is outsourced to a third party agent.
a. do I need to submit my current foreign passport? I use this for travel for work so anyway I can retain it until i get my new passport?
Yes you have to submit your original passport.
b. can I apply online for a new British passport?
Yes. You still have to submit your original passport though.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Wed May 29, 2019 4:38 pm

Thanks, Yes meant Home Office (sorry)

anyway I can retain my current passport or when i get back my passport -just because need it for travel for work purpose or can i expedite this?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:10 pm

krssubbu wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:38 pm
anyway I can retain my current passport or when i get back my passport -just because need it for travel for work purpose or can i expedite this?
No, you need to send the original. There is no 'fast track' option for first adult passport. Applications are taking around 2 to 3 weeks at the moment but the closer we get to summer holidays, the longer they might take a it is the busiest time at HMPO.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Wed May 29, 2019 5:17 pm

but why do i send my foreign passport to HMPO? will I get it back? because I need to send it back to my country's embassy for surrender.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:19 pm

You get it back!! It is for identity purposes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Wed May 29, 2019 5:54 pm

cool thanks CR001

krssubbu

British Passport

Post by krssubbu » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:06 am

Hi All

I am happy to say that I got my British Citizenship (6 weeks!) - thanks to this forum and members who have helped - really great help:)

I also got naturalization certificate

Next Step for British passport application, I have been asked to send my

a. naturalization certificate
b. my current passports

with reference to my current passports, I came into the UK 15 years ago with my student visa but since then I have 3 renewed passports (Same country) - First one had student visa, 2nd one had ILR visa and third one I am currently using. First two are expired and cancelled but I carry my 2nd and 3rd passport since my ILR is on the 2nd one.

Now which passports do i need to send for British Passport application?
Also do I need to attend interview?
Any more documentation I need to send?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Passport

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:19 am

Now which passports do i need to send for British Passport application?
All uncancelled passports.
Also do I need to attend interview?
Probably not. They will notify if they want you to attend one.
Any more documentation I need to send?
Please follow the guidance booklet, it is minimal documents.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:21 am

Topics Merged!!!

Useful to read the previous advice already given when you asked similar/same questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks CR001

So when you say all "uncancelled" passports, its bit contracting to what HM Passport website says "Send passport which you used to enter the UK first time"? I used my first passport which is cancelled to come on student visa!

so you think its only the 3rd passport that i use now right? this passport does not contain my ILR visa on it. do i have put this on the covering letter?

THanks,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:02 pm

krssubbu wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:47 am
So when you say all "uncancelled" passports, its bit contracting to what HM Passport website says "Send passport which you used to enter the UK first time"? I used my first passport which is cancelled to come on student visa!
Page 6 of the guidance notes!!

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 9__web.pdf
so you think its only the 3rd passport that i use now right? this passport does not contain my ILR visa on it. do i have put this on the covering letter?
Why would you need proof of ILR for a British passport if you have been naturalised as British???
Char (CR001 not Casa)

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:04 pm

Ok thanks again CR001

I will just send the 3rd passport alone which is uncancelled

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:29 pm

One last question
Am making application for myself and daughter (Two separate application) - can i send it over one courier to save cost? if yes do i write a covering letter?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:49 pm

You don't courier them. You post it or use the post office check and send or apply online and follow the instructions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:55 am

Sorry meant post - can post 2 separate applications in one cover?

Also any more additional documents for minor apart from what we discussed earlier?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:56 am

Yes. You need to ensure that the supporting documents for each one are with each respective application and not just mixed up. It is likely a better idea to send each one in its own envelope you get with the paper form to avoid confusion.

You only need to submit what the guidance asks for and naturalised and registered British citizens. Not sure why you think there is some unstated extra document needed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

krssubbu

Post by krssubbu » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:44 pm

Hello

I submitted my naturalization certificate for myself and my daughter during British passport application but I don’t think we received those back. Does HM passports keep the naturalization certificates?

Thanks

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:49 pm

krssubbu wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:44 pm
I submitted my naturalization certificate for myself and my daughter during British passport application but I don’t think we received those back. Does HM passports keep the naturalization certificates?
They return the naturalisation/registration certificates.

They is the basis of your/your child's British citizenship and may be required in case you (or your descendants) need to prove your British citizenship in future. So keep it safe.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.