ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to apply citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gibbodpe
Newly Registered

When to apply citizenship

Post by gibbodpe » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:04 pm

Can someone please confirm have received conflicting information

Arrived UK 13/09/02 on work permit no breaks or absenses.
ILR obtained 23/08/07

My understanding is that i can apply after i have held ILR for 12 months and be physically in the UK six years after application date? So i can apply on 14/09/08 ? Form Guide An says five years but guessing this has not been updated? Anyway which date? 14/09 or 24/08

Thanks in advance

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:06 pm

My understanding is that is physically present 5 years before (just checked on the HO website)
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:38 pm

try-one wrote:My understanding is that is physically present 5 years before (just checked on the HO website)
it usually takes 6 because normally you need 1 year ILR which can only be obtained after 5 years wP

anjali_devi

Post by anjali_devi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:46 pm

Check the residential requirements, it is 5 years. so 4 years on WP and 1 year on ILR in this case.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/britis ... uirements/

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:48 pm

anjali_devi wrote:Check the residential requirements, it is 5 years. so 4 years on WP and 1 year on ILR in this case.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/britis ... uirements/
Yes it is 5 years but you can't get ILR before 5 years so for all intents and purposes, it ends up being 6 years
It hasn't been 4 years for WP for quite awhile to get ILR. Suggest you research it again.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:57 pm

My understanding is that i can apply after i have held ILR for 12 months and be physically in the UK six years after application date? So i can apply on 14/09/08 ? Form Guide An says five years but guessing this has not been updated? Anyway which date? 14/09 or 24/08
The Guide is right. You are trying to add time periods together and that is not helpful. There are other rules but as regards these two :-
  • you need to have had your ILR for at least one year, and
  • you need to have been physically in the UK exactly 5 years before UKBA will receive the Naturalisation application
So on your dates you can apply on Tuesday 26th August. (You could have applied on Monday 25th but it is a Bank Holiday!) ...... as long as you were not out of the UK late August back in 2003. So check your dates ... any holiday/business trip out of the UK at that time? This 5 year rule is very important ... UKBA have no discretion about whether it is passed or not.

Also, how many days out of the UK in the 5 year period to 26.08.08? And how many outside the UK in the one year to that date? Also, any criminal convictions?

If you are happy all the tests are passed, and you can get the form completed in time, try and get an appointment at a convenient NCS office on 26.08.08.
John

gibbodpe
Newly Registered

Post by gibbodpe » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:15 pm

I have had about 20 days out of the country on work over the last year and have no criminal convictions and was definitely in the Uk August 03, So based on Johns advice i will make an appointment on the 26/08/08.

Thanks for clearing that up

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:29 pm

gibbodpe, that sounds fine, as long as you were out of the UK less than 450 days in the 5 years up to 26.08.08.

All I would add is, don't lead the completion of the form AN to the last moment. For a start you need to get it signed by two referees, and I would hate to think that one or both of your intended referees was out of the country, or away from home, just before you are going to apply.
John